General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 vs big training week prior to IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-28 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
Subject: 70.3 vs big training week prior to IM

Considering two options for 8-7 weeks out of my A race:

Option 1: HIM-I would probably take later part of the week easy just to make sure I wasn't inviting any injury.  I would race the HIM hard, trying to pace and nail my nutrition for a race of that length.  I would also need to take some time to recovery and have a "free" week worked into my schedule to do what I feel I'm up for.

Option 2: Big training week.  I was planning a big bump in volume throughout the course of the week.  Several open water swims, long rides, etc.  (If you're familiar with the EN way, this is what they call their Big Tri Week.

While I debate the pros and cons of each...I'd love to hear some of your thoughts.  Thanks!

Edited by runninirish 2013-01-28 7:39 PM

2013-01-28 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4598726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: 70.3 vs big training week prior to IM
Honestly, six to one half dozen to the other IMO.  I like to race, so I do a HIM during IM prep.  Depending on what plan you follow some call for the race (Fink) some call for the big week (Friel).  Do whichever you enjoy more.  I have a buddy who races IMs who doesn't do the race during prep because he doesn't want to spend the $.  To each their own.  
2013-01-28 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4598766

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: 70.3 vs big training week prior to IM
japewang - 2013-01-28 6:08 PMHonestly, six to one half dozen to the other IMO.  I like to race, so I do a HIM during IM prep.  Depending on what plan you follow some call for the race (Fink) some call for the big week (Friel).  Do whichever you enjoy more.  I have a buddy who races IMs who doesn't do the race during prep because he doesn't want to spend the $.  To each their own.  
I am thinking of doing a few race simulations instead of a HIM because of the cost of races. I am training for Vineman Full in Late July. I wouldn't be racing it anyway so why not just go it alone enjoy the pace without all they hype along with some support from family.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 vs big training week prior to IM Rss Feed