Charleston Running Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 275/326
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early for toast and jam, plus 2 cups of coffee. I meant to bring a banana with me, but forgot that at the last minute. We met up with friends and drove over within about 30 minutes of the race start.
Run
  • 1h 38m 46s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I am definitely a little undertrained for this distance, since most of my post-marathon runs have only been up to 6, one up to 8 miles. Still, I like this race a lot, so I thought I would go ahead and just do it with a conservative run/walk strategy.
After the start, it felt good to get running because it was pretty chilly around start time. I ran with my husband for the first mile or so before starting my 2:00 / 1:00 run/walk intervals. After that, I still did a good job of keeping the run segments at a decent cadence through most of the race, without a lot of effort. I dropped the walk breaks in the last mile, and ended up with a time I was happy with, shaving 4 minutes off of my 2012 time. Not bad seeing as how I did much longer run intervals last year, and ran the first 3 and last 2 miles with no walk breaks. To me, this is some evidence that I can get faster while keeping the walk breaks.
What would you do differently?:

Not slack off over the holidays :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a burrito and water, chatted with friends. After that, we went down to High Thyme and got a bloody mary. Probably not the ideal after race nutrition strategy, but man did that taste good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, and as always, the fear of aggravating my knee.

Last updated: 2013-01-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:46 | 9.32 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/326
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, heading first down Sullivans Island and looping around before splitting off to the right and heading back up on Atlantic, Bayonne and Marshall Blvd. At the top of the island, We head back down, probably on Ion Ave., do another small loop down past Ft. Moultrie and back to the fire station.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes