General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Recos Wanted! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-26 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: Bike Recos Wanted!

Hi gang. I intend to purchase a new road bike and would love your suggestions on brand and model. I currently ride a generously donated kick- but ill-fitting Bianchi, and now it's time for me to splurge and buy something that fits me better and suits my needs. 

I'm looking for a women's road bike for someone who rides 2-3 times per week in mostly urban areas. The past 2 years, I rode about 765 miles per year, and topped out at about 50 miles per week in the summer. I'm looking to become a better cyclist and to increase my mileage. I'd like to spend no more than $2,000. 

So far I've heard that the Specialized Ruby is quite popular for a rider like me. I'd love to hear your recommendations and thoughts on your favorite bikes!

2013-01-27 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4596104

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike Recos Wanted!
A few words of advise, first, make sure you get a brand/model that fits you well, that is by far the most important. Don't get stuck on a specific brand or model just because it comes recommended... it may or may not be right for you.

Regarding women's bikes... you can divide these into 3 categories. Ground up design, where the carbon layup, geometry, and contact points (handlebars and saddle primarily) are all uniquely adjusted to fit a shorter and lighter woman. In general, women are shorter than men, and tend to weight less and produce less power, so the stiffness in a traditional unisex frame may be too much, causing the frame to be heavier than needed and also uncomfortable. The second group of manufacturers, takes a unisex model, change out all contact points and change the paint job. And the third, they simply do not see a need for a womens specific model, but rather build their unisex bikes in the smaller sizes with a woman in mind (Cervelo for example).

The taller you are, the less of a need will you have for a woman specific bike.

The best option would be to spend $250 on a bike fit and $1750 on the perfect fitting bike. That's a better option than spending $2000 on the bike alone... Many times the cost (or at least a large portion of it) of the bike fit will be credited towards the purchasing price (and $250 is on the higher side). Find a reputable bike fitter in your area by talking to fellow triathletes, cyclists, etc. and ask who they use and recommend.

Edited by audiojan 2013-01-27 6:22 AM
2013-01-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4596274

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

@audiojan - Thanks for the info - very helpful!

I'm 5'6". I'm pretty sure my mountain bike (Trek) is a man's bike and it's fine, but it's super super heavy. I am still looking for a list of models that I should check out. I'm only familiar with 2-3 brands (Trek, Bianchi, Specialized) so I wanted some input here before going to a bike shop. 

2013-01-29 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4599382

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I don't want to sound mean, but having a list of brands won't do you any good. You should limit your search to only those brands and models that actually fits you. That's why it's so important to find a good fitter that you can trust. Their expertise in what fits you well and what doesn't fit you will quickly limit your search to only the viable options. Combine that with the budget you have set and you have a short list of probably 5-10 bikes.

As for components, Shimano 105, Ultegra, or Dura-Ace; SRAM Force or Red; Campagnolo Centaur, Chorus, Record or Super Record are all good.
2013-01-29 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4599471

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

OK thanks. I don't have a good bike shop in mind (I have to find a new one), so I was just hoping to be armed with information before I go in the store. 

Of the 3 or 4 local bike shops I've been in, I've had bad advice/bad service, and conflicting information at every place that sells bikes. Based on that experience, I don't really trust bike sales people anywhere near me; hence, the part about the good fitter is the part where we're seeing things differently. In my experience, if you aren't able to 'talk shop' with they guys in the store, or if you're not into 'bike culture,' they dismiss you real quick. They just sell you anything and move on to the next customer. 

I will take your advice and move over to the Illinois thread to try and find some bike shop recos. 

I have campy components on my bike right now and am having a hard time finding a bike shop that can repair them properly.

Appreciate your input.

Edited by nmladic 2013-01-29 10:01 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Recos Wanted! Rss Feed