General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-08-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread

So, Tilton Diner on Saturday evening.  I'm going to try the early to bed routine (feel like a "blue-hair" eating early!) - how's 5:30 or 6:00pm at the Diner sound?

I'll be there with 2 others who're racing, and sounds like Mike is in.  Anyone else?  All are welcome!  

Not sure how many people are staying that far out…  Yell

mmmmmmmm… pancakes….. mmmmmmmmm

In any event, good luck all.

Matt

2013-08-15 8:48 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by Mike_D

OK, good. The usual 'jam all your stuff by your front wheel' set up . Thanks! I was thinking it was going to an IM like thing w/ separate bike & run bags, etc.

And Mike, Make-A-Wish has a tent area right along the start of the bike/run course.

You can use the Make-A-Wish area as a home base to leave any other stuff you want Sunday morning as well. You'll see it when you head to Ellacoya to check your bike in. Definitely head to that area on Sat before bike check in and meet up with everyone. And we get your own port a potties so no lines/no waiting Sunday morning! They have a kids race at 2, so I'll be there as I'm hoping my youngest does it this year. I'll see you at Gunstock for the Potts meeting! Can't wait.
2013-08-15 8:52 AM

User image

NH
Quick course update. Saw a road sweeper running along the side of the road yesterday. And it's a good thing the race wasn't yesterday, winds were CRAZY. Like 20 mph steady and gusts that were blowing me all over the place. The wind is dead today and Sunday looks great, so no worries with that.

Good luck everyone, and especially the first timers - remember to ENJOY the day, this is a hobby for all of us!
2013-08-15 8:54 AM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Matt -- I'm in, blue hair timing or not. Early to bed for me, too. See you @ the Tilton diner.

Warren -- good to know! I'll be at Gunstock about 11 AM hopefully, get checked in, then go to the Potts meet & greet. I'm looking to get to bike check in at 2 or so, and get that done. Hoping to drive part of the bike course Sat PM as well. Why not get myself completely psyched out before I start?
2013-08-15 10:41 AM

User image

This is my first 70.3 and my first WTC event...Could someone enlighten me on what the check-in/bike check-in/Saturday athlete meeting will entail. Also, if there are any other "must do" things I am forgetting know about those would be great too. I guess I am mostly wondering how much time each will take in order to plan my Saturday with my family. Thanks.
2013-08-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: k1200rsvt

User image

NH
Originally posted by k1200rsvt

This is my first 70.3 and my first WTC event...Could someone enlighten me on what the check-in/bike check-in/Saturday athlete meeting will entail. Also, if there are any other "must do" things I am forgetting know about those would be great too. I guess I am mostly wondering how much time each will take in order to plan my Saturday with my family. Thanks.

Registration is at Gunstock, which is a ski resort about 5 miles from Ellacoya (which is the race site). You will register and get your goody bag and be corralled through the Ironman store to spend money there.

Bike check-in is at the race site. You will bring your bike to transition, it will be checked for whatever it is they check, and then you'll leave your bike at your transition spot, which is assigned based in your bib number.

The sprint race is Sat. morning, and there is stuff going on at Gunstock much of Sat. Pros meeting, more registrations, etc. Ellacoya has a Make-A-Wish kids race at 2, for very young kids. Otherwise Saturday is yours to do whatever you want. I don't know of anything else you really need to be at.

2013-08-15 12:27 PM

User image

NH
It's happening folks. I just rode past Ellacoya. Porta potties are in place, tents are going up, directional signs are painted on the roads, warning signs for drivers are flashing to expect delays on the race dates!
2013-08-15 12:38 PM

User image

Registration is at Gunstock, which is a ski resort about 5 miles from Ellacoya (which is the race site). You will register and get your goody bag and be corralled through the Ironman store to spend money there.

Bike check-in is at the race site. You will bring your bike to transition, it will be checked for whatever it is they check, and then you'll leave your bike at your transition spot, which is assigned based in your bib number.

The sprint race is Sat. morning, and there is stuff going on at Gunstock much of Sat. Pros meeting, more registrations, etc. Ellacoya has a Make-A-Wish kids race at 2, for very young kids. Otherwise Saturday is yours to do whatever you want. I don't know of anything else you really need to be at.

Great, thanks. Is the bike check pretty quick in and out? The event schedule says something about an Athlete Briefing at 3:00 at Gunstock? Is that just rules and course overview etc? Finally, do you know any more about the Kids Race? I had found that it at 2:00 and benefits March of Dimes, but don't seem to see any ages/distance.

Thanks again for the run down.
2013-08-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: pauljra

User image

Originally posted by pauljra

The live tracking is a bit misleading. There are a couple check points during the race and its updated on the website. Its pretty far behind real time though. I think it is around mile 28 on the bike and 3 different locations on the run.

Paul - thanks, as always, for the inside scoop. This is good to know. And thanks for the helmet sticker info. I have you to thank for my sweet new aero helmet!
2013-08-15 1:21 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by k1200rsvt

Great, thanks. Is the bike check pretty quick in and out? The event schedule says something about an Athlete Briefing at 3:00 at Gunstock? Is that just rules and course overview etc? Finally, do you know any more about the Kids Race? I had found that it at 2:00 and benefits March of Dimes, but don't seem to see any ages/distance.

Thanks again for the run down.

Bike checkin takes a few minutes max.

I don't know about the athlete's briefing, I honestly have never been. Don't tell the Ironman people.

The kids race is really short, maybe a few hundred yards max. It's put on by the Make-A-Wish crew. It's really just for the fun of having the little tikes run down the real finishers chute and through the finishing arches of the race. A few old-ish kids (like mine last year) might run it like it's a race, but it's really just for fun. Make-A-Wish likes you to register a little early just so they know who's doing it. Not sure what the official ages are, but they start as young as you want and go to maybe 13-14.
2013-08-15 1:25 PM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
I was curious about the 3:00 Athlete briefing as well. Is that just the normal rules talk?

Thanks Bill

2013-08-15 1:58 PM

User image

Thanks for the additional information.
2013-08-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Paul - thanks, as always, for the inside scoop. This is good to know. And thanks for the helmet sticker info. I have you to thank for my sweet new aero helmet!

Thats awesome... I've already spent all my money, so might as well start spending yours!

If you can, go for a spin with the new helmet. The two big differences is that it gets a bit warmer than the standard rode helmet. (Less vents) I have never really noticed a big difference, but some people mention it. The other difference is you hearing with an aero helmet. Again not a big difference, but the wind can be loud and drown out other exterior noises. ie; cars, athletes, etc.

2013-08-15 2:18 PM
in reply to: bhurley

User image

Originally posted by bhurley

I was curious about the 3:00 Athlete briefing as well. Is that just the normal rules talk?

Thanks Bill

Guilty here as well, never been. I assume its just a review of the athletes guide and overall rules.
2013-08-15 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pauljra
Originally posted by bhurley I was curious about the 3:00 Athlete briefing as well. Is that just the normal rules talk? Thanks Bill
Guilty here as well, never been. I assume its just a review of the athletes guide and overall rules.

At Nantucket this year, they made you attend the briefing and get a hand marking at it - you couldn't get your packet and numbers without it!

Clearly not a problem here (maybe with all WTC events?), as you can check in the day PRIOR to the meeting, if you like.

Good to know, else I would have been going back and forth from Gunstock to Ellacoya to Gunstock like a ping pong ball!

Given that check in doesn't take a ton of time (I assume you can park there whilst doing it?), I might actually get up there a bit later on Saturday…  Is bike check in a zoo/parking a problem by a certain point in the day?

Was initially thinking Gunstock at 11 or 12 and bike right around 2, but I might get to Gunstock closer to 2, then go right and rack the bike.  Any Tman vets with experience that suggests that is a bad idea?

Thanks.

RACE DAY SOON!  WOOT WOOT!  (yes, I'm getting nutty with this tapering)

Matt

2013-08-15 2:58 PM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Thanks Paul

2013-08-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

I might get to Gunstock closer to 2, then go right and rack the bike.  Any Tman vets with experience that suggests that is a bad idea?

Solid plan and you wont have any issues. I live a little over an hour away, so I like to just get everything done on the earlier side and head back home.

SO PSYCHED TO RACE! I love Timberman and feel more fit than I ever have, so really cant wait to take on the day. Such a great time and makes all the hard work worth it!
2013-08-15 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by pauljra I might get to Gunstock closer to 2, then go right and rack the bike.  Any Tman vets with experience that suggests that is a bad idea?
Solid plan and you wont have any issues. I live a little over an hour away, so I like to just get everything done on the earlier side and head back home. SO PSYCHED TO RACE! I love Timberman and feel more fit than I ever have, so really cant wait to take on the day. Such a great time and makes all the hard work worth it!

Just tell me you're under 45 or over 49.  Wink

2013-08-16 5:46 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by pauljra I might get to Gunstock closer to 2, then go right and rack the bike.  Any Tman vets with experience that suggests that is a bad idea?
Solid plan and you wont have any issues. I live a little over an hour away, so I like to just get everything done on the earlier side and head back home. SO PSYCHED TO RACE! I love Timberman and feel more fit than I ever have, so really cant wait to take on the day. Such a great time and makes all the hard work worth it!

Just tell me you're under 45 or over 49.  Wink

Haha. You've got a couple years on me, so I'll be trying to chase you down!
2013-08-16 5:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey all -- can't believe the weekend is here. Busily assembling gear, getting car packed tonight, then heading up tomorrow AM. Will likely hit Gunstock sometime after 11 AM, then have a Make-A-Wish meet & greet with Andy Potts at 12:30, after that I'll head over to ellacoya to dump the bike, then take a drive of the bike course.

I can't say I'm as fit as I should be for this. My swim will be great, bike will be so-so (39x25, here I come!), and we'll see what happens from that. Regardless, I'm happy to be there, and welcome whatever the day has in store. I'm there to finish, and that I will do, weather it takes 6, 7 hours or more is OK with me. All I ask is that you guys leave some food for us late finishers

See everyone tomrorrow & Sunday!!

Mike

Edited by Mike_D 2013-08-16 5:56 AM
2013-08-16 8:20 AM

User image

Mike D - you have the right attitude. Ultimately it's about having fun. None of us are pros. I am also fairly confident about the swim and I usually do well on the bike. Only question is whether the run will be a really tough slog or if my body will rise to the challenge. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

2013-08-16 8:59 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by halfironmike

Mike D - you have the right attitude. Ultimately it's about having fun. None of us are pros. I am also fairly confident about the swim and I usually do well on the bike. Only question is whether the run will be a really tough slog or if my body will rise to the challenge. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

True enough! The reality for me is that I have an injury which, depending on the day, may force me to walk 13.1 miles after the bike (very small tear in upper hammy by hip joint). So, A nice walk in NH with some good scenery is a lovely way to spend part of a Sunday afternoon .
2013-08-16 11:57 AM

User image

I spent most of this winter with hamstring tightness and pain. Turned out to be caused by a problem with the piriformis muscle (in the glutes) which I was able to solve with serious sports massages and some tricky new stretches. All is good now and I will just need to give it everything I have on Sunday. Injuries are awful and annoying, but for those of us over 40 they're also a reality.
2013-08-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4564353

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hope everyone is here and checked in. Beautiful day!!! I'm at the Make a Wish foundation meet and greet awaiting Andy Potts. Then to bike check in, drive a bit of the bike course then head to theology for a bit.

Dinner at Tiltin Diner at 6.
2013-08-17 5:54 PM

User image

Just finished up dinner and getting ready for tomorrow.

Wishing everyone a great race and really enjoy the day! Its gonna be awesome!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8