General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-07-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: pauljra

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
Feeling good Paul. I rode the course Saturday morning. I am glad I did that. Now I have a better picture of some of the hills. I did the sprint last year, but hadn't been up Marsh. 3 weeks to go.

Hoping for good weather that day. On the cool side would be ok with me.

Thanks Bill

2013-07-29 2:18 PM
in reply to: bhurley

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Feeling a bit - just a bit - concerned.  But I'm guessing that's normal for one's first HIM!  Laughing

I did $crew the pooch a bit with hotels, as I didn't book until today.  So, I'll be sleeping in my Sequoia at Gunstock in the camp ground Saturday night (ugh).  At least I'll be up early to head over and get a parking spot at Ellacoya (for some reason, the thought of camping and then being stuck waiting for shuttle buses - even though I'm AT Gunstock - is not appealing).

So much for the idea of getting a house on the lake for a week with the family!  Although we just did that in Nantucket after the Oly, so we're getting some good tri-tourism/vacationing in (always trying to make it fun for the family, including - in this case - NOT making them "camp" with me).   Tongue out  Oh well - just happy I have an option to be able to race!

As for training, I just had a middling week after my A race for the season (the Nantucket Oly a week ago).  Started well but fell apart this weekend with a fever (the ick went through the house and I thought I was safe, only to get it pretty much during my Saturday long run...  Sunday's ride was also 90' rather than 180 or so).  Feel better today, so I'm going to do a 30' recovery swim tonight and then plow into what is planned as a huge-ish week (as others are doing) with a set of peak workouts next week and taper for the last.

I was concerned about fitness, having taking about 9-10 days of peak/taper for the race on the 21st, but I think it's mostly in tact (once the bug is gone), with a few key workouts over the next week to finish putting the hay in the barn.

btw, anyone know if we can bring a backpack into transition and leave it there during the race?  I've heard of other races only letting you take in a small, clear bag, and if I can't take my race backpack, I'd like to know sooner than later...  Didn't see anything in the athlete's guide .pdf...

Lastly, I'm still hoping to ride the course this weekend.  Only variable is a kid's swim meet that has me on the fence as to Sat vs. Sun.  Maybe see folks up there?

And cool would be OK with me, too!

Matt

2013-07-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Hotel - You should check out Dover... I think there is a Hampton INN? Probably a 45 min drive to the race. I live in Rye and will drive up race morning. A little over an hour, but really not bad at all and way better than sleeping a car. And I COMPLETELY agree on the shuttle bus.

Bags - I believe you will be able to bring a bag in transition. You could ask on Timberman FB page too.

I wont be up on the course this weekend, but there should be a lot of people on course.

2013-07-29 3:55 PM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Try Rodeway inn Tilton
2013-07-29 7:36 PM

User image

This is also my first HIM, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. To be honest, I'm not worried about the swim. That's usually my strength. I've been doing 50-mile bike rides every Saturday morning, so the bike should be OK too. I'm a bit worried about running 13 miles after the first two but, hey, that's the essence of triathlons. I've done many sprint races and the Ashland Oly in June. Hopefully I can do this one too. I'm planning a bike/run brick this Saturday, which should give me a sense of how my training is progressing.

Many months ago, I found a hotel that's supposed to be an 18-mile drive from the start. I hope that's the case. I definitely don't want to be on a shuttle bus.

I'm eager for any tips that the veterans might have. What's a good time to arrive on Saturday? Are there good dinner options in the area? If I get a flat, should I have a spare tube and CO2 in my jersey, or just wait for road assistance? All wisdom is welcome.
2013-07-30 6:10 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

I'm eager for any tips that the veterans might have. What's a good time to arrive on Saturday? Are there good dinner options in the area? If I get a flat, should I have a spare tube and CO2 in my jersey, or just wait for road assistance? All wisdom is welcome.
[/QUOTE

I would suggest getting there around 5am. That way you can park at the race site and not have to deal with the shuttle and not stress about it. I still dont sleep well the night before a race (15th HIM?), so I am up anyway and might as well hit the road.

Definitely bring 2 Co2s and a tube. The roads are rough and the likeliness of a pinch flat is a bit higher. In general its just not a good idea to rely on the road assistance. I believe there are only 2 support vehicles, so you can be waiting a long time. Also make sure you practice using a CO2. I did this a couple weeks ago and found out my CO2 dispenser was broken. Really glad I did this!

The run - A successful run has more to do with the bike, than the actual run. By far the biggest thing I can stress to first timers is be patient on the bike. The first 11 miles you will see a ton of people hammering and 90% of them will pay for it on the run. If you train with HR, try and keep it as low as possible during this point. (Harder than it sounds) Once you get to mile 26, if you feel "good" you will start to pass a lot of people on the bike and A TON on the run.

Running pace - If your goal pace is hard by mile 3, slow down. Running 15/30 seconds slower per mile is much faster than walking a couple miles.

Hydrate - I shoot for 3 bottles (4 if it is hot) on the bike and drink at every station except the last one on the run. I am big fan of taking small sips at every aid station even if I'm not thirsty on the run.

Mental - The first couple HIMs I did, I would get frustrated watching stronger athletes on the run. It looked like they were doing it effortlessly. A big thing to remember is that no matter how good people look, they are in pain on the run. Through experience I learned to run my own race and not concern myself with what others are doing. This thinking has enabled me to get stronger and perform better.

Hope this helps and sorry for the awful grammer.... But if you have any more questions at all, please ask away.

2013-07-30 6:51 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Paul, Thanks for the tips. My first as well. After riding the course last Saturday I know I am going to have to block out the avg. speed for the first 15 miles.

The race is coming quickly.

Thanks Bill
2013-07-30 7:08 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Halfironmike,

There are a number of good places to eat around the lake. It really depends on what you are looking for. There is a real mix. I can give you some of my favorite spots if you give me an idea of what you are looking for.

Bill
2013-07-30 9:43 AM

User image

NH
Great advice on race execution from Paul. Those first 11 miles of the bike will set up your run. Hammer those and you'll likely struggle at some point later on in the day. At the times we'll be riding and running there is actually a fair amount of shade on the course, so that's a plus. Hopefully the weather is cool. Last weekend was actually a bit chilly in the early morning - that would be a nice problem to have. The water temp was 75 Sunday, btw. For those who have never swum in Lake Winnipesaukee, it's a great body of water - very clean and usually fairly calm in the morning depending on the winds.

Matt, if the bag is an issue in transition, I'll be at the Make-A-Wish area and you could leave it with me there after you set up. We are usually set up right along left side of the bike exit route. Once we know our bib numbers I could stop by your spot and make sure you're all set. Since I'm only riding as a relay entrant, my morning is a lot less stressful.
2013-07-30 11:04 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by wbayek

Great advice on race execution from Paul. Those first 11 miles of the bike will set up your run. Hammer those and you'll likely struggle at some point later on in the day. At the times we'll be riding and running there is actually a fair amount of shade on the course, so that's a plus. Hopefully the weather is cool. Last weekend was actually a bit chilly in the early morning - that would be a nice problem to have. The water temp was 75 Sunday, btw. For those who have never swum in Lake Winnipesaukee, it's a great body of water - very clean and usually fairly calm in the morning depending on the winds.

Matt, if the bag is an issue in transition, I'll be at the Make-A-Wish area and you could leave it with me there after you set up. We are usually set up right along left side of the bike exit route. Once we know our bib numbers I could stop by your spot and make sure you're all set. Since I'm only riding as a relay entrant, my morning is a lot less stressful.

Hey -- I'll be on the Make-A-Wish team as well, so hopefully I'll meet you up there!

Mike
2013-07-30 4:49 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Thanks for all of the great comments, everyone, particularly the point about bringing a spare tube and practicing with my CO2. I've never flatted in a race, but this is a longer race than I've done before.

As for dinner options, I'm just going to look for carbs and protein. Preferably Italian, but I'm not picky.

In the shorter races I've done, I've really tried to leave something in the tank when I finish on the bike. I always hate that first mile of running when my legs are rubbery, but usually after that I can get into a rhythm and just keep plodding away.

Fortunately my usual training ride (from Marblehead, Mass up to Gloucester and back) is full of hills and a few sections of really bumpy road. I'm hoping that it's somewhat similar to this course. It's about 50 miles round trip.

2013-07-31 6:06 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Knowing the run will likely be miserable for me, my bike plan is to 'stay in the box' and not be a hero on any hills. Spin when needed, keep a steady pace, and relax.
2013-07-31 6:53 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Halfironmike,

Frarellos
799 Union Avenue
Laconia, NH 03246
(603) 528-2022
http://www.fratellos.com/locations

Hours of operation:
Dinner nightly from 4:00
Lunch daily 11:30 to 4:00

Lago
1 US Route 25
Meredith, NH 03253
(603) 279-2253
www.thecman.com

It is at the end of Meredith bay. Owned by the commonman.

They are both good, but my choice would be Lago.

I hope that helps.

Bill

2013-07-31 9:34 AM

Looking forward to Timberman in a few weeks as my first 70.3! Does anyone have any comments on this swim without a wet-suit? I am still not 100% comfortable in my full-sleeve (could be a wrong fit) and feel much more powerful in the water without one. I did the NJ State Olympic without one (wasn't legal anyway-very warm fresh water) and felt good (just about 32 minutes). With all the outflow of $$$ on gear, fees, etc., I wanted to wait before getting another full-sleeve or trying a sleeveless. Thoughts? Prior experience?

Thanks and good look to everyone!

Jonah
2013-07-31 9:58 AM
in reply to: btjcg179

User image

Personally I would prefer a non wetsuit legal race, but I always wear one if it is legal. The 2 minutes I pick up wearing my wetsuit is important, but the energy savings is by far the biggest benefit. I barely kick in my wetsuit, so my legs are fresh for the rest of the day.

You have 2.5 weeks before the race, so I suggest doing several OWS in your wetsuit to try and get comfortable. If it absolutely miserable go without. If only a little uncomfortable, definitely wear it.

Also a 5-10 warm up is key. The restriction on the shoulders is tough, but with a sold warm up you can loosen up a lto and it wont feel nearly as tight.

Hope this helps, Paul
2013-07-31 10:40 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by pauljra

Personally I would prefer a non wetsuit legal race, but I always wear one if it is legal. The 2 minutes I pick up wearing my wetsuit is important, but the energy savings is by far the biggest benefit. I barely kick in my wetsuit, so my legs are fresh for the rest of the day.

You have 2.5 weeks before the race, so I suggest doing several OWS in your wetsuit to try and get comfortable. If it absolutely miserable go without. If only a little uncomfortable, definitely wear it.

Also a 5-10 warm up is key. The restriction on the shoulders is tough, but with a sold warm up you can loosen up a lto and it wont feel nearly as tight.

Hope this helps, Paul

Definitely agree with Paul that if you are allowed to wear a wetsuit you are better off wearing it.

However, if your question about the swim without a wetsuit is in regards to temperature or water condition, no wetsuit is fine. The water is 76 right now and that is likely about what it will be race day. The water is generally fairly calm at that time of day, unless it happens to be one of those days when the winds howl all night. And the lake is definitely nice, clean water.

2013-07-31 10:42 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by Mike_D

Hey -- I'll be on the Make-A-Wish team as well, so hopefully I'll meet you up there!

Mike

Definitely! I'll be there Sat most of the day, maybe doing the sprint, but I'll be around for Saturday afternoon before/after bike check-in. Potts is speaking this year to the Wish team, so don't miss that.

I plan to be at the tent area Sunday morning so hopefully see you there as well.
2013-07-31 11:49 AM

Appreciate the input. I plan on getting a few more OWS in my full-sleeve to see if I can iron-out the issue. Temperature is not a problem. I suspect it is a fit issue which is inhibiting a smooth stroke. I suppose I could take the plunge and get a sleeveless. Although, I wonder how much a difference in effort going sans suit would make...In terms of time, I am not overly concerned on the time savings. (unless it would equate to something greater than 4 minutes or so). Being my first 70.3, my only goal is to have a consistently strong race and not kill myself until the very end. Would be very pleased to be well below 6:30:00.

Thanks again
2013-07-31 11:50 AM

User image

And now for the most practical question of all: My kids are 7 and 10. Are there any activities near the race that would keep them moderately occupied in the late morning/early afternoon? I know they'll want to see me cross the finish line (if I make it!) but they've definitely learned from prior races that there's plenty of downtime while I'm out on the bike or plodding through the run. My wife will be with them, but I'm hoping there are things they can do nearby.
2013-07-31 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bhurley Try Rodeway inn Tilton

Win!

Actually had a room left, for fairly short $$ and only one night required - many thanks!  Paul, thanks also for the Dover suggestion - I have a few tardy friends who might end up there, as well...  Tongue out  I don't plan on doing much beyond getting a poor pre-race night's sleep anyway, but I'll take a bed and bathroom - maybe even a coffee maker?!?! - and only 10' more drive time over the back of my SUV any day!

I'm going to ride the course this Saturday and do a single loop of the run after (probably leaving Concord, MA ~5:15 with a friend, so ride start ~8, go for 4 hours - even if that's longer than the course - and then loop the run).  Looong day - but a normal Saturday, at least on THIS board...

Definitely still up for trying to organize a BT meetup post race, but having never done this one I have no idea what a landmark or such would be.  Thoughts?

Matt

2013-07-31 3:13 PM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Glad it worked out. They may be the only rooms left without a 2 night or 3 night min.

2013-07-31 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Anyone else staying in/near Tilton and traveling solo? I'm at the Tilton Inn (?) Sat night. Wondering about dinner places, etc. Anyone up for a BT meet-up dinner?
2013-08-01 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Mike_D Anyone else staying in/near Tilton and traveling solo? I'm at the Tilton Inn (?) Sat night. Wondering about dinner places, etc. Anyone up for a BT meet-up dinner?

As long as I can get pancakes and eggs, I'm in!  It's an odd pre-race dinner, but it's what everyone in our family has before a race (from a mile to a 70.3) when we can.  Not always easy to find, so we usually go with pizza as a backup.  What do you all typically eat the night prior?

Kinda bummed that it won't be the usual production with Kim and the kids (I've spared them having to wait around at this race, as I'm sure I'll be on course a looooooooooooong time, and will be there sans fam), but would be psyched to see some BT folks!  That'd take the sting out.  Laughing

Haven't googled it, but I assume the Rodeway Tilton the Tilton Inn must be fairly close by one another...

Matt

2013-08-01 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Mike_D Anyone else staying in/near Tilton and traveling solo? I'm at the Tilton Inn (?) Sat night. Wondering about dinner places, etc. Anyone up for a BT meet-up dinner?

As long as I can get pancakes and eggs, I'm in!  It's an odd pre-race dinner, but it's what everyone in our family has before a race (from a mile to a 70.3) when we can.  Not always easy to find, so we usually go with pizza as a backup.  What do you all typically eat the night prior?

Kinda bummed that it won't be the usual production with Kim and the kids (I've spared them having to wait around at this race, as I'm sure I'll be on course a looooooooooooong time, and will be there sans fam), but would be psyched to see some BT folks!  That'd take the sting out.  Laughing

Haven't googled it, but I assume the Rodeway Tilton the Tilton Inn must be fairly close by one another...

Matt

They're 4 miles apart on the same road. Should be an easy find .

The Tilton Diner is about 1/2 way between, and yes, pancakes and eggs are available at dinner. Sound like a plan? I'll be at Gunstock for packet pick up at 11 or so, as part of the Make A Wish racing we have a meet & greet with Andy Potts (!!) which should be fun. I'll do early bike check in as well, then go relax and get ready to destroy myself on Sunday all in the name of fun & fitness ;^).
2013-08-02 8:13 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by Mike_D

The Tilton Diner is about 1/2 way between, and yes, pancakes and eggs are available at dinner. Sound like a plan? I'll be at Gunstock for packet pick up at 11 or so, as part of the Make A Wish racing we have a meet & greet with Andy Potts (!!) which should be fun. I'll do early bike check in as well, then go relax and get ready to destroy myself on Sunday all in the name of fun & fitness ;^).

I'd love to do this but not sure I'll be able to pull off dinner in Tilton. We're still trying to put all the weekend details together but a lot of my family is trying to get up there for the entire weekend so I'll have to see.

In any event, I should see you at least (Mike) at the Make-A-Wish area and at the Potts gathering. Definitely come by there on Sat. when you do the bike checkin, and stop by Sunday before the race for some last minute mojo. It's an awesome group of people.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8