General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-29 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread

Well, it appears I got in the lottery and they accepted my payment.  I sent in my qualifications, but no response back.  Do they confirm that you meet the final qualifications or if your name is still on the list, does that mean you are good to go?

Anyone know where to find a training plan for this or similar OWS?  This is the first OWS only event outside of tri's and an aquathon, so not sure what to do.  I've started attending a masters program and that is getting me motivated and in the pool.  Didn't realize how slow of a swimmer I was until I joined the masters program with all the REAL swimmers.

Also, any veterans that can give tips on this race?

2013-02-01 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4599823

Subject: RE: Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread

I got an e-mail back indicating that had accepted the qualifying time.

This will be my 4th Bay Swim, the first since 2007.  I train almost solely with a masters program.  I will swim 3x a week (about 10-12k yards) and may through in a couple OWS as the water warms up. In this swim, there is a good chance you will need to speed up / slow down based on the current.  Repeats at Masters workouts will help a lot.

In the race itself, do your best to stay as close to the middle as possible -- stay aware of the currents.  If you cannot see both spans, you have an issue. Otherwise, just keep swimming and have fun, this is a great swim.

2013-02-05 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4604427

User image

Veteran
Richmond
oroadsm1 - 2013-02-01 11:19 AM

I got an e-mail back indicating that had accepted the qualifying time.

This will be my 4th Bay Swim, the first since 2007.  I train almost solely with a masters program.  I will swim 3x a week (about 10-12k yards) and may through in a couple OWS as the water warms up. In this swim, there is a good chance you will need to speed up / slow down based on the current.  Repeats at Masters workouts will help a lot.

In the race itself, do your best to stay as close to the middle as possible -- stay aware of the currents.  If you cannot see both spans, you have an issue. Otherwise, just keep swimming and have fun, this is a great swim.

Thanks for the reply, but now I'm worried since I never recieved any acceptance email of my qualifying time.  Although, I am still listed on the lottery winners listing and followed all instructions.  I sent Linda another email to check on it.  The last time I sent a request on status, she replied that more confirmation were going out the next day, but that was on 1/16.  Thanks for the race tips, I'll keep those in mind.

2013-02-08 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Today I received final approval of Great Chesapeake Bay Swim qualifications, so it's now official. The longest attempted swim of my life coming up in June across the Chesapeake Bay!
2013-02-08 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA

No real training advice other than to Swim. A. Lot.  The race is a great experience, but it's much different than any other open water swim I've ever done.  The current can be quite strong and you can feel like you are floating along like a top out there.

Not sure I agree with the advice about staying in the middle - I'd suggest listening to the pre-race briefing on current direction, and then hug the "upstream" span to avoid getting washed out.  Note the "upstream" span is likely to change halfway through the race due to tides.

And be ready for a lot of "real" swimmers out there - I am a pretty strong swimmer but there were guys from the second wave (starts 30 minutes behind) just blowing past me like I was standing still.

2013-02-12 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Any recommendations on places to stay? 

2013-02-18 12:53 AM

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
Book as early as you can.  The race is always on the same day as Eagleman, which means every hotel east of the Bay Bridge is probably already sold out.  Your best bet is probably somewhere in/near Annapolis.
2013-02-22 9:57 AM

User image

Congrats on getting in!  It's a swim event that you'll never forget.  It's one of the hardest things I've ever done in the water, but it's so much fun.  

I agree with the comment about staying in Annapolis.  Unfortunately, the second weekend in June is always EXTREMELY busy because of GCBS and Eagle Man, so most of the really close hotels are probably already booked.  Look in Annapolis.

In terms of training, I just up my distance every week until about two weeks out, I'm swimming five times a week at about 8,000 yards per workout.  4.4 miles translates into 7,744 yards (or 7,080 meters), so you don't want to do that every week, you want to do that distance almost every time you get in the pool when you're close to the race date.  Logistically, though, that can be tough, because doing 5,000 - 8,00 yard workouts can take 2 - 4 hours, depending on your ability, and who has time for something like that?   I only have time for it because I'm not a triathlete, and my running is just plan sad, so I spend 90% of my cardio time in the water.

If you were to start next week at around 3,000 yards for a work out and just add 500 yards/week, you'd reach 8,000 yards the week before the event.  Easy-peasy!

In terms of the race itself, really pay attention to the pre-swim meeting.  They will go over the water temperatures, the wind speeds, and the currents/tide patterns of the bay.  In 2011, the trip out to the bridge was easy-peasy, but the first mile or so, once I was under the spans, was pretty brutal; I found myself drifting towards the right span quite a bit...so much that I had to turn to my left and swim for a couple minutes directly at the left span.  But, once I hit the 2 mile mark, it was pretty smooth sailing the rest of the way.  There are food boats and miles 2 and 3, so you can stop and get some water, Muscle Milk, Bananas, Gatorade, Vanilla wafers, take a quick break and keep on going.

You will never be alone out in the middle of the bay.  There are about 500 volunteers who kayak, boat, and float around if you ever need or just want someone to keep an eye on.  You're not allowed to ever get towed along by a kayak, but if you need a break, they are more than happy to let you hold on and do that.  The first 500 yards out to the bridge is a typical Cuisinart start, so I just stand on the beach and let everyone beat each other up and then go once everything is clear.   Once you hit the bridge, though, everyone is pretty spread out and you'll have your own space to do your own thing.

Don't worry about the cleanliness of the Bay...it's actually one of the cleanest open bodies of water I've swam in.  The only trouble I usually get is when you're on the last mile or so and the bridge is coming back down on the other side; if it's a hot day and the traffic is bad on the bridge, you'll get a lovely taste of gasoline.  Other than the occasional twig I'd bump into, or a floating piece of rope from a boat, it was clear.  The water is also usually around 80 degrees.

Just have fun and don't stress about anything.  It'll be one of the most exhausting swimming events you'll ever do, but when you finish, you'll think "let's do that again!!"

See you on the shore.

2013-02-23 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4633081

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Thanks for the tips Boston, that is some serious swim yardage, 8000 each workout???  I joined a masters swim and doing that 3x per week and adding a long swim that will get progressively longer each week.  I did a 4000 yd today, broken up in 500's and 1000s at an easy pace and it wasn't a problem for me, so I'll start to pick it up in the coming weeks just to see how I progress on the longer swims.  I also have been running 2-3x per week and have a half marathon tomorrow, so getting some cross-training in too.  I'm really looking forward to this event.

I just got a postcard from GCBS confirming my entry fee is tax deductible, now that is a bonus, only if all races were tax deductible!! lol!

2013-03-01 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I'm curious if your family can be at the start and what the best plan for wife and child is before, during and at finish of race?  Thanks.
2013-03-01 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4641929

Your family can be at the start, but they will charge $5 a person to get into Sandy Point Park.  They can then drive over the bridge to the finish (they will have plenty of time).  The park actually has a nice beach to hang out for a while.  Otherwise, they can head over to Hemingways -- I recommend a tent / umbrella, it always seems to be really hot and unshaded.

I just bumped to 3 swims a week, about 11K and will stay there until May, when I will add an open water swim one morning.  8,000 in one workout is a monster.

2013-04-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4634400

User image

You're more than welcome.    The thought of crossing the Bay is a bit intimidating, and there's a reason why it's so famous---but it's so much fun, and with the training you do, you'll be able to do it without much problem.  Your yardage is great, and in my opinion, if you can comfortably do 1,000 yards straight, you can do 8,000 yards straight.  For me, the issue isn't so much the physical aspect, but the mental aspect.  Swimming can be SO BORING, so the only really tough part about the whole thing is keeping your mind occupied for 2-3 hours.  

You by no means need to be doing 8,000 yard a work-out, I'm just a swimmer, and I swim 6 days a week and then might go for a walk on a random Wednesday.  I'm a clumsy person on land, so I tend to avoid it by staying in the water.  (The thought of jogging one mile makes me want to take a nap.)  So, the only reason why I am now doing 11,000 a few times a week in one work out is because that's all I do for cardio.

The person above this comment gave great tips about family at the start/finish.   Your family being at the start has a great benefit--you won't have to put your things in a labeled bag to be picked up at the finish, they can just take your things with them.  The event is ran really smoothly, and in the two times I've done it, I've never had my belongings stolen or lost, so if they don't accompany you to the start, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable leaving your things in the hands of the race people.

We should get a casual meet-up going before the event, if you or anyone else you know, is doing the swim.  It's always nice to have some familiar faces on the beach before we all embark on something like this.

mdfahy - 2013-02-23 4:33 PM

Thanks for the tips Boston, that is some serious swim yardage, 8000 each workout???  I joined a masters swim and doing that 3x per week and adding a long swim that will get progressively longer each week.  I did a 4000 yd today, broken up in 500's and 1000s at an easy pace and it wasn't a problem for me, so I'll start to pick it up in the coming weeks just to see how I progress on the longer swims.  I also have been running 2-3x per week and have a half marathon tomorrow, so getting some cross-training in too.  I'm really looking forward to this event.

I just got a postcard from GCBS confirming my entry fee is tax deductible, now that is a bonus, only if all races were tax deductible!! lol!

2013-06-03 9:39 AM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
A few logistics questions for the vets out there. This will be my first attempt at the Chesapeake Bay swim.

I've read through the info about race logistics. We need to ride shuttle buses from the finish side back to the start. It seems like we'll be at the starting area for quite a while before we actually swim.

What do you usually take with you on the shuttle bus? Are you already in your wetsuit (assuming you're using one) or do you change into it over in the starting area? It sounds like we'll have a bag that they will transport to the finishing area for us. Not quite sure what I'd want or need in there.

I'm sure some of this will be more obvious to me on the morning of the swim, but I thought I'd try to get a heads up from those of you that have done this before.

Thanks.
Mike
2013-06-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: mdalsey

User image

Regular
Malvern, PA
It is a long-ish wait before the start. I don't think I saw anyone with their wetsuit on the bus. Not much else you need to bring except suit, goggles, cap. Except make sure you bring sunscreen or you will get scorched. May want to bring a bottle of water or something to sip while you wait.
2013-06-05 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Looks like it could be a little chilly at start time, so maybe a layer to throw off?
2013-06-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: mdfahy

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
might be a stupid question but, obviously you don't wear your wetsuit in the bus ride over. How do your clothes or other gear get back to the marina, do they have bags tagged with your bib number that you pick up later? I didnt see anything mentioned in all the instructions.

2013-06-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: MFConlon

User image

Regular
Newport News
Per www.lin-mark.com race details:
"5:30 to 7:00 a.m.
4.4 Shuttle Buses depart the Park & Ride lots from the Eastern shores.
buses will drop you off next to the public restrooms at Sandy Point State Park. Coffee will be available. March of Dimes volunteers will also have a collection table set up. Bags will be numbered/names for transportation of any items you have, back to the eastern shores, at Hemingways Marina. Volunteers will have them in the parking lot area close to the outside of the finish line area fencing. "

Have a good swim
2013-06-07 7:28 AM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
Thanks for the feedback. Of course I have no idea what the water conditions will really be, but as of right now it looks like we've got a good weather forecast and the water temps look good.

This is a bucket list item for me - I am looking forward to Sunday morning!

2013-06-07 12:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I usually just pack a backpack with the basics that you'll need at the start, but more importantly, the finish.
This is what I generally pack:

- A large towel and a smaller towel
- Your wetsuit (if you wear one)
- About 32 oz of water. The general formula for swimming is 8 oz before you swim, and then 8 oz for every 20 minutes of actual swimming. There will be food/hydration boats, so you can stop and get a few good gulps, but you CANNOT over hydrate for this. I mean, unless your bladder ruptures, but whatever.
- Pair of flip flops, or shoes that are easy to slip on and somewhat water-proof
- A latex swim cap of my color wave. I prefer latex because it's much more forgiving and stretchy when it comes to swimming as compared to silicone (trust me on this one) so it stays on my head much better
- Any kind of power bar or hydration gel/chew that you might take pre race, and one that you might want for the ride home in the car. Seriously, pack some snacks for the ride home, becuase 99% of the time, the traffic is going to be a cluster F on the bridge, so it's nice to power-house food at the race, but then have a few snacks while you wear your sweet medal back over the bridge.
- 2 pairs of Goggles (or one pair and an extra strap). Nothing worse than putting goggles on your face and have the strap snap
- Body glide (if you wear a wetsuit, so you can prevent chaffing)
- Vasaline (if you don't wear a wetsuit, so you can prevent chaffing)
- A small bottle of ibuprofen. I usually take 600 mg about a half hour before my wave goes off, just to prevent any soreness or help with any potential last-mile muscle tightening. Trust me, it works wonders!
- Sunblock, and, like, SPF 70. You're going to be spending 2+ hours with your back to the sun for most of it. (Be sure to lather up your butt if you don't wear a wetsuit. Learned that one the hard way in 2011)
- Any other odd and ends you might want....headphones to listen to tunes, a good luck charm, whatever

You don't need to put your wetsuit on before you get on the shuttle. Once you get to the start area, there will be clearly marked spaces to pick up your packet, get marked, and pick up your trash bag. After you get all your stuff, just find a quiet spot, out of the sun, to put on your wet suit and just relax. I usually time it so that I'm sun-screened up and ready to go about 5 minutes before the pre-race meeting, because once that's over, the first wave will walk directly to the water. You'll put all your things into the trash bag (that will be white and have your number/name on it), and you'll pick it up at the finish.

I'm not a veteran by any means, but I've done it twice before, so I can answer any questions you guys might have (and I'll try to answer the ones that have been asked here).
It's seriously one of the toughest swims, but you will get to Hemmingway's, and think "Let's do that again!"

I'm #221, so if any of you see me on the shore, stop by and say hi. I'll be the chick that's in a knee-length racing suit, but it's not a wet suit.

Originally posted by mdalsey

A few logistics questions for the vets out there. This will be my first attempt at the Chesapeake Bay swim.

I've read through the info about race logistics. We need to ride shuttle buses from the finish side back to the start. It seems like we'll be at the starting area for quite a while before we actually swim.

What do you usually take with you on the shuttle bus? Are you already in your wetsuit (assuming you're using one) or do you change into it over in the starting area? It sounds like we'll have a bag that they will transport to the finishing area for us. Not quite sure what I'd want or need in there.

I'm sure some of this will be more obvious to me on the morning of the swim, but I thought I'd try to get a heads up from those of you that have done this before.

Thanks.
Mike

Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-07 12:41 PM
2013-06-07 12:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

They do! When you pick up your packet, you'll also grab a white trash bag (or it'll be in your packet), and you'll tag the bag with your number and your name. They'll then have an area where you can drop your bag off, and they take it to the finish. Once you finish the race, stuff your face with as much fruit, sandwiches, Muscle Milk and donuts as you can (I'll be the chick by the sandwiches just shoveling everything in), and then just walk along where the tents are on the left, and there'll be a big area with all the bags, sorted by number.

It's seriously such an easy-going and seamless process. I thought it'd be a total cluster F when I first did the swim, but it was amazingly organized and awesome.

Originally posted by MFConlon

might be a stupid question but, obviously you don't wear your wetsuit in the bus ride over. How do your clothes or other gear get back to the marina, do they have bags tagged with your bib number that you pick up later? I didnt see anything mentioned in all the instructions.

Edited by BostonSwim41 2013-06-07 12:41 PM
2013-06-07 12:40 PM

User image

It's weird to say, but the Bay Swim is some of the calmest water, wave-wise, that I've ever swam in. The current can be somewhat of a pain, but nothing that can't be handled, and usually, it's only in one specific spot (usually after mile 1, it pulls a bit to the right).

The water will be totally warm enough. We'll all be working so hard that even if the water was 60, it'd be fine.

It's awesome to see that the weather gods are smiling on us and it seems we will have a nice day. Hooray!

Originally posted by mdalsey

Thanks for the feedback. Of course I have no idea what the water conditions will really be, but as of right now it looks like we've got a good weather forecast and the water temps look good.

This is a bucket list item for me - I am looking forward to Sunday morning!

2013-06-07 9:08 PM
in reply to: BostonSwim41

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
BostonSwim41 (aka #221) -

Thank you so much for the info - this is all extremely helpful for a first timer! I never would have thought to pack some (ok, most) of the things you listed.

Have a great swim everyone!
2013-06-09 5:47 PM

Veteran
Roanoke, VA
What a great day on the Bay! Curious what everyone thought about the race today. I didn't encounter any current at all until near the end, but I wasn't sure if it was really a current, or I was just tired. I felt like I was being pulled to the right a little bit as we neared the other side.

This was my first one - I hope to be back again. Thanks for all the great advice that was posted here.

Mike
2013-06-10 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yep, pretty good current at the end, the longer one was out there, the stronger it got.

My first Bay swim as well. Although it was fun, I probably won't repeat. It's a pricey swim, and to be honest, I found the course a bit boring. Not much challenge once you get between the spans--just head east.
2013-06-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: TriBee

User image

Regular
Newport News
Yes it was strong , They pulled me shy of the 4 mile mark. I think it toot me over an hour to get there from the last food/water stop, I was tacking like a sail boat to stay between the bridges. Oh well there's always next time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - 4.4 Mile : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2