General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-07-10 5:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
Originally posted by AllisonLN

I'm heading north this weekend for some father daughter bonding on the Timberman course. I'm not from the area, and I'm not familiar with the roads, so I'm hoping you can help! I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give on the road conditions. I'm already nervous about the hills, but what's the traffic like on an average weekend? Can we ride the whole course or will we be dodging heavy traffic in some places? It looks like most people park just inside the park? Any other words of wisdom? This will be my first Timberman and 70.3, and I can't wait! Happy training and hope to see some of you this weekend or in August! Thanks!

Adding the above post.

This is the WORST weekend to do the course! NASCAR is in town and the course does goes right past the track. They will likely have the road closed to south->north traffic, so you can't even do the whole course likely. Even if you could, those miles around the speedway will be a nightmare.

It still is worth it to go to Ellacoya and ride the beginning (and therefore the end). The raceway is about 20 miles into the course, so you can easily do quite a bit of the course and turn around. The part of the course you'd miss is the flattest and most boring part anyway, and you'll be able to do the hardest part to get a feel for it. You can park at Ellacoya on the road without even going into the park.

The roads are great, with just a few areas of rough roads. Traffic is usually not too bad, and the shoulder is huge for much of the ride, like 6 feet or more, so very doable on regular days. There are always lots of people riding the course as well, so cars are used to cyclists. There are a few left turns which can be a problem on a normal day, but not usually too bad. Of course earlier is better, but I've ridden it on Sat afternoons and not had any issues.

Which day and when are you doing it? I would be up for a guided tour on Saturday if you want more company, but if you're trying to do some quality daughter time that's great.

Edited by wbayek 2013-07-10 6:20 PM

2013-07-15 2:08 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Originally posted by wbayek

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey New Englanders (others, too, but tougher for non-semi-locals),  

I'm thinking of doing a pre-ride on course, and possibly about half of the run after, on either the Aug. 3/4 weekend or maybe July 28 (but that would be way tougher for me logistically).  Any interest in a one day, up and back sufferfest?

It's easier to self-support with more riders, even if we're at different paces (as long as we ride with phones)...

Matt

I'd be interested in at least the bike portion either or both days. Let me know when you're planning to be there and I'll do everything I can to meet up at Ellacoya. You can probably park right there unless there is an event going on. There are lots of people on the course these days, so we'd likely see other cyclists as well.

Any idea what your bike pace might be just so we have an idea? I rode the course July 4th at about 215 watts in 2:50. I just got power a few weeks ago and I'm trying to dial in the correct effort level. Easier would be ok with me as well.

215 Avg Watts on a training ride?! You are gonna smash the course with that kind of base. Well done!
2013-07-15 2:27 PM
in reply to: pauljra

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
This will be my first half IM as well. I did the sprint last year as my first Tri. If the weather cooperates I am planning to ride the course Saturday 7/27, and run some of it after. I have the Mill city international this weekend. My plan is to get on the course early.

Thanks for the course description.

Maybe I will see some of you out there.

Good luck with your training.

Bill
2013-07-15 7:30 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by pauljra

I'm thinking of doing a pre-ride on course, and possibly about half of the run after, on either the Aug. 3/4 weekend or maybe July 28 (but that would be way tougher for me logistically).  Any interest in a one day, up and back sufferfest?

It's easier to self-support with more riders, even if we're at different paces (as long as we ride with phones)...

Matt

I'd be interested in at least the bike portion either or both days. Let me know when you're planning to be there and I'll do everything I can to meet up at Ellacoya. You can probably park right there unless there is an event going on. There are lots of people on the course these days, so we'd likely see other cyclists as well.

Any idea what your bike pace might be just so we have an idea? I rode the course July 4th at about 215 watts in 2:50. I just got power a few weeks ago and I'm trying to dial in the correct effort level. Easier would be ok with me as well.

215 Avg Watts on a training ride?! You are gonna smash the course with that kind of base. Well done!

• Haha, 214 NP, avg as 201. As much as I've been trying, I can't keep my watts down up some of those hills so my VI is pretty high on this course (sorry for the power geekery). But in fairness to me, this ride was part of my personal "bike camp week", so I did ride 93 miles the day before and 101 the day after.

If anyone else is out there, I'm planning to ride it this weekend, probably Sat morning.
    2013-07-16 3:20 PM

User image

Matt

• Haha, 214 NP, avg as 201. As much as I've been trying, I can't keep my watts down up some of those hills so my VI is pretty high on this course (sorry for the power geekery). But in fairness to me, this ride was part of my personal "bike camp week", so I did ride 93 miles the day before and 101 the day after.

If anyone else is out there, I'm planning to ride it this weekend, probably Sat morning.

I hear ya on the hills and the VI. Tough to keep it down. I actually went back to a 53-39 crank this year, so going to be completely screwed on the first 11 miles. It made sense for my overall race schedule, but its going to be tough to "spin" at Timberman.

Unfortunately I most likely wont be doing a recon ride this year, but thanks for the updates on the roads!
    2013-07-16 3:41 PM

User image

NH

I hear ya on the hills and the VI. Tough to keep it down. I actually went back to a 53-39 crank this year, so going to be completely screwed on the first 11 miles. It made sense for my overall race schedule, but its going to be tough to "spin" at Timberman.

Unfortunately I most likely wont be doing a recon ride this year, but thanks for the updates on the roads!

I'm not sure I could do Marsh Hill with a 39 without some real discomfort. What do you have on the back? I had a compact and an 11-28, and even then my cadence was in the low 60s going over 300 watts at times.

2013-07-19 9:28 AM

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I have a question about nutrition for the bike. I have been training with what they are going to offer on the Timberman course. I plan to have my speedfil between the aero bars filled with power bar perform and an extra on my down tube. I figure I will swap out more at the aid stations. My big question is about GU. I was wondering if you would just carry enough to get past the first aid station or would you carry enough for the whole race. I was thinking maybe I would put 4 or 6 GU in my bento box, and pick the rest up on the way. During running races I don’t usually take what is on the course, but thought I would take the advice of not carrying everything for a 70.3.
    If anyone is interested I sent a question in about what flavors would be used and here is what they said.
    Powerbar perform Lemon-Lime on the bike and Orange-Mango on the run are typically what is provided
    GU: Vanilla Bean, Strawberry Banana (no caffeine)
    Chomps: Watermelon (no caffeine)
    Roctane: Cherry Lime, Blueberry Pomegranate
    You advice is appreciated
    Thanks Bill
    2013-07-19 10:05 AM
    in reply to: bhurley

User image

Veteran
    Austin, Texas

Originally posted by bhurley I have a question about nutrition for the bike. I have been training with what they are going to offer on the Timberman course. I plan to have my speedfil between the aero bars filled with power bar perform and an extra on my down tube. I figure I will swap out more at the aid stations. My big question is about GU. I was wondering if you would just carry enough to get past the first aid station or would you carry enough for the whole race. I was thinking maybe I would put 4 or 6 GU in my bento box, and pick the rest up on the way. During running races I don’t usually take what is on the course, but thought I would take the advice of not carrying everything for a 70.3. If anyone is interested I sent a question in about what flavors would be used and here is what they said. Powerbar perform Lemon-Lime on the bike and Orange-Mango on the run are typically what is provided GU: Vanilla Bean, Strawberry Banana (no caffeine) Chomps: Watermelon (no caffeine) Roctane: Cherry Lime, Blueberry Pomegranate You advice is appreciated Thanks Bill

Well, FWIW, here's what I'm planning to do (at least at this point).

Same on Perform.  Been using that the last month or two on my longer rides to make sure there are no issues.  The full strength is a bit concentrated, but I figure I'll mix my 2 bottles a bit more dilute then take a perform and a water on course.  

I've also tried both GU and Roctane on long rides.  Both work, but they're sweet and sticky (hands and lips just feel gross with even like a nano-drop of that stuff).  However, I usually do long rides with some Newtons (fig, that is, not the shoes).  I bring 6 or 8 and take 2 every 30' for the first 2 hours.  Then I usually switch to GU/Roctane (whatever's in the cupboard that day) for the last couple 30' time blocks before the run.  2 Newtons is about the same as a GU, except without caffeine or salt - which is part of why I bring a couple gels with me, so I can swap one in if I mentally need the boost of taking something with caffeine (I don't know if it actually does much physiologically, as the amount is very small for anyone who regularly drinks coffee/tea and is somewhat adapted to caffeine - that said, it seems to work so I'm bringing some!).

If the Newtons (again, fig, not shoes) aren't getting it done from a jazz (caffeine) or salt standpoint, then I plan to just start with the gels and live off the course.

On the run, I don't use Newtons (again, fig, not shoes - I do use those).  Tongue out  Here I only take gels.  Usually, I keep to the every 30' schedule, although I might push these out to ever 45' or just skip one if I'm feeling fueled.  Less in the belly on the run the better, for me, as long as I'm not near bonking.  If I do get that feeling, I've found it takes about 5' for a gel to kick in after taking it (amazing how fast it works when you really do get into bonk territory - I just try hard not to let it ever get away from me, and even more so with drinking.  Anytime I'm thirsty, I drink - not on a schedule, as some do, but by feel... that and I can compare to usual usage for a given temp to make sure I'm not too "race focused" to stop listening to my thirst).  For drink, I usually go with just water on the run, but will occasionally take sports drink (as much so that if I get handed one on a run it doesn't throw me - unless it's HEED.  That stuff completely turns my stomach, and might be the only thing that does, so I actually actively avoid it).

Kind of a mix of bring some of my own stuff and living off the course, but being sure that even if I space and bring NOTHING with me on the bike or run that I **can** live off the course entirely if need be.

Whew - that was more thought than I've given this consciously yet!  Thanks for the nudge to really think through the nutrition plan for race day rather than just what I've been doing in training.  Good luck!

Matt

2013-07-19 10:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by bhurley

I have a question about nutrition for the bike. I have been training with what they are going to offer on the Timberman course. I plan to have my speedfil between the aero bars filled with power bar perform and an extra on my down tube. I figure I will swap out more at the aid stations. My big question is about GU. I was wondering if you would just carry enough to get past the first aid station or would you carry enough for the whole race. I was thinking maybe I would put 4 or 6 GU in my bento box, and pick the rest up on the way. During running races I don’t usually take what is on the course, but thought I would take the advice of not carrying everything for a 70.3.
    If anyone is interested I sent a question in about what flavors would be used and here is what they said.
    Powerbar perform Lemon-Lime on the bike and Orange-Mango on the run are typically what is provided
    GU: Vanilla Bean, Strawberry Banana (no caffeine)
    Chomps: Watermelon (no caffeine)
    Roctane: Cherry Lime, Blueberry Pomegranate
    You advice is appreciated
    Thanks Bill

Hi Bill, I suggest that you carry all the gels you need on the bike. I avoid the bike aid stations like the plague. I carry 2 bottles (need 3 for the 56 miles) and 4 gels on the bike. That way I only need to grab one on course bottle and all my nutrition needs are covered.

The run - I use blocks, so I bring my own nutrition on the course no matter what. If you are comfortable with everything that is available on course, you should be fine just using that. For me, the difference between Vanilla (awful) and straw/banana is pretty significant though.

As you can probably tell, I am very robotic with my nutrition. (what I take, when I take it, etc..) I am pretty much self supplied the entire race besides the liquids on the run.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Best, Paul
    2013-07-19 10:26 AM

User image

I'm not sure I could do Marsh Hill with a 39 without some real discomfort. What do you have on the back? I had a compact and an 11-28, and even then my cadence was in the low 60s going over 300 watts at times.

I run an 11-25 cassette, so I will definitely being pushing the outer limit.
    2013-07-19 10:49 AM

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks Matt and Paul

Paul I usually do the same thing myself in regards to self support. I am doing an international on Sunday so I want to try to use some of what I will use at Timberman.

I was wondering if I would need more fuel that the 4 gels. I feel like I dont eat as much as a should at times.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

2013-07-19 12:55 PM

User image

Thanks Matt and Paul

Paul I usually do the same thing myself in regards to self support. I am doing an international on Sunday so I want to try to use some of what I will use at Timberman.

I was wondering if I would need more fuel that the 4 gels. I feel like I dont eat as much as a should at times.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

I would say overall 4 gels is on the lighter side. I forgot to mention that I eat half a power bar within the first 10-15 minutes of getting on the bike. I then wait 30 minutes and take my first gel and a gel every 30 after that. If my stomach feels good I will take down a 5th gel rolling into transition.
    2013-07-19 1:34 PM

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks Paul. That falls right in line with what I was going to try to do.

Thanks for the advice
    Bill

Edited by bhurley 2013-07-19 1:35 PM
    2013-07-20 12:10 PM

User image

NH
    I just got back from riding part of the course, and I have a bad road update.

On the way back, after the Marsh hill descent, you make a 90 degree right turn onto Frank Bean Road. It's a very short hill, only about 1/3 mile and maybe 60 feet up. The road has always been rough there, kinda like cobblestone, but I guess the heat/rain over the past few weeks caused some of the cracks to really open up. There are some serious potholes throughout that short section. If you can, stay to the middle of the road. If you have space and can be near the middle, it's no problem, but if you're in a pack I could see some bike wheel damage and/or crashes on that section. If it's that bad race day I hope they put some cones in there to keep bikes safe.
    2013-07-22 9:07 AM

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    If you had to guess would you say it will be wetsuit legal? I know usually the lake actually starts to cool off a little in August. The merrimack river in Lowell was 80 degrees saturday, but dropped to 77 yesterday.

Thanks Bill

Edited by bhurley 2013-07-22 9:08 AM
    2013-07-22 3:40 PM

User image

NH
    The race will almost certainly will be wetsuit legal. I would imagine it has been every year they've had it. I've never seen the water over 78 for any length of time, and it rarely actually gets that warm. Though this past Saturday it was 79. That was after a crazy hot week though. It will most likely be in the 73-75 degree range by race day.

2013-07-23 6:52 AM

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks Wbayek. That is what I thought, but am glad to see another opinion.

2013-07-23 9:01 PM

User image

For me the question is whether to wear my wetsuit or not. On one hand, it provides buoyancy and I tend to think it helps with speed in the water. On the other hand, I almost always find myself cursing in T1 when I try to get the thing off. I'm leaning toward wearing it (also amortizes the cost!) but I'm curious what others think.
    2013-07-23 9:07 PM
    in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Master
    Just South of Boston
    I'm a go for the wetsuit. Seems to make the swim a bit easier and I usually don't have any issues getting it off.

My bigger issue is a bad hammy which is getting worse and has reduced my running to near zero. Doing PT starting this week and hoping for the best. I may end up having to walk the run.....
    2013-07-24 12:17 PM
    in reply to: Mike_D

User image

New user
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Halfironmike the wetsuit strippers are great. They will have you out in a few seconds. I say go for the wetsuit and use the the strippers.

Bill
    2013-07-24 2:54 PM

User image

NH

Halfironmike the wetsuit strippers are great. They will have you out in a few seconds. I say go for the wetsuit and use the the strippers.

Bill

Yeah, just pull your arms out while running along the shore, flop on the rug and the wetsuit strippers have you set up in a second.

2013-07-24 4:22 PM

User image

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have only done sprint races and one Olympic distance, so wetsuit strippers are a new concept to me. I'm definitely going to wear the wetsuit. Now, with that crossed off my mental checklist, I need to focus on my run training. I'm one of those rare triathletes who are strongest in the swim, pretty good on the bike and a terrible runner!
    2013-07-25 7:29 PM
    in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Originally posted by halfironmike

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have only done sprint races and one Olympic distance, so wetsuit strippers are a new concept to me. I'm definitely going to wear the wetsuit. Now, with that crossed off my mental checklist, I need to focus on my run training. I'm one of those rare triathletes who are strongest in the swim, pretty good on the bike and a terrible runner!

I"ll echo what others are saying and suggest wearing the wetsuit. As a reference, I swim roughly 2 minutes faster with my wetsuit for a HIM. Another benefit is the buoyancy helps conserve energy (less kicking) for the rest of the day.
    2013-07-28 1:38 PM
    in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Just had a solid week of training and feeling a bit tight/tired, but overall really good. I have my biggest week of the year coming up (volume and intensity)and then I will start to back it down for two weeks.

I have pretty high expectations for Timberman this year and really excited to get out and see how things shake out

How is everyone else feeling?
    2013-07-29 9:02 AM

User image

NH

Just had a solid week of training and feeling a bit tight/tired, but overall really good. I have my biggest week of the year coming up (volume and intensity)and then I will start to back it down for two weeks.

I have pretty high expectations for Timberman this year and really excited to get out and see how things shake out

How is everyone else feeling?

Feeling great right now Paul. I rode the course again this Sat, and it was a little windy with the wind straight across 106. It's great to see all the riders out on the course these last few weeks. I'm only riding this year as a relay leg but I'm getting pretty excited. I have two 70.3 right after Timberman (Rev3 and Pumpkinman), so it'll be a busy 3 weeks.

I am a Make-A-Wish racer for Timberman, and I just found out that Andy Potts is the Wish guest this year! So he'll be speaking to us Saturday and hanging out with the Wish racers for a while. Can't wait for that. If anyone has any advice for him, let me know and I'll pass it on.

And now a shameless plug. Ignore if you want, I'm not trying to be overbearing.

I know we all get hit up for these things, but if you feel so inclined please go to my page and consider helping out some great kids. At least go and read about the charity.

http://ironman.kintera.org/makeawish2013/warrenbayek
    New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8