BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-21 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4587471

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Chrispy,

A "build" is the set referred to as the space in between your drill and main set.  Take what you learned during your drills and apply it to a shorter, easier interval than your main set will be.

2013-01-21 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

New user

Irvine

I would like to join.  Signed up for an October 2012 triathlon in August in Newport Beach, Californi a couple of months after my 60th birthday.  Have finished two sprints so far -- the first 432/478 and ninth out of ten in my AG; the second in December where I was 65/65 (by 23 seconds) at a small town in Australia and 1/1 of my age group -- hence demonstrating the Biblical phrase about first being last, etc.  Both times were on op-shop bikes without clamped on pedals or shoes and rusted on bicycle bells with mildly scary brakes (average price $25) which meant I passed no one (in America its "on your left" and in Australia its "on your right, mate"). Swims were both ocean in which I floundered but survived for the 800 yards (22 minutes each). Have decided to make this year the year of tri-athloning. 

Personal stuff: as mentioned, I'm 60; married 28 years and counting to an Aussie who is down under about 1/3 of the year taking care of 92 year old parents (hence my trips there and her trips here); one 23 year old son finishing school in Melbourne, Australia; lawyer; didn't run for 33 years (between ages 27 an 60) and assumed I would walk the 3.1 miles of the October Triathlon.  Then was shamed by a fellow 60+ beginner and read Born to Run -- now training in toed shoes about 10ks on a golf course (at night) or on nearby trails through a nature trail (during the day) every other day and liking it a lot -- even though I want to stop after the first hundred yards, every time; signed up for an Olympic on June 1 (day before my birthday) and another Sprint in mid-April; have lost about 30 pounds since that fateful August day and am now about 198 -- headed for 180.

Hoping this forum will help keep me inspired and answer questions. 

2013-01-21 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4588203

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
WilliamSSmith - 2013-01-21 3:08 PM

I would like to join.  Signed up for an October 2012 triathlon in August in Newport Beach, Californi a couple of months after my 60th birthday.  Have finished two sprints so far -- the first 432/478 and ninth out of ten in my AG; the second in December where I was 65/65 (by 23 seconds) at a small town in Australia and 1/1 of my age group -- hence demonstrating the Biblical phrase about first being last, etc.  Both times were on op-shop bikes without clamped on pedals or shoes and rusted on bicycle bells with mildly scary brakes (average price $25) which meant I passed no one (in America its "on your left" and in Australia its "on your right, mate"). Swims were both ocean in which I floundered but survived for the 800 yards (22 minutes each). Have decided to make this year the year of tri-athloning. 

Personal stuff: as mentioned, I'm 60; married 28 years and counting to an Aussie who is down under about 1/3 of the year taking care of 92 year old parents (hence my trips there and her trips here); one 23 year old son finishing school in Melbourne, Australia; lawyer; didn't run for 33 years (between ages 27 an 60) and assumed I would walk the 3.1 miles of the October Triathlon.  Then was shamed by a fellow 60+ beginner and read Born to Run -- now training in toed shoes about 10ks on a golf course (at night) or on nearby trails through a nature trail (during the day) every other day and liking it a lot -- even though I want to stop after the first hundred yards, every time; signed up for an Olympic on June 1 (day before my birthday) and another Sprint in mid-April; have lost about 30 pounds since that fateful August day and am now about 198 -- headed for 180.

Welcome William (I think). I'm assuming your name is William...is that what we should call you? I'm glad you're here. I think we can keep you inspired!! I recently read Born to Run, as well. Very inspiring book. I have toyed with the idea of toed shoes, but haven't gotten there, yet. I do some (very little) running on the treadmill barefoot. I mean, I run on the treadmill a lot, just barefoot on occasion. How do you like those shoes? I've been meaning to get some advice from shoeless or toed shoe runners. Any problems with injuries?

2013-01-21 4:44 PM

User image

New user

Irvine

Sorry, should have signed on as Bill.  Toed shoes by Vibram and Fila have been my running salvation so far since September, 2012.  Before toed shoes, no running for decades and what little I did was followed by icing and ibuprofen.  Now, no injuries for four months of steady running.  I have to say I am a careful and very slow runner so perhaps they won't work for fast people, however, I passed about fifty people on the Sprint run in my first tri to go from virtully last to 432nd and that was on concrete and asphalt which I don't usually run on.  Don't know that they are for everyone but they have changed my outlook about (and approach toward) running entirely.

Bill

2013-01-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4588203

User image

Master
St. Louis
WilliamSSmith - 2013-01-21 3:08 PM

Welcome Bill! Awesome you decided to tri at 60. Very inspiring to say the least.
2013-01-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4586404

User image

Regular
Western PA

Welcome Tom! Steeler fan by chance? My folks are from the area so I was indoctrinated early :-).

Although I don't watch a lot of football, I don't think you can live in Western PA without bleeding a little black and gold. Wink

@ Sarah

Thanks for the welcome. I considered IM Louisville, but since I'm a high school teacher, I didn't think my prinicipal would be happy if I missed the first day of school recovering. Plus Cedar Point will be more family friendly, I think.

My knee injury was really weird. My doctor diagnosed it as bursitis, and the physical therapist treated the ITB and a pretty severe muscle imbalance. At about mile 8 of 15 right after Thanksgiving, I was running on the treadmill and all of a sudden my LCL burst out in pain. I immediately slowed to a walk and the pain was gone. After walking, I could run for a minute or two before it would start to hurt again, but walking and everything else was totally painless. That went on for about a month before the pain went away. Last weekend I ran/walked the Disney Half Marathon. Lots of other things hurt, but my knee was fine.

Edited by ladlehaus 2013-01-21 7:24 PM

2013-01-21 7:25 PM

Hi everyone.

My name is Sati Adlakha and my wonderful wife is mentoring this group.  I am lazy by nature and only have run a marathon and done a half tri because of her.  This is something I would have never done in my lifetime, but I sure have caught the bug. I would like to join this group and I will update my bio for you in the next few days, as well as get a picture.  Look forward to seeing everyone reach their goals this year.

2013-01-21 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4588512

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Dr Feelgood - 2013-01-21 7:25 PM

Hi everyone.

My name is Sati Adlakha and my wonderful wife is mentoring this group.  I am lazy by nature and only have run a marathon and done a half tri because of her.  This is something I would have never done in my lifetime, but I sure have caught the bug. I would like to join this group and I will update my bio for you in the next few days, as well as get a picture.  Look forward to seeing everyone reach their goals this year.

Dr. Feelgood!  Awesome!  You are a Doctor and you have run a marathon.  In this world no one can call you "lazy"  other than other Doctor Marathoners   oh like Sarah  right?

2013-01-21 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4588355

User image

Regular
Western PA
Welcome to the group, Bill! I eased my way into toe shoes last spring after reading Born to Run and loved them. Loved the book too. I even ordered some chia seeds and tried to make some pinole. Didn't turn out too well. The toe shoes eliminated all of the knee pain I used to have. In late summer though, I started getting sharp pain on the ball of my foot and had to go back to a padded running shoe, but I'm going to give them another go this spring.
2013-01-21 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4588510

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
ladlehaus - 2013-01-21 7:24 PM

Welcome Tom! Steeler fan by chance? My folks are from the area so I was indoctrinated early :-).

Although I don't watch a lot of football, I don't think you can live in Western PA without bleeding a little black and gold. Wink

@ Sarah

Thanks for the welcome. I considered IM Louisville, but since I'm a high school teacher, I didn't think my prinicipal would be happy if I missed the first day of school recovering. Plus Cedar Point will be more family friendly, I think.

My knee injury was really weird. My doctor diagnosed it as bursitis, and the physical therapist treated the ITB and a pretty severe muscle imbalance. At about mile 8 of 15 right after Thanksgiving, I was running on the treadmill and all of a sudden my LCL burst out in pain. I immediately slowed to a walk and the pain was gone. After walking, I could run for a minute or two before it would start to hurt again, but walking and everything else was totally painless. That went on for about a month before the pain went away. Last weekend I ran/walked the Disney Half Marathon. Lots of other things hurt, but my knee was fine.

I know several people that have gone the Rev3 Cedar point route and speak highly of it.     Physical Therapists will ALWAYS say muscle imbalance.  Who knows  maybe they are even right!  :-

Good to hear your knee held up.   Oh one other thing.   Do you not owe us a nickname?   We have a Tom already and Chrispy gave us his.     Don't hold out on us!!  :-)

2013-01-21 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran

What a fun group we have!  Welcome Chris, Chrispy,  Tom and Dr. Feelgood!!  Did I miss anyone new?

Dave...so glad you're continuing with us!

Spent some time on the trainer this morning and then did a pilates workout this afternoon.  What did everyone else do today?  I've got to get a computer-contraption for my bike that works on the trainer.  At this point, I'm timing myself on a wristwatch and completely guessing on my mileage, which is driving me crazy!  Today Coach Hubby came downstairs during my workout and commented that I probably had the gear too hard and didn't have my RPMs high enough which did nothing but p#ss me off and almost made me cry.  Any one of you said it, I'd be fine and take it as good advice, but coming from DH it makes me mad.  Silly, I know!!

Work hard, play hard, everyone!

Jax

2013-01-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4588355

User image

Veteran
WilliamSSmith - 2013-01-21 5:44 PM

Sorry, should have signed on as Bill.  Toed shoes by Vibram and Fila have been my running salvation so far since September, 2012.  Before toed shoes, no running for decades and what little I did was followed by icing and ibuprofen.  Now, no injuries for four months of steady running.  I have to say I am a careful and very slow runner so perhaps they won't work for fast people, however, I passed about fifty people on the Sprint run in my first tri to go from virtully last to 432nd and that was on concrete and asphalt which I don't usually run on.  Don't know that they are for everyone but they have changed my outlook about (and approach toward) running entirely.

Bill

So happy to have you with us, Bill!  I've not tried toe shoes.  Recently I did switch to minimalist shoes and I am liking them so far.  Took a few weeks to get used to the change in form, but so far, so good!

Jax

2013-01-21 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4588512

User image

Veteran
Dr Feelgood - 2013-01-21 8:25 PM

Hi everyone.

Sarah rocks and is super motivating, so your story is not a surprise to me!! Welcome!

Jax

2013-01-21 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4588530

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-21 7:43 PM

What a fun group we have!  Welcome Chris, Chrispy,  Tom and Dr. Feelgood!!  Did I miss anyone new?

Dave...so glad you're continuing with us!

Spent some time on the trainer this morning and then did a pilates workout this afternoon.  What did everyone else do today?  I've got to get a computer-contraption for my bike that works on the trainer.  At this point, I'm timing myself on a wristwatch and completely guessing on my mileage, which is driving me crazy!  Today Coach Hubby came downstairs during my workout and commented that I probably had the gear too hard and didn't have my RPMs high enough which did nothing but p#ss me off and almost made me cry.  Any one of you said it, I'd be fine and take it as good advice, but coming from DH it makes me mad.  Silly, I know!!

Work hard, play hard, everyone!

Jax

I have a cateye double wireless bike computer and it works great. Speed pickup is on the read wheel so it measures speed on the trainer. It also measures cadence.
2013-01-21 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4587471

User image

New user

Irvine

Hi Mike,

I did the Cape Paterson triathlon on December 30, 2012.  It is a real winner with a sprint and Olympic distance and one you should  consider doing next year (google Alex Scott) if you have the time.  Great scenery, great people, a bit of a scary swim off the cape but there are great life saving folk there (who tracked me the entire way to my last place finish).  The club is truly Aussie bush with pies, great coffee and the usual riff-raff along with a very friendly awards ceremony usually making fun of people coming from the big city.  I'll be defending my crown in the over 60s so say hello if you're there.

Bill Smith

2013-01-22 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, I'm eager to test myself in a race environment again and I'm going to do that sooner rather than later!  I just signed up for an indoor triathlon on Sunday at a gym in Indy!  20 minutes in the pool...50 yard lap count.  20 minutes on an indoor bike.  20 minute run on an indoor track...lap count.  I debated with myself, and then decided to sign up for the non-competitive division.  What's important to me about this race is just getting my arse in the pool in a race situation to try to build confidence that I can swim without a panic attack.   So, I really don't care how I do against others...only against myself.  So, I thought in this case, non-competitive might take some pressure off me and give me less to worry about.  Yikes!  Here! I! Go!

Jax

2013-01-22 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Jax - Good for you...getting back in there! The thought of racing makes me a bit anxious, too. I know you'll do great. I love that you got mad at DH for "coaching" you. It's just natural!! When I told Sati he should join a group on BT, and that he could join ours, he said "You want to be my mentor?" I had to promise I wouldn't boss him around (any more than I already do)!

Chrispy - I will get a race calendar done in the next few days with what we have so far. Glad to see everyone is starting to race!!

TJ - Welcome back...I was wondering if you fell asleep back there. I didn't want to disturb you, with that baby...and all those boys at home, I thought you could use the sleep!

Sati - Welcome! I know you're waiting for me to do your bio and load your picture and record your workouts...which I'm sure I'll do, but I am not doing your training for you!!

2013-01-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4588660

User image

Master
St. Louis
WilliamSSmith - 2013-01-21 9:49 PM

Hi Mike,

I did the Cape Paterson triathlon on December 30, 2012.  It is a real winner with a sprint and Olympic distance and one you should  consider doing next year (google Alex Scott) if you have the time.  Great scenery, great people, a bit of a scary swim off the cape but there are great life saving folk there (who tracked me the entire way to my last place finish).  The club is truly Aussie bush with pies, great coffee and the usual riff-raff along with a very friendly awards ceremony usually making fun of people coming from the big city.  I'll be defending my crown in the over 60s so say hello if you're there.

Bill Smith

I had trouble finding any info. I think Google is steering me to U.S. results. DM me. Link if you don't mind. Thanks!
2013-01-22 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4589182

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-22 10:09 AM

Well, I'm eager to test myself in a race environment again and I'm going to do that sooner rather than later!  I just signed up for an indoor triathlon on Sunday at a gym in Indy!  20 minutes in the pool...50 yard lap count.  20 minutes on an indoor bike.  20 minute run on an indoor track...lap count.  I debated with myself, and then decided to sign up for the non-competitive division.  What's important to me about this race is just getting my arse in the pool in a race situation to try to build confidence that I can swim without a panic attack.   So, I really don't care how I do against others...only against myself.  So, I thought in this case, non-competitive might take some pressure off me and give me less to worry about.  Yikes!  Here! I! Go!

Jax

Please..... You will flip the Jax switch and kick butt!   Indoor tri's are great I've done a bunch of them via Lifetime Fitness.  Was fun!    Nice that you are back with the tour  er I mean Group!   ha!

2013-01-22 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Is there still room in your group?  If so, I'm in!  I posted in 'Introduce Yourself' earlier today, but here is my bio:

Name: jmholzman (Joe)

Story:  I did a sprint in 2011 and a oly and a half marathon in 2012.  I started in order to have a fitness goal to work towards; I like competitions and push myself a lot harder when I am competing or getting ready to do so.  I loved the first one and was hooked.  Little kids and a busy job have kept me from competing more, but I'm trying to step it up some this year.  My goal has always been to finish and feel good afterwards, and not have to resort to walking on the bike/run or the equivalent on the swim.  I have been doing Masters swim for almost two years, although in the last couple months I've re-dedicated myself to it (my tri last year was in July and after that I focused on training for the half marathon) and I'm starting to see some improvement.  It is has historically been difficult for me to find time to dedicate to the bike.  But I swim Masters three days a week and run as much as I want (usually 4-5 times/week).  I try to bike 2 times a week at least, and I also try to fit in 2 circuit workouts/week.  That's in an ideal week, anyways.  In the past I feel that I haven't pushed myself hard enough, especially on the bike and run prep.  In prepping for and completing the oly last year, I felt good and in good shape, but I didn't feel much stronger or faster than I was when I started.  My half marathon pace last fall was about the same pace as the sprint (which was actually a 5 mile run) tri I had done a year and a half earlier.

Family status: Married, two kids (3 and 1)

Current training: Not really doing a structured program, but trying to build up my base.  Feeling good about Masters right now, and feeling good about running.  Running slow but feeling good.  I bike when I can.  Got a new bike a couple weeks ago, my first road bike, a Diamondback Podium 3.

2012 Races: California International Triathlon (olympic), Two Cities Half Marathon

2013 Races: HITS Napa Valley Olympic Triathlon (April), Folsom Long Course (HIM, in August)

Weight Loss: I'm 6'2", 208lbs.  My high was about 4 years ago I was 235.  I think at the best shape I've ever been in I was just under 205, but I had more muscle then.  I'd like to lose maybe 5 pounds, but I find when I work out more I gain weight.  I'd like to lose some weight only so that I'm not carrying around 208lbs for 70.3 miles, but weight loss is not the reason I do tris.

Goals: Complete the HIM in August.  The Olympic I'm doing in April is the first tri I'll be doing with people I know, and we're all very type A competitive types, so as much as we say we're not going to kill each other I know from experience a trip to the water fountain turns into a competition with us.  So I want to knock this oly out of the park in April.

2013-01-23 2:52 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Welcome aboard Joe. It's great to see someone with toddlers getting in as much training as you are. Like you, I have trouble finding the time to get out on the bike. I am aiming for three sessions a week, but only managing one so far!

Good luck in April. Nothing quite like some competition to make you punish your own body!

2013-01-23 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Hey everybody

I'd love to join if there is still room. I will post my profile when I get to a computer. Doing it on my phone doesn't sound fun.

Charlie
2013-01-23 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Welcome to the group, Joe! I too have noticed that the more I work out the more weight I gain. Although  I think it has more to do with my ravenous appetite and my inability to fight off the Haagen Dazs craving at night (the chocolate peanut butter is worth the 10 mile run it takes to burn it off).

It looks like you have some good races coming up. Do you live in the Bay area? I noticed some Napa races. My DH and I met in school in that area. He is from Santa Cruz.

2013-01-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4590838

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

chmoore2 - 2013-01-23 9:09 AM Hey everybody

I'd love to join if there is still room. I will post my profile when I get to a computer. Doing it on my phone doesn't sound fun.

Charlie

Of course, Charlie! We look forward to it!!

2013-01-23 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

So, I know some of you have not logged all (or any) of your workouts, but here are the January stats, to date. I think February will be more accurate, as everyone will be logging regularly by then.

Swim         Bike             Run            Total Time

Dave            2000         248.00         22.36           19:40:14 *Holy Guacamole Batman! What are                                                                                                  you secretly training for??

Pam                0             19.50          97.40           19:35:39

Sarah           1300         171.67          24.18           14:47:23

Joe                 ?              26.00          28.50           12:58:31

Jax               5350         87.95          28.72           12:35:05

Sati                 0           158.67           6.50           11:05:00

Mike                0               0              57.00          09:23:34

TJ                 2000        118.49            7.36          07:56:41 * You weren't sleeping!

Tom 1            550          55.81           13.34          07:43:00 *Nice come back, Tom!

Chrispy         2515         11.43             9.20          03:17:21

Charlie            0            25.41             6.96          03:11:10

Chris               0               0                6.45          00:58:42

Bill                 Nothing logged

Tom 2            Nothing logged

Shelly            Nothing logged

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30