General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 2
 
 
2013-06-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Does anoyone know where to get a 4.4 mi sticker or magnet?

Thanks.
Mike


2013-06-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: mdalsey


6

Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by mdalsey

Does anoyone know where to get a 4.4 mi sticker or magnet?

Thanks.
Mike


Try this site http://bayswim.com/merchandise.html There is a phone number that should point you in the right direction.
2013-06-11 9:24 AM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
I was swimming extremely well and didn't bother stopping at any water/food boats. To be honest, i did not even notice any. I was in first overall from about mile 1 till 3.5. It was a bit hard to tell because there was not a well formed lead pack. I had four guys drafting behind me and couldn't see one red cap ahead. I checked my Garmin after the race and was pleased with my first three miles of 19:32, 20:15 and 19:49. I didn't eat enough before the race, nor did i drink enough, combined with the water temp, i blew up hard toward the end and was passed by 20 plus people. My last mile was around 34-35 minutes. I thought that current toward the end was the end of me!

Can't wait to do this race again next year, i certainly learned that you can't swim that far without taking in nutrition (at least enough before the start). This was the first time i experienced by body shutting down, something i never want to experience again.

Other than that, i absolutely loved this race. You couldn't possibly have a better venue!! on top of that it was a gorgeous day!
2013-06-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: oroadsm1

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by oroadsm1

Originally posted by mdalsey

Does anoyone know where to get a 4.4 mi sticker or magnet?

Thanks.
Mike


Try this site http://bayswim.com/merchandise.html There is a phone number that should point you in the right direction.


Thanks! I'll give them a call.
2013-06-11 9:42 AM
in reply to: MFConlon

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by MFConlon

I was swimming extremely well and didn't bother stopping at any water/food boats. To be honest, i did not even notice any. I was in first overall from about mile 1 till 3.5. It was a bit hard to tell because there was not a well formed lead pack. I had four guys drafting behind me and couldn't see one red cap ahead. I checked my Garmin after the race and was pleased with my first three miles of 19:32, 20:15 and 19:49. I didn't eat enough before the race, nor did i drink enough, combined with the water temp, i blew up hard toward the end and was passed by 20 plus people. My last mile was around 34-35 minutes. I thought that current toward the end was the end of me!

Can't wait to do this race again next year, i certainly learned that you can't swim that far without taking in nutrition (at least enough before the start). This was the first time i experienced by body shutting down, something i never want to experience again.

Other than that, i absolutely loved this race. You couldn't possibly have a better venue!! on top of that it was a gorgeous day!


Sorry to hear about the end of your race, but the pace you were holding until then was amazing! Wow. I wasn't going anywhere near as fast as you were, but I think I had my hydration/nutrition correct. I ate and drank alot (non-alcoholic of course) the night before and morning of the race. I faded a little at the end, but not too bad.
2013-06-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: mdalsey

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
I think that current at the end hurt just about everyone. I couldn't keep myself out from under the bridge. There wasn't one person in the top 20 who wasn't weaving in and out from under it.

I tend to get very nervous before most races not really sure why. I'm kicking myself for ignoring what i had planned to eat/drink once we got to the start.


2013-06-12 8:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
(You're welcome for the advice/things to pack.)

I had the same issue with the current, but it seems like everyone did, so that at least levels the playing field in some respect. It was definitely a tidal current. I should find a way to get some kind of apology to the poor kayaker that was near me around mile 4 and heard me yell out "F*CK THIS SH*T!!!" while literally doing side stroke to the left to avoid being swept out of the bridge. I've never been so happy to see two buoys like I was when I reached the sweet, sweet release of heading out of the bridge spans. It was around that time that I was envying everyone around me who had wet suits on.

I can't imagine swimming that far and then being pulled in the last 1/2 mile. WOOF.

Congratulations on the finish!!! That's a huge accomplishment, and now you can consider yourself a vet---and give all the first-timers advice next year.

Edit: Mike, we seriously tied. Holy moly. What a small freaking world!!

Originally posted by mdalsey

What a great day on the Bay! Curious what everyone thought about the race today. I didn't encounter any current at all until near the end, but I wasn't sure if it was really a current, or I was just tired. I felt like I was being pulled to the right a little bit as we neared the other side.

This was my first one - I hope to be back again. Thanks for all the great advice that was posted here.

Mike


Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-12 8:34 AM
2013-06-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: MFConlon

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Wow! That's an amazing pace...with that kind of start, who cares if it took you an hour to do the last mile? Way to go!

I didn't notice any food/water boats, either, and I thought I was going crazy for a minute. I did see a small speed boat around mile 1 by the far left bridge span, with a balloon attached to it, but I assumed that might have been a medical boat, because the food/water boats were going to be at mile 2 and mile 3. They must have been off to the side or something, because until that current-of-doom, I was doing a decent job of sticking to the middle of the course.

I'm sorry you had the whole body-shut-down thing, it's soooooo rough...and a tough lesson to learn. You're a trooper for sticking it out and finishing!

I have found that 24 hours before the Bay Swim, I drink as much water as I possibly can. I had pasta for dinner on Saturday night, and probably consumed 6 pints of water during it. Then, before the swim, I had a piece of toast with PB and Banana on it for breakfast...another 20 oz of water, and I sucked down one of those Gatorade Prime packets, and a pack of energy chews and I was good. Sore towards the end, but not at all dehydrated, and I didn't need the food boats. After the swim, I had two bottles of water and I was good. Plus, nothing keeps you hydrated like drinking a quart of MD Department of Heath-advised Bay Water. Booyah.


Originally posted by MFConlon

I was swimming extremely well and didn't bother stopping at any water/food boats. To be honest, i did not even notice any. I was in first overall from about mile 1 till 3.5. It was a bit hard to tell because there was not a well formed lead pack. I had four guys drafting behind me and couldn't see one red cap ahead. I checked my Garmin after the race and was pleased with my first three miles of 19:32, 20:15 and 19:49. I didn't eat enough before the race, nor did i drink enough, combined with the water temp, i blew up hard toward the end and was passed by 20 plus people. My last mile was around 34-35 minutes. I thought that current toward the end was the end of me!

Can't wait to do this race again next year, i certainly learned that you can't swim that far without taking in nutrition (at least enough before the start). This was the first time i experienced by body shutting down, something i never want to experience again.

Other than that, i absolutely loved this race. You couldn't possibly have a better venue!! on top of that it was a gorgeous day!
2013-06-12 12:55 PM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by BostonSwim41

(You're welcome for the advice/things to pack.)

I had the same issue with the current, but it seems like everyone did, so that at least levels the playing field in some respect. It was definitely a tidal current. I should find a way to get some kind of apology to the poor kayaker that was near me around mile 4 and heard me yell out "F*CK THIS SH*T!!!" while literally doing side stroke to the left to avoid being swept out of the bridge. I've never been so happy to see two buoys like I was when I reached the sweet, sweet release of heading out of the bridge spans. It was around that time that I was envying everyone around me who had wet suits on.

I can't imagine swimming that far and then being pulled in the last 1/2 mile. WOOF.

Congratulations on the finish!!! That's a huge accomplishment, and now you can consider yourself a vet---and give all the first-timers advice next year.

Edit: Mike, we seriously tied. Holy moly. What a small freaking world!!


That is amazing that we had exactly the same time and tied. I attribute that to the fact that I actually printed your list out and used it as my race day guide! My preparation and pre-race routine was identical to yours. I was reading it in the parking lot before I got on the bus and then checked it again over at the start.

If we had the same time and you did not wear a wetsuit, you are a much better swimmer than I am. I "cheated" and wore one.

2013-06-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: mdalsey

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Did you start in the same wave, how the heck did you tie!!??? that's so crazy, a tie after 4.4 miles.
2013-06-12 4:13 PM
in reply to: MFConlon

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by MFConlon

Did you start in the same wave, how the heck did you tie!!??? that's so crazy, a tie after 4.4 miles.


I started in wave 2. I don't remember anyone crossing the mat right when I did. However, after 2+ hrs in the water, I wasn't totally coherent.

BostonSwim41 - were you in wave 1 or wave 2?


2013-06-12 10:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
371
1001001002525
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
MFConlan, were you skin swim or wetsuit?

EFS liquid shot calories is good for tucking in your suit if you're swimming skin; 400 calories per bottle.

Although I despise all things gatorade, the "Prime" is good for putting down front of your wetsuit. (snip the tear strip a little more to make opening it with your teeth go faster.) Gets you 4 oz fluid, 100 calories and some electrolytes. I carried two, and didn't have to bother with the "feed" boats.

Might want to also look at your pre-race (several days in advance) nutrition and hydration. Based on what you report for your splits, it seems to me that 1.5 hours or less in the H2O without calories/fluids/electrolytes is feasible.

Edited by TriBee 2013-06-12 10:30 PM
2013-06-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by mdalsey

Originally posted by MFConlon

Did you start in the same wave, how the heck did you tie!!??? that's so crazy, a tie after 4.4 miles.


I started in wave 2. I don't remember anyone crossing the mat right when I did. However, after 2+ hrs in the water, I wasn't totally coherent.

BostonSwim41 - were you in wave 1 or wave 2?


I was in wave 1, so you came in EXACTLY 15 minutes after I did. That is so crazy.

I bet we did the same pre-race routine hahaha, that's why we tied. I'm glad the list was helpful! And I don't know, I think the wetsuit would slow me up a bit, due to over-heating. You hardly "cheated" by having one on.

Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-13 2:17 PM
2013-06-13 6:03 PM
in reply to: TriBee

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by TriBee

MFConlan, were you skin swim or wetsuit?

EFS liquid shot calories is good for tucking in your suit if you're swimming skin; 400 calories per bottle.

Although I despise all things gatorade, the "Prime" is good for putting down front of your wetsuit. (snip the tear strip a little more to make opening it with your teeth go faster.) Gets you 4 oz fluid, 100 calories and some electrolytes. I carried two, and didn't have to bother with the "feed" boats.

Might want to also look at your pre-race (several days in advance) nutrition and hydration. Based on what you report for your splits, it seems to me that 1.5 hours or less in the H2O without calories/fluids/electrolytes is feasible.


Wetsuit. So I think the water temp also contributed to me crashing, 76 is just too warm for me.

Yes I agree, pre-race intake was not anywhere close to what I needed. Ever since high school I get pre-race jitters and become forgetful of what I need to do. The sad part was I packed everything I wanted to eat/drink prior to the race, just never got around to it.

2013-06-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
371
1001001002525
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
I'm suggesting that you look at what you are eating/drinking day(s) prior to the race, not just immediately before.

My primary concern for this race (and I was out there over two hours) was hydration. Two days before the event I began drinking, drinking, drinking and piling on the salt to help retain the fluid and other electrolytes to keep in balance. The day before I began focusing on nutrition, with breakfast with meat and fat; protein lunch; early light carb supper. Day of race three hours before I had a home made breakfast burrito with 2 eggs, a little chopped ham and grated cheese, 6 oz yogurt and a banana. In the hour prior to race I'll have diluted sport drink, and a banana about 15 minutes prior to start.

With that I'm good to go for a hard effort of 1.5 hours with no nutrition or hydration. Longer than that I have to have some, but not much. That's what works for me, may, and probably is, different for you. Just don't neglect what you're doing in the days prior to the race.

Also,I'm a firm believer that irrespective of nutrition, training, etc, if I blow up at the end of the race, it's because I went out too fast for my training, conditions, etc. I'm a slow swimmer, but I held a disciplined pace for the first three, then passed a bunch of swimmers in the last 1.4 miles.

Edited by TriBee 2013-06-14 9:57 AM
2013-06-15 4:47 PM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

Veteran
329
10010010025
Roanoke, VA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by BostonSwim41

I was in wave 1, so you came in EXACTLY 15 minutes after I did. That is so crazy.

I bet we did the same pre-race routine hahaha, that's why we tied. I'm glad the list was helpful! And I don't know, I think the wetsuit would slow me up a bit, due to over-heating. You hardly "cheated" by having one on.


Katie - I remember reading this article a few years ago about some people (usually females, strong kick, swimming background) who might be slower in a wetsuit. Not related to overheating, but still interesting:

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2011/07/are-you-slower-in-wetsuit.ht...



2013-06-17 10:38 AM
in reply to: mdalsey

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread

Katie - I remember reading this article a few years ago about some people (usually females, strong kick, swimming background) who might be slower in a wetsuit. Not related to overheating, but still interesting:

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2011/07/are-you-slower-in-wetsuit.ht...


Wow, that's a really interesting read. I would definitely agree with most of it--I definitely just use my kick for stability. I feel REALLY awkward if I decide to kick strongly or quickly; I get all choppy and ridiculous. I think the cons outweigh the pros in terms of wetsuits for me, so I just go without.

It's just REALLY frustrating that I know I probably won't ever place or get an award doing the Bay Swim because I don't use a wet suit. It's not so much that it would help me if I wore one, it's just that it seems to really helps others. It's annoying when I train my face off in the water, and some chick that does 1/4 of what I do in terms of effort/yardage to prepare says something like "wow, you only beat me by 2 minutes? It's nice to know that I don't have to train as much and I do almost as well".

I wish slapping people was allowed.
2013-06-17 7:23 PM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by BostonSwim41


Katie - I remember reading this article a few years ago about some people (usually females, strong kick, swimming background) who might be slower in a wetsuit. Not related to overheating, but still interesting:

http://www.feelforthewater.com/2011/07/are-you-slower-in-wetsuit.ht...


Wow, that's a really interesting read. I would definitely agree with most of it--I definitely just use my kick for stability. I feel REALLY awkward if I decide to kick strongly or quickly; I get all choppy and ridiculous. I think the cons outweigh the pros in terms of wetsuits for me, so I just go without.

It's just REALLY frustrating that I know I probably won't ever place or get an award doing the Bay Swim because I don't use a wet suit. It's not so much that it would help me if I wore one, it's just that it seems to really helps others. It's annoying when I train my face off in the water, and some chick that does 1/4 of what I do in terms of effort/yardage to prepare says something like "wow, you only beat me by 2 minutes? It's nice to know that I don't have to train as much and I do almost as well".

I wish slapping people was allowed.


I am sure you can adapt to using one. I've been a strong distance swimmer my whole life, I can still do a sub 5 minute 500 at 31 years old and I guarantee the wetsuit helps me a lot. Any amount of added buoyancy and smooth surface will make anyone faster. Others just benefit more because a wetsuit makes up for their stroke deficiencies.

I find it very uncomfortable being in one overall, I feel restricted and the heat inside the suit is crazy. Regardless, I am faster with it on and you will be as well. You just need to adjust your stroke to feel comfortable. For one 4.4 miles is freagin far and your kicking should be extremely limited as it is.

Which suits have you tried? I found that some are feel much more buoyant than others. First time in an Xterra vortex I felt like a bubble on top of the water, I hated it. I now use the HUUB Archimedes, which is just awesome for me.
2013-06-18 8:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by MFConlon

I am sure you can adapt to using one. I've been a strong distance swimmer my whole life, I can still do a sub 5 minute 500 at 31 years old and I guarantee the wetsuit helps me a lot. Any amount of added buoyancy and smooth surface will make anyone faster. Others just benefit more because a wetsuit makes up for their stroke deficiencies.

I find it very uncomfortable being in one overall, I feel restricted and the heat inside the suit is crazy. Regardless, I am faster with it on and you will be as well. You just need to adjust your stroke to feel comfortable. For one 4.4 miles is freagin far and your kicking should be extremely limited as it is.

Which suits have you tried? I found that some are feel much more buoyant than others. First time in an Xterra vortex I felt like a bubble on top of the water, I hated it. I now use the HUUB Archimedes, which is just awesome for me.


Sub 5 minutes in a 500? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's awesome.

