Cure Autism Now Foundation
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 33h 43m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up & dressed, coffee & toast - wait, out of bread... Oh Noes!! Had cereal instead and crossed my fingers that it wouldn't come back to haunt me. Slight challenge getting to the race site since the beltway exit for that road has been closed for the past month, but I still got there with plenty of time for packet pickup and such.
Event warmup:

Walking around and some stretching and watching the group warmup. :) (Come on, it's me we're talking about.) Some local politicians came out and talked as well, at least one of them was actually running today.
Run
  • 33m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a nice way to kick off the day. The charity benefiting from the run is Cure Autism Now - they raised over $141K with this event - not too bad!

Seeded myself at the back as usual and finally the gun went off about 8:10. Seemed to take at least the first 1/4 mile for things to shake out - lots of bumping and tripping over each other at the beginning - mildly annoying but no big deal in the end.

The course runs through a neighborhood in Potomac, MD. There is no blunter way to say it - this is where the rich folks live. It's really pretty, no cookie cutter McMansions here. Lots of different houses to look at along the way. First mile was fairly uneventful, but it just seemed to keep getting warmer & warmer. Just after the first mile, all of a sudden a couple guys come running from the opposite direction like their shorts are on fire. All of us slow folks are to the right and they're coming down on our right and we nearly get mowed over. Someone realized they were the leaders coming *back* - so we're hollering to everyone behind us to get to the left to get out of their way.

Right around mile 1.5, someone was either doing a backyard pancake breakfast or I was having olfactory hallucinations, but all I could smell was maple syrup. Now, I love a good pancake breakfast, but at the time, it really did NOT smell good at all. Fortunately, we passed through that area fairly quickly and finally hit the water stop near mile 2. I wish they'd had it a little closer to the halfway point with the heat, but at least it was there!

I slowed down a LOT on the third mile. I was just plain old HOT. Fortunately, some of the residents had been kind enough to put out the sprinklers in their front yards, and let me tell you - that sure felt good. I was still maintaining an overall sub 11 pace so I was happy. I would like some award for restraint at the 2.5 mile mark where I passed someone who was giving his son (not even 10 years old) a hard time about his running form. Way to suck the joy out of it. I couldn't help but entertain a passing thought of an unforuntate incident resulting in his being tackled and ending up in someone's yard, but I resisted.

Came up on the mile 3 mark and the volunteers are telling us it's all downhill - AND THEY'RE RIGHT! Seriously, there was a short, flat stretch right after the milepoint and then totally downhill. What a fun way to finish - you can let gravity take over! Couldn't help but totally kick it into high gear for that and passed at least 3 people on that last .1 mile.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing - I really enjoyed myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and walked around for a couple minutes, then went and cheered in the rest of the folks.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat probably didn't help a whole lot, but I don't know if I can really blame it, I'm kinda slow to begin with. :)

Event comments:

It's a good 5K that goes through a nice neighborhood. Plenty of volunteers and the course was well marked. Lots of food at the finish, including pizza.

Last updated: 2006-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:43 | 03.11 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
1 - 10:17; 2 - 10:30; 3 - 12:05; 3.1 - 0:50
Course: A few hills, nothing devastating. Goes through a very nice neighborhood, finish is on a downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-04 9:53 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Cure Autism Now - 5K

2006-07-04 4:09 PM
in reply to: #473376

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: RE: Cure Autism Now - 5K
Nice Job! You have my permission on the "unfortunate incident" leaving the "bossy" father laying in a front yard. What a way to drive a kid to the couch. Get rested up for your next one!
2006-07-04 4:42 PM
in reply to: #473572

User image

Elite

hikergerb - 2006-07-04 5:09 PM Nice Job! You have my permission on the "unfortunate incident" leaving the "bossy" father laying in a front yard. What a way to drive a kid to the couch. Get rested up for your next one!

Yeah, it just blew me away, but at least it was the exception. There were lots of little kids running in that fantastic "I'm being chased by a monster" mode that is just so cute. It was so great when I went back to cheer them in to watch their eyes light up when I told them they were just about there and it was all downhill for real. It's funny how quickly even the little ones had figured out "the volunteers will say anything to keep me going, but the lady with the number just actually did it and knows it's really downhill"

2006-07-04 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Cindy,

Great race, especially in the heat.  I would've needed double body glide if I raced today.  You shouldn't have checked the annoying Dad, he deserved a "Bodycheck".    A great way to live up to the screen name.  I'm sure that you had your normal big smile at the finish.  Congratulations.

Ernie 

2006-07-04 5:19 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Sounds like a great time... I would have diverted for pancakes. I'm getting hungry just thinking about PANCAKES....
2006-07-04 7:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-07-04 7:50 PM

Master
Tampa, Fl
Great race today!!  I've been looking for a race for autism close to me. Keep up the great work.
2006-07-04 10:25 PM

Sweet run today!  I felt like we were at the same race.  Check out my RR.  The one thing that's not in my report is that we all went home and had blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup and bacon!
2006-07-05 8:47 AM

Expert
Northern VA

Nice race! I knew that I should have brought my BT shirt to this race and tried to find others. I found and decided to do this race at the last moment.

It was hot, even early that morning! I was completely soaked with sweat just from the warm ups.

I also had a great time cheering on the kids in this race. A couple of really young ones finished with amazing times. I missed the pancake smell on the course. Probably a good thing, I was hungry and that would have pushed me over the edge.

2006-07-05 9:57 AM
in reply to: #473937

Elite
rollinsw - 2006-07-05 9:47 AM

Nice race! I knew that I should have brought my BT shirt to this race and tried to find others. I found and decided to do this race at the last moment.

It was hot, even early that morning! I was completely soaked with sweat just from the warm ups.

I also had a great time cheering on the kids in this race. A couple of really young ones finished with amazing times. I missed the pancake smell on the course. Probably a good thing, I was hungry and that would have pushed me over the edge.

I flaked and forgot to paste on the BT tat before I left the house, so I would have been hard to find anyway.

I'm glad to hear someone else thought it was hot, too! I always wonder if it's just me. I'm still thinking the syrup smell was an olfactory hallucination....

I was talking to someone after the race and his little nephew finished in around 24:00. Crazy fast.

2006-07-05 12:33 PM

Champion
MA

Sweet Race!

Nice sub 11 pace in the hot weather!

Sounds like an interesting course...pancakes smell, beautiful houses, nasty parent, and honest volunteers (downhill from here)!

Congrats on great race and thanks for a fun RR!

2006-07-07 8:34 PM

Regular
Great work on the RR. I smiled the whole way through it. I too raced a 5k to get one last workout before this weekends tri. Look forward to meeting you this weekend.

Bill
2006-07-09 7:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Good race and report!  Pizza at the end of a 5k?  That would be like heaven!  (Well after cooling down a little from the hot temps.    )
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cure Autism Now - 5K Rss Feed