United States
23F / -5C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 30m 49s
Overall Rank = 5/16
Age Group = 35-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Watch lake Superior get angry with the morning wind. Ate an apple and some peanutbutter for lunch. Race start was 1:10pm. so eating was a little dicey.
Event warmup:

Get out of the warm up bus and stand at the start line till they yelled GO!
Run
  • 2h 30m 49s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to hit one aid station and run 10 minute miles. I have virtually no experience on snow shoes so I had almost no idea what to expect. I run about 8:50/mile on the trail in the winter for 9 miles so I figured I'd add some time with the shoes on. I ran pretty good the first 4 or 5 miles then the guts broke loose and I had to hit the porta potty. According to my garmin I was doing good, but dying while I ran the two mile to hit the porta potty at the half way point. Thankfully I did great after I got rid of whatever was in me making my stomach hurt. One tip....Don't try to go number 2 in a small porta potty with your snow shoes still on. It's tough.
After the potty incedent. I felt great and cought 4 other runners to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Pace a little better. I went out a little quick, but overall I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
Post race
Warm down:

Lay on the floor of the NMU Dome. I was smoked. I drank some chicken noodle broth after the race and that was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience.

Event comments:

This is not on a lot of people's to do lists, but if you have an oppertunity to do it you should. The Noque is known for it's cross country ski trails, but they are great for snowshoeing also. The race was hard, but that is why we do these things for the challenge. The volunteers were first class. I got a cool bib, snow hat, and cow bell for my efforts which was about right for what I deserve......

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:49 | 14.91 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/16
Performance: Good
Course: Lots of ups and downs. Overall drop in elevation, but it sure doesn't feel like with snow shoes on.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes