General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: etasker

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: Shoes before race?
Question that may have been discussed before, but I can't find it. What do people generally do before the race for footwear to get to the start? Do folks generally bring a throwaway pair of shoes or sandals? I searched the document and couldn't find anything about a drop-bag at the swim start. ??

2013-07-17 12:30 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: First Tri
Here is my Friday plan if anyone else is interested:

Friday the 19th:
10 am North Beach - acclimation swim 15-30 minutes
10:45 (11-ish) - bike ride on the coarse 40 minutes, Zone 2 or lower

2013-07-17 12:32 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: RE: Shoes before race?
We usually walk down the beach/path in throw away flip flops. it's less than a mile to the swim start, most of which is on a path. Eventually, we need to cut off the path down the beach to get to the start.

Cyndi
2013-07-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: Super_Rob

User image

New user
Kenosha
Hey Super Rob!

Will you be doing packet pick up on Friday evening? We'll be there about 6:30 or so.

Just an FYI...I think we are expecting T-storms/wind on Friday. PLEASE be careful in the water!!!

Cyndi
2013-07-17 1:21 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
I'll be at packet pick-up closer to 2pm
2013-07-17 1:33 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
I'll usually wear flip flops that morning while I'm setting up transition, getting body marked, etc, and then will leave them at transition and walk barefoot to the beach. But I'm sure people bring throw away sandals too. Your preference, I guess. I've done the walk barefoot from transition to the beach and it's fine.

2013-07-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: Diesel J

User image

Wisconsin
T minus 3 days!!!

Anyone interested in meeting up for a swim on Saturday morning? 10:30 at the Beach Bar Tiki hut sort of area! Cyndi and I will be there and hopefully you too Rob?? I really just want a feel for the temps after this front pushes through on Friday night. Hope to meet some of you there!!!!

I just need to say outloud how ecstatic I am that it won't be 9,000 degrees on Sunday! I know many of you too! Sign of a good weekend to come!

Amy
2013-07-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: gordon_mom

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
I'd be down for a swim Sat morning. Was planning on a swim about 10:30-11-ish that morning anyway and would love to meet up with some folks!
2013-07-17 3:31 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
I would be up for a swim Saturday morning too, should be getting to North Beach around 11am. Maybe I'll see you guys (and gals).
2013-07-17 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Yes, sounds great
2013-07-17 7:10 PM
in reply to: 0

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Saturday Swim
Hi Amy & Cyndi, I'm planning on going to the Check in at 9 AM on Saturday, and hopefully will be out in an hour. So, if all goes well, I'll see you for a swim at 10:30.

Rob

Edited by Turner100 2013-07-17 7:11 PM

2013-07-18 8:06 AM

User image

10:30 swim on Saturday morning sounds great! There will be three of us joining, traveling from Indiapolis IN tomorrow night - hope to see/meet everyone there.
2013-07-18 10:10 AM
in reply to: mattjsaba

User image

Extreme Veteran
good luck to all doing the race. 3 years I sign up for this race in its 90 degrees or higher each year. finally the year I decide not to race its finally cool. You can thank me for that after your done.
2013-07-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Wisconsin
After we're done- heck no, THANK YOU! Sorry you won't be out there with us but we do appreciate your lack of registration if it created this cool front!
2013-07-18 11:59 AM

User image

Germantown
Does anyone know if the Pro Panel is open for everyone to attend? It would be pretty cool to sit in on that and listen to what our (well my) favorite pros have to say. I also heard rumors that Chrissie Wellington would be there in attendance (not racing). Any info would be great, as I think the Pro Panel could be just Pros and Media.

2013-07-18 12:50 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by julio26pt2

Question that may have been discussed before, but I can't find it. What do people generally do before the race for footwear to get to the start? Do folks generally bring a throwaway pair of shoes or sandals? I searched the document and couldn't find anything about a drop-bag at the swim start. ??

I wore two pairs of crappy socks in Oceanside this year. Worked great

2013-07-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: etasker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by etasker

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Originally posted by waupaca11

Originally posted by Parkie

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Originally posted by cynner

Originally posted by Parkie

Originally posted by cynner

Ok, but the item states the word "must" ".... must be placed in the provided Bike Gear Bag" I am definitely going to check out one of the athlete briefings, but based on the word "must", I am assuming it is not optional

Sounds like WTC does not want anyone with shoes clipped into pedals. At least for AGers. Pros it seems can. Sounds like its to shaved down on start line congestion. There is a thread about it at Slowtwitch in regards to Vineman. Could be because both Vineman and Racine starts with a steep hill the WTC is tired of people crashing.

In my opinion it eliminates start line congestion by being able to have your shoes already clipped in. Instead of being at the starting line at a dead stop, trying to get your shoes clipped in and then slowly start up the hill, you just get to the starting line, hop on and start peddling on top of your shoes. Plus, if you are too slow going up the hill you won't fall over since you can still stop and catch yourself. But that's just one person's opinion.

I have to agree. Plus, I really don't find it very safe to run with bike shoes on. The hard plastic cleats on the concrete is slippery, especially for people really moving through transition. What's the penatly for still clipping in your shoes? It's just much simpler to have them on the bike and only need to worry about strapping on your helmet and glasses.

I think the issue with Racine is people rack their bike in too high a gear for the hill. You come out of transition and its right there-bike mount line, then hill. 3 years in a row I have seem people fall over trying to push massive gear up the hill from a dead stop. Shoes clipped in or not, doesnt matter. Be smart, put your bike in a low gear when you rack on Saturday. And watch out for the big gear pushers at the start.
2013-07-18 5:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by julio26pt2

Like others have said, get some cheap flip flops or heavy socks. You can also walk on the beach the whole way as well. Another thing to take to swim start: Cheap Sunglasses! Get a pair at a gas station or Dollar Store to have while waiting and waiting at swim start that you wont miss leaving on the beach.
2013-07-18 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Super_Rob

Here is my Friday plan if anyone else is interested:

Friday the 19th:
10 am North Beach - acclimation swim 15-30 minutes
10:45 (11-ish) - bike ride on the coarse 40 minutes, Zone 2 or lower

Rob both of those would likely work for me, I planned to get there a little earlier and bring my bike.
2013-07-19 2:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Got in late, no Friday am workouts for me.
2013-07-19 7:06 AM
in reply to: ChicagoMan65

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
regarding shoes/sunglasses/clothing (it's going to be cool at 7am - mid 60's) to wear before the race. My wave does not go until 8am. I was thinking of just bringing a bag with and handing off to a family member before the swim.

I'm going to have to fuel during that hour and a half wait, so i'll need to bring food. I'm going to wait to lube and sunscreen until shortly before the start. So I definitely want a bag with to carry all of the crap.

Anyone else bringing a bag to hand off to a family member? Seems like a logical strategy to me.

2013-07-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: rdietz

User image

New user
Originally posted by rdietz

regarding shoes/sunglasses/clothing (it's going to be cool at 7am - mid 60's) to wear before the race. My wave does not go until 8am. I was thinking of just bringing a bag with and handing off to a family member before the swim.

I'm going to have to fuel during that hour and a half wait, so i'll need to bring food. I'm going to wait to lube and sunscreen until shortly before the start. So I definitely want a bag with to carry all of the crap.

Anyone else bringing a bag to hand off to a family member? Seems like a logical strategy to me.

I'm in the same boat. 8:04 wave start. Definitely planning on a bag for clothes, food, lube, tp, and any other misc. items. I figured the fam can walk it to the car during their down time. Is it also fair to assume porta-potties at the swim start area?

Matt
Bib #1890
2013-07-19 8:13 AM
in reply to: Parkie

Regular
Just want to say good luck to all of you. It has been fun watching your progress. See you in 2015!
2013-07-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: rdietz

User image

Los Angeles
Originally posted by rdietz

bring a gel and some sports drink...you won't need any clothes, unless you're not wearing a wetsuit. In 2011 we just stayed int he water far to the right of the starting area, splashing, warming up, peeing, etc...
2013-07-19 9:00 AM
in reply to: waupaca11

User image

Wisconsin
I don't remember ever seeing port-a-potties or water at the race start. Definately bring anything you'll need depending on your start times. If you don't have family there to grab your bag I don't think anyone would take your stuff. There are some trees along the back of the beach and I've seen people just put their bags under the tree or hang it in the tree. Obviously this means you have to come back later but at least it's an option if you don't have family or friends at the swim start.

I sent ironman an email to hopefully get some clarification to the whole bike bag in transition question. If I hear back I'll post what they say. I don't expect anyone who can answer that question to be at packet pick tonight but I guess we'll also know if there is a "bike transition bag" in our packet goodies!
Safe travels to everyone heading in for the race and hope to meet many of you on Saturday morning! Happy Friday of Race Weekend!!!
Amy
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15