I've actually only worn one of those shorty wet suits...no arms, and the legs go down to the knees. I hated it. Like, HATED it. I only wore it because the water I was swimming in was about 58 degrees. I would have ripped the thing off and left it in the river if it wasn't for the 3-foot chop I was battling. It was just so heavy on my shoulders and restrictive (not to mention the horrible burns I got from it, despite the Body Glide I used)...it reminded me of back when I used to swim and I'd squeeze into a size 18 chest paper suit for nationals or whatever....but worse because the shoulder straps were really wide.

I think, also, though, part of the lack of wanting to wear a wet suit is that I love knowing that I earned the time that I get, no matter what place I get. t's not that it makes it less impressive...I'm pretty sure the Bay Swim is tough no matter what you have going on...but it's just a personal thing. I like knowing that I MYSELF crossed the Bay in 2 hours and 14 minutes......going in the 1:50s fairly easily would be cool with a wet suit, but the time would mean nothing to me, and I'd feel as though I wouldn't know if I actually improved or not.

Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-18 8:54 AM
2013-06-18 2:57 PM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

User image


1300
1000100100100
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
You would definitely get used to wearing one. I made the mistake of my first wetsuit swim being a race and it threw me all out of whack. After a few more swims wearing it I got more comfortable and do wear it more often now because it is quicker. It sounds like the shorty you were wearing was more of a surfing wetsuit and not a race suit? That would definitely make you miserable.
As for personal choice I agree with you on preferring not to wear one. The problem is so many people do wear them (at least in tri's) I got to the point where I decided maybe for me it was a pride thing and I was always trying to "show" them I was a swimmer. Finally a wiser and quick enough to be top 3 podium type person pointed out what I was giving up. So now I broke it down to tri's (usually) OWS (depends on water temp). Also one of the good thing about OWS events is they are usually a bit more stringent on when a wetsuit can be worn. I wish USAT would be a little more discerning on when a wetsuit can be worn since it is such a big aide. Then again I am biased toward the swim to the point that I feel most are too short compared to the bike/run. It's my only advantage so I wish I could get a bit more out of it.
I thought after the Fran Crippen tragedy they would adjust the water temps wetsuits can be worn.
2013-06-18 6:03 PM
in reply to: MLPFS

User image

Veteran
230
10010025
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
Originally posted by MLPFS


I thought after the Fran Crippen tragedy they would adjust the water temps wetsuits can be worn.



I know fran wasn't wearing one that day, I'm actually pretty sure wetsuits are not used at all in FINA open water swimming. I think they have the same rules as pool swimming regarding suit texture, but they can wear one that covers the chest.

I believe US swimming set overall temperature at 85 degrees. I also think the USAT cutoff for wetsuits is above 78 to 84 for awards and not allowed when over 84 degrees.

Fran was probably the most impressive swimmer I've ever seen in my life. I will never forget seeing him go 4:19 in the 500 when he was in high school, it was just insane. I can't imagine what his family has gone through since his death. I've met Maddy and Theresa along with Fran on a few occasion, they are great people.


2013-06-18 11:41 PM
in reply to: MFConlon

User image


1300
1000100100100
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
I was thinking USAT and other governing bodies would take a closer look at the temps due to the nature of the tragedy from heat exposure. Not that he was wearing one. I should've been a little clearer. Horrible event and yes a gifted swimmer. Never got to see him swim in person but had read about him for years from updates on GA's program.
2013-07-10 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image


41
25
Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread
I REALLY wish that they had the same rule in the GCBS that they have for some triathlons, where if you wear a wet suit over a certain water temperature, you are not eligible for prizes. I would have won my age group if that rule was in place. I came in 4th by 40 lousy seconds.

Plus, when it's really warm, it's clear that people are wearing a wet suit for a flotation advantage. I say that's totally fine, and it should be completely allowed since it could be a safety issue, but IMO, you can either cross the bay by yourself or you can't. If the only reason you're able to do the bay swim is because you have something helping you stay afloat...something that non-wet suit wearers have to use energy doing...then you really shouldn't be allowed to win anything, other than the ability to say you got to coast to the finish line.

Edited by KatieSwim12 2013-07-10 10:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 2