United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 54/409
Age Group = 30 - 39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Just started training for a triathlon 3 weeks ago and wanted to enter a 5k as motivation and for a baseline time as I use the winter to get into better aerobic shape. This is only my second ever 5k, so I chalk it up largely as a learning experience. Wore my HRM to get an idea of how I performed for future use.

I woke up at 6am, got dressed and downed a fruit smoothie before driving over to the race finish for registration. Took shuttle bus to race start.
Event warmup:

Lunges followed by light stretching and jogging. Indecisive about wearing too much / not enough for the cold conditions.
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

The course started with a short hill lasting about 1/3 mile. I started in the back and had to a lot of weaving around slower runners. Heart rate quickly spiked. The course leveled out and I got into a rhythm until about the 3/4 mile mark before the start of a large hill. HR went to redline by the time I got to the top. A large descent (thankfully) allowed me to get my breathing under control and took me to the halfway point of the course. The rest of the course was flat to rolling hills. I left a little in the tank to pick up the pace right before the finish. Felt like I pushed myself and came in just under my goal (sub 24:00).
What would you do differently?:

Training: Hills and intervals for sure to build strength and speed. Secondly, I would start more toward the front of the pack to avoid passing slower runners.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit after the race and did light stretching once my heart rate and breathing subsided.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training: I am just at the beginning of my training and this was a great learning experience / baseline run for me. I'm definitely motivated to run this winter (especially hills) and enter another 5K come spring time. My goal by summer is to run a 5K at a sub 22:00.
Probably could have shaved off a few seconds by starting in the front of the pack. Lesson learned.

Event comments:

Fun race. Great baseline for me. Will do again next year.

Last updated: 2012-11-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:57 | 03.11 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/
Overall: 54/409
Performance: Good
Ignored HR during race. Look afterward to see I was running at my redline for much of the race.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes