Ft. Myers Track Club
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 3s
Overall Rank = 65/355
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

we slept like crap the night before and were awake from like 12-2:30 or something, having gone to bed earlish...then fell back to sleep, finally succumbing to the 4:30 alarm-needing to leave at 5:15 to get to Ft. Myers by 7:30...well, we were a little sluggish and arrived to pick up our packets and numbers at 7:50am for the 8:00am start. 4th time doing this race and probably the earliest I have been there before the start :)
Event warmup:

Scramble
Run
  • 1h 59m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really tired the first 4 miles..like sleepy and lethargic tired. SO, I just held a steady pace and took in calories - GU and a weak infinit. Around mile 4 I started to feel some energy and by mile 5 was feeling good. I spent time drafting off runners then when I felt good and had a chance, I passed them and surged ahead then settled in to a steady pace. My goal was once I passed someone to not let them pass me. It worked great, except at mile 9 I was getting a little fatigued and not paying attention and I went down! My face cushioned much of the blow, and my right hand...two guys I had passed came by asking if I was ok and told me to get up and take the lead to I did :) Used the adrenaline to surge ahead. I started feeling tired...I haven't run long as of late, so beyond 10 miles would be a bit of a challenge but coach told me "when you feel uncomfortable, push harder" so I tried to do just that. I took more GU and infinit and pushed. My last mile was 8:45..not my fastest of the race but my hardest! Well, mile 9 and 10 had a lot little steep hills so maybe those were the hardest.
Post race
Warm down:

found Richard, grabbed a sip of gatorade and got in the car and drove home. Felt pretty tired/trashed when I got home. Showered, had a snack and rested.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

current fitness and lack of sleep

Event comments:

My favorite trail race - nice shirts with cute wild boars on them and recycled glass medals. Just a great vibe! I am happy with my HQTD (high quality training day) and feel happy about my first race of the 2013 season.

Last updated: 2012-12-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/355
Performance: Good
163/191
Course: Twisty, turny, up and downs, fields, singletrack, a bit of everything!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes