Elite Sports Ventura County
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 35s
Overall Rank = 14/199
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/45
Pre-race routine:

Was supposed to run 14 miles today, but where's the fun in that if you can race instead! Picked up a registration for the Camarillo 1/2 marathon in October. Of course, what was a good idea back then, did not seem that hot this morning - with 43 F outside and a pouring rain. But hey - beats running in a 90 F dry heat, right?
Event warmup:

Warmed up for 5 mins or so, and did some stretches.
Run
  • 1h 34m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to see if I can maintain a consistent 7:15 pace throughout and it felt pretty easy on this course. Miles 3 and 4 were somewhat uphill, but then it was a nice stretch of a downhill coming up. It was getting warmer, and I was considering losing my gloves. I passed a few people running a half, and for a while was running solo, with only a few runners ahead by about 1/4 mile. Lots of drink stations were setup along the way, it felt like they were there every 1/2 mile. In one case the station was set up on the other side of the road, which was strange - but the road was closed to traffic, so it was not too bad, except for additional few yards I had to cover to get there and back to the edge of the road. The road was covered with enough slippery mud to make this for a challenging few miles, especially when we headed back towards Camarillo airport.

The last 4 miles were run around the airport, and it was a little confusing, since the road was sort of open to traffic. At one point we ran across the way, and the car was coming in from behind :). In any case, I was at about 7:12 min/mile coming up to the last 2 miles. I picked up the cadence a little, and started sprinting once we hit the turnaround behind the airport. Passed a few more people, and boom - ran into a serious headwind. Thankfully, we turned off the main road and ran on some dirt path for the last 1/2 mile. I hit the finish line, the watch was showing 1:34:36, which would make it for a solid PR.
What would you do differently?:

Not much - a great 1/2, did exactly what I wanted.
Post race
Warm down:

The organizers had a small table with your typical post race food - bagels, bananas, oranges, pretzels and some Recovery Powerbars. The Powerbars were pretty dense and chewy, and had to be washed down with 2 glasses of water. I liked them overall, but Clif bars are better IMO. In any case, hung around for a bit, talked to a few other finishers, and then headed back to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am in the middle of training for LA marathon, so with a little bit of rest and downtime, I probably could have done better.

Event comments:

Good race, cheap and an easy, fast course. Of course, you have to watch out for cars in some spots... but no complaints.

Last updated: 2012-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:35 | 13.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/45
Overall: 14/199
Performance: Good
Course: Triangular loop, with a smaller sub-loop around the airport area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes