BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-20 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4586901

User image

Shreveport
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
ransick - 2013-01-20 1:38 PM
knighton - 2013-01-20 1:34 PMI'd like to join if it's not too late!Name: ChrisStory: I've been a runner for a few years now. Ive done quite a few 5 and 10ks but nothing much longer. I currently spend a lot of time lifting weights as I enjoy strength training. I've been contemplating doing triathlons for many years now, but life just seems to get in the way. In early 2001, I began seriously training for the tri season but ended up having a colon resection and was disgnosed with Crohns. Anyway, many years later, I'm gonna try it again!Family Status: Married with 4 kids. 16yo daughter, 13 yo daughter, and twin sons-13 months.Training: I primarily like training alone. I am beginning a masters swiming program in February for the instruction and until then will spend time strength training and running.Planned races: I'd like to do 4 races this year, but since I've never done one, I'm gonna focus on completing my first one!
Not too late at all. Welcome Chris! Any burning questions?
Thanks for the welcome! No burning questions...yet!

2013-01-20 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Welcome Chris, and Chris,  and Tom! (we already have a Tour vet also named Tom

I'm thinking y'all need to give us nicknames or something.  Gonna get confusing otherwise!

2013-01-20 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey Sarah, Dave, et al... I heard you all might need some swimming knowledge.  I'm willing to help out if need be!  I've got my own mentor group that's full, but I'm more than happy to help answer any swim related questions people have. 

Glad to see more mentoring groups popping up.  BT is a wonderful place!

Matt

2013-01-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4586938

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
oriolepwr - 2013-01-21 7:38 AM

I'm thinking y'all need to give us nicknames or something.  Gonna get confusing otherwise!

OK, so you need nicknames hey...? I've been called lots of things over the years (not all polite) by my nickname is "Chrispy". Not cool, I know, that that's what I got. Can't remember how, something to do with beers, a tent in the back yard, and a broken stereo speaker...?

2013-01-20 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4586952

User image

Master
St. Louis
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-20 2:58 PM

Hey Sarah, Dave, et al... I heard you all might need some swimming knowledge.  I'm willing to help out if need be!  I've got my own mentor group that's full, but I'm more than happy to help answer any swim related questions people have. 

Matt

Thanks Matt! Here is the first swimming question.

"Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...? "

Thanks again,

Mike
2013-01-20 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4586952

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Matt

Welcome Swim Guru Matt!      In addition to his vast swimming knowledge, Matt has a slightly used yoga mat  for sale on craigslist. 

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-01-20 3:29 PM

2013-01-20 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4586965

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
cadnams - 2013-01-20 3:15 PM
oriolepwr - 2013-01-21 7:38 AM

OK, so you need nicknames hey...? I've been called lots of things over the years (not all polite) by my nickname is "Chrispy". Not cool, I know, that that's what I got. Can't remember how, something to do with beers, a tent in the back yard, and a broken stereo speaker...?

Chrispy!  sounds good.   Lol  Beer, tent in back yard and broken stereo speaker  and can't remember how,   sounds like "the hangover"    tell us the rest of what you remember, perhaps we can figure out how your nickname came to be known.   :-)

2013-01-20 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4586971

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
ransick - 2013-01-20 2:24 PM

Matt

Thanks Matt! Here is the first swimming question. "Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...? " Thanks again, Mike

Mike, you're going to get bored really fast if you just jump in and swim 1000/1500, etc.  I see you are a Silver Member.  Have you ever tried subscribing to some of the training plans?  I think you'll find you'll enjoy going to the pool a lot more if you vary things up.

All that being said, are you happy with your swim performance?  If so, there's no harm in doing what you're doing.

2013-01-20 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4586973

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
oriolepwr - 2013-01-20 2:28 PM

Matt

Welcome Swim Guru Matt!      In addition to his vast swimming knowledge, Matt has a slightly used yoga mat  for sale on craigslist. 

HAHAHA!  Actually it's not for sale as I've become quite a yogi the last few months!  It's making every aspect of my life better.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone.  Dave, you should post that ad here... LMAO.

2013-01-20 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Whoops, double post.  See below.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-01-20 4:14 PM
2013-01-20 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I was a member of the Magical Mys-tri Tour last fall and this is an incredible, fun, knowledge group!  I didn't know that the group was going to re-form and joined another group earlier so I won't take up one of the places here.  But I wanted to stop in and tell all of the newcomers that you will have a blast in this group.  You have amazing people in this group and you will fall in love with them all - just like I did.

2013-01-20 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4586979

User image

Master
St. Louis
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-20 3:31 PM

Matt

Thanks Matt! Here is the first swimming question. "Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...? " Thanks again, Mike

Mike, you're going to get bored really fast if you just jump in and swim 1000/1500, etc.  I see you are a Silver Member.  Have you ever tried subscribing to some of the training plans?  I think you'll find you'll enjoy going to the pool a lot more if you vary things up.

All that being said, are you happy with your swim performance?  If so, there's no harm in doing what you're doing.

I posted the question that we received from another mentee. Here was my response

"I'm one of the least qualified people to advise on swimming, but here it goes. Many people do sets of different distances with rest In between each set, the shorter the set, the faster you swim but pay attention to your form. Many people also do drills to improve form. Links to some common ones are below. Nothing wrong with doing long continuous swims if you are short on time or want to have confidence you can swim long. It should be the least number of swim workouts though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRCfeJNJkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_XRiy-ILyc

Some of these drills are really hard and you will feel uncoordinated. I'm curious what advice the fish in the group will give."

Would love advice from a good swimmer though. My pool swim times for long distance is 2:00-2:10 per hundred. OWS about 10 seconds slower than than. My swim volume is pretty low though, 50k yards last year.

Thanks,

Mike
2013-01-20 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Wha What?!?!?!?!? I've been gone for two days and look at all this activity!! Welcome Chris, Chrispy, and Tom. Thank you Matt for your swimming help!! If your swimming problems include feeling like you're going to die when you put on a wetsuit and jump in a lake/river/ocean, then I'm your girl!! Otherwise...thank you Matt for helping us out. I am going to take all your advice too, because I'm the one who just jumps in the pool and swims mile after mile at an excruciatingly slow pace.

I'm so glad we're building a great group of people. Don't forget to post all your activity in your training log. Wednesdays are stat days...monthly totals for all group members will be posted!!!

Also, please start posting some of your upcoming races, because I would also like to put together a calendar so we know when everyone is racing.

2013-01-20 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4586387

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
ladlehaus - 2013-01-19 7:12 PM

Hi, everyone.  I'd like to join this group.

Name: Tom (ladlehaus)

Story: I ran my first tri in 2010 as a way to get back into shape. When I announced my intentions to run a tri, my then six-year-old daughter told me that she would beat me in a race, and my wife said that I needed more life insurance then. Three years later and thirty pounds lighter, I've completed a few races a year and trained enough for my wife to think I'm nuts. I was signed up for IM Lake Placid, but dropped out because my wife was due the week before the race. Now, I'm getting over a knee injury from Thanksgiving that derailed marathon training. My goal this year is to stay healthy and injury free and train more consistently than ever before. My A race this year is the Rev 3 Cedar Point 140.6.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids. My son is ten, my daughter nine, and my baby girl is 7 months.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very little. The past fall, I ran exclusively preparing for the Mickey Mouse Marathon. It had gone very well until injuring my knee at Thanksgiving. Planning on using Don Fink's IM plan this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Local sprints. Pittsburgh Tri-Oly. Rev3 Cedar Point.

WEIGHT LOSS: In my ideal world, I'd like to lose another 40 pounds or so. In order to do that, I've really go to stop eating so much pizza.

Welcome, Tom!! So glad you're here! Sorry about the knee. I went through ITB syndrome about 9 months ago, but it seems to have resolved. What kind of knee injury do you have? I'm glad that there is someone else here training for a full IM. It will be nice to complain...I mean commiserate with someone else during the training. I am planning on IM Louisville in August.

2013-01-20 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4586895

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

knighton - 2013-01-20 1:34 PM I'd like to join if it's not too late!Name: ChrisStory: I've been a runner for a few years now. Ive done quite a few 5 and 10ks but nothing much longer. I currently spend a lot of time lifting weights as I enjoy strength training. I've been contemplating doing triathlons for many years now, but life just seems to get in the way. In early 2001, I began seriously training for the tri season but ended up having a colon resection and was disgnosed with Crohns. Anyway, many years later, I'm gonna try it again!Family Status: Married with 4 kids. 16yo daughter, 13 yo daughter, and twin sons-13 months.Training: I primarily like training alone. I am beginning a masters swiming program in February for the instruction and until then will spend time strength training and running.Planned races: I'd like to do 4 races this year, but since I've never done one, I'm gonna focus on completing my first one!

Hi Chris!! Thanks for joining!! This is your year!!!! I love your ambition, and I say go for four! Of course, this is coming from someone who jumps in without testing the water. I have been told, on numerous occasions, that my goals are "lofty". Stick with us, though, and we will convince you to race in all of them...we'll find a way!

Of course there is the issue with the 13 month old twins!! I would say been there/done that, but I didn't have two other kids, teenagers, at that!! Twins were hard enough. Seriously, though, if you need someone to vent to, we're here.

2013-01-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4587021

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Pink Socks - 2013-01-20 4:13 PM I was a member of the Magical Mys-tri Tour last fall and this is an incredible, fun, knowledge group!  I didn't know that the group was going to re-form and joined another group earlier so I won't take up one of the places here.  But I wanted to stop in and tell all of the newcomers that you will have a blast in this group.  You have amazing people in this group and you will fall in love with them all - just like I did.

Aw, Pink, you're making me blush!! You know you'll be back...you can't stay away from us. We're like an addiction...or maybe just a disease!!

2013-01-20 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi all!  Many of you know me, but for the new folks, here's my story!

Name:   jacki, but go by Jax here on BT.

Story:   Long time runner turned "triathlete" recently in the last few years.  Believe me, I use the term loosely.  I've been a runner for about 12 years and love, love, LOVE to run.  I've been seduced into multi-sport looking for a way to continue to challenge myself and deal with the fact that I don't know that my body will let me continue long distance running as I get older.  3 marathons, umpteen dozen halfs and I don't bother with paying for 10Ks and 5Ks anymore.  In 2010 and 2012 I completed 5 sprint triathlons.  I have a major mental block with the swim. I train my arse off and do fine with training, but something about race day sends me over the edge and I have panic attacks during the swim.  4 of the 5 races I've completed, I've wigged out during the swim and ALMOST quit.  BUT...I never did quit, not once, and struggled through.  I did my last Tri in June 2012 and was able to keep the panic at bay and finished without a panic attack.  I stayed out of the water for 6 months after that, though, and have just gotten back in the pool this month.  I ran a full marathon in October and then took a few months to just run for fun and not train for anything.  I'm not so great on the bike either.  Nothing terrible, but just have never focused on it.  The run is my savior!  I can make up lots of lost time and usually end up finishing late middle of the pack.

Goal for 2013:  Conquer the effing swim!!!  Learn to be a decent cyclist.  Continute my love affair with running.  Get stronger.  Beat the nagging low back pain I have that I think is a result of losing core strength this year.  I've got a few spirnt Tri's on the calendar, 2 half marathons, and HOPEFULLY an olympic distrance tri.

Family...married 14 years...DH is a runner/triathlete also, finished IM Louisville in 2011.  He's learning to be a triathlon coach.  Bought some books, did some research, and now I'm one of his guinea pigs.  So, he's put together a plan focused to improving my swimming and biking and maintaining on the run.  It will be interesting to see how it works having a husband/coach.  I wouldn't tell a coach to shut the F*ck up...but I might tell my husband that.  So, we'll see how that works out!  ha!  3 kids...16 y/o pain in the arse son...teenagers suck...just sayin'...11 and 9 y/o daughters who are much less pains in the arse right now.  Those of you with teens know what I mean, I'm sure!

Other...love my job selling advertising and marketing solutions for a country radio station in Indianapolis.  Tons of fun!  My job definitely does NOT suck!  Live in a great neighborhood with very active friends...several other triathletes and runners and cyclists, which helps!

Weight loss...fortunately haven't ever had much issue with this.  I'm small and have stayed small through 3 pregnancies.  I do like red wine...A LOT...which likely prevents me from losing the 5 pounds I'd like to lose perpetually.

Glad to be part of the group and I PROMISE to be a regular contributor this season, in spite of my spotty history!  Welcome to our new members and cheers to our veterans!  Had a day off training today, but scheduled for a go round on the trainer in the morning and a pilates class in the afternoon.  And a day off work too.  Yippee!  Peace out...

Jax

2013-01-20 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4587164

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-20 6:40 PM

Hi all!  Many of you know me, but for the new folks, here's my story!

Name:   jacki, but go by Jax here on BT.

Story:   Long time runner turned "triathlete" recently in the last few years.  Believe me, I use the term loosely.  I've been a runner for about 12 years and love, love, LOVE to run.  I've been seduced into multi-sport looking for a way to continue to challenge myself and deal with the fact that I don't know that my body will let me continue long distance running as I get older.  3 marathons, umpteen dozen halfs and I don't bother with paying for 10Ks and 5Ks anymore.  In 2010 and 2012 I completed 5 sprint triathlons.  I have a major mental block with the swim. I train my arse off and do fine with training, but something about race day sends me over the edge and I have panic attacks during the swim.  4 of the 5 races I've completed, I've wigged out during the swim and ALMOST quit.  BUT...I never did quit, not once, and struggled through.  I did my last Tri in June 2012 and was able to keep the panic at bay and finished without a panic attack.  I stayed out of the water for 6 months after that, though, and have just gotten back in the pool this month.  I ran a full marathon in October and then took a few months to just run for fun and not train for anything.  I'm not so great on the bike either.  Nothing terrible, but just have never focused on it.  The run is my savior!  I can make up lots of lost time and usually end up finishing late middle of the pack.

Goal for 2013:  Conquer the effing swim!!!  Learn to be a decent cyclist.  Continute my love affair with running.  Get stronger.  Beat the nagging low back pain I have that I think is a result of losing core strength this year.  I've got a few spirnt Tri's on the calendar, 2 half marathons, and HOPEFULLY an olympic distrance tri.

Family...married 14 years...DH is a runner/triathlete also, finished IM Louisville in 2011.  He's learning to be a triathlon coach.  Bought some books, did some research, and now I'm one of his guinea pigs.  So, he's put together a plan focused to improving my swimming and biking and maintaining on the run.  It will be interesting to see how it works having a husband/coach.  I wouldn't tell a coach to shut the F*ck up...but I might tell my husband that.  So, we'll see how that works out!  ha!  3 kids...16 y/o pain in the arse son...teenagers suck...just sayin'...11 and 9 y/o daughters who are much less pains in the arse right now.  Those of you with teens know what I mean, I'm sure!

Other...love my job selling advertising and marketing solutions for a country radio station in Indianapolis.  Tons of fun!  My job definitely does NOT suck!  Live in a great neighborhood with very active friends...several other triathletes and runners and cyclists, which helps!

Weight loss...fortunately haven't ever had much issue with this.  I'm small and have stayed small through 3 pregnancies.  I do like red wine...A LOT...which likely prevents me from losing the 5 pounds I'd like to lose perpetually.

Glad to be part of the group and I PROMISE to be a regular contributor this season, in spite of my spotty history!  Welcome to our new members and cheers to our veterans!  Had a day off training today, but scheduled for a go round on the trainer in the morning and a pilates class in the afternoon.  And a day off work too.  Yippee!  Peace out...

Jax

If you get get your husband to become a nutritionist and masseuse, you'd really be set for IM training :-).
2013-01-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #4587103

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2013-01-20 5:49 PM

Pink Socks - 2013-01-20 4:13 PM I was a member of the Magical Mys-tri Tour last fall and this is an incredible, fun, knowledge group!  I didn't know that the group was going to re-form and joined another group earlier so I won't take up one of the places here.  But I wanted to stop in and tell all of the newcomers that you will have a blast in this group.  You have amazing people in this group and you will fall in love with them all - just like I did.

Aw, Pink, you're making me blush!! You know you'll be back...you can't stay away from us. We're like an addiction...or maybe just a disease!!

That's right Pam  no worries about  "The spot" its yours.   Once a tripper  always a tripper.   It's ok for you to also be in another group.   

2013-01-20 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4587035

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
ransick - 2013-01-20 3:39 PM

Matt

I posted the question that we received from another mentee. Here was my response "I'm one of the least qualified people to advise on swimming, but here it goes. Many people do sets of different distances with rest In between each set, the shorter the set, the faster you swim but pay attention to your form. Many people also do drills to improve form. Links to some common ones are below. Nothing wrong with doing long continuous swims if you are short on time or want to have confidence you can swim long. It should be the least number of swim workouts though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRCfeJNJkghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_XRiy-ILyc Some of these drills are really hard and you will feel uncoordinated. I'm curious what advice the fish in the group will give." Would love advice from a good swimmer though. My pool swim times for long distance is 2:00-2:10 per hundred. OWS about 10 seconds slower than than. My swim volume is pretty low though, 50k yards last year. Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike,

Drills are definitely the way to "tune up" your swimming.  In order to do drills though you'll need to break up your swim session into sets.  Start with a warm-up, then some drills, then a build, then a main set followed by a cool down.

2:00 to 2:10 per 100 isn't a bad pace for a beginning swimmer. Are you looking to improve on that or are you content with that pace?  I can give you some swim workouts if you want, but I don't want to force anything on anyone.

Matt 

2013-01-20 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4587272

User image

Master
St. Louis
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-20 8:19 PM

Matt

I posted the question that we received from another mentee. Here was my response "I'm one of the least qualified people to advise on swimming, but here it goes. Many people do sets of different distances with rest In between each set, the shorter the set, the faster you swim but pay attention to your form. Many people also do drills to improve form. Links to some common ones are below. Nothing wrong with doing long continuous swims if you are short on time or want to have confidence you can swim long. It should be the least number of swim workouts though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRCfeJNJkghttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_XRiy-ILyc Some of these drills are really hard and you will feel uncoordinated. I'm curious what advice the fish in the group will give." Would love advice from a good swimmer though. My pool swim times for long distance is 2:00-2:10 per hundred. OWS about 10 seconds slower than than. My swim volume is pretty low though, 50k yards last year. Thanks, Mike

Hey Mike,

Drills are definitely the way to "tune up" your swimming.  In order to do drills though you'll need to break up your swim session into sets.  Start with a warm-up, then some drills, then a build, then a main set followed by a cool down.

2:00 to 2:10 per 100 isn't a bad pace for a beginning swimmer. Are you looking to improve on that or are you content with that pace?  I can give you some swim workouts if you want, but I don't want to force anything on anyone.

Matt 

I would love some swim work outs. Thanks!

2013-01-21 4:35 AM
in reply to: #4587272

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-21 1:19 PM

Matt

Hey Mike,

Matt 

Hi Mike.

In your post you referred to a "build" in a swim training session. What do you mean by a "build"?

Thanks,
Chrispy

2013-01-21 5:08 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

OK, here are my upcoming race dates. I figure if I tell you all then I actually have to enter them...!

3 Feb - 750m/20km/5km (why do these distances sound so short when this will be my longest tri yet...?)

7 April - 750m/20km/5km (this is the last race of the season)

Sarah, you suggested I have a goal race to aim for, well I think I have it. There is an Olympic distance event in Noosa which is a couple of 1000km north of where I am. Yep, it means jumpting on a plane with my bik etc. My wife is happy to take the family up there for a few days because it's a great summer holiday destination, so it looks like a go-er. But there is a catch... It's not until 3 November 2013...! That sounds like a long time to train for an Oly but it's the earliest decent race I could find. In any case, it's plenty of time for me to prepare, and it will set me up well for my local tri series which includes 4-5 sprints and one Oly (and one HIM).

One last thing to do. I checked the race results for the 2012 event, and they looked pretty slow. It makes me wonder if the course is a tough one. I want to check that out before I fork out the cash and really commit.

Is anyone else racing soon...?

2013-01-21 7:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Missoula

Hello all. Sorry i'm late. I fell asleep in the back of the Mys-tri tour van...

I'm excited to Hash and Mash with Sarah, my tripper cronies, and hopefully a few new folks. 

I'll get a new bio up sometime soon. 

See you soon,

TJ

2013-01-21 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran

Nothing like the "tour" going crazy on the weekend.  Now know as H&M,  hmmmm?

Weekend was volunteer work, didn't sleep well, burned my finger on the grill cooking pancakes, then rested.

Hit the pool today, nothing great, but I NEED a lot of work.

I swim 50 yards (2x25) and I need to rest.  I used to be such a great swimmer.

On the other hand, my running is much more improved over the past year, as the mys-tri tour folks know.  I maybe run/walking my HM in April, but I'm determined to finish it.  So I have plenty of time to improve my swim before my first Tri at the end of April.

Also:  Welcome to Chrispy, Chris, and Tom

Sarah, I'm looking forward to the stats again, Thanks so much.

Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30