General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivational help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-07 10:39 AM

User image

Subject: Motivational help
Ever since I both finished the ironman and came out as transgender my will to not just compete but to train and complete races has diminished to almost zero. This past week I worked out only once and I'm simply not caring about training. I'm still wanting to compete in triathlon but just can't find any motivation to t train especially since I really hate this cold weather. I need some help finding the will to train especially since my first race is June 9th! My goal for it is just to have fun and finish, I want to be really able to compete come August and maybe finish another Ironman next year.

2013-03-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4650145

Subject: RE: Motivational help

I usually get motivated looking at my times and saying, Ill be X min faster next time. Ill try to beat my friend in this race etc. I have short and long goals like:

5k in 18:xx in a couple of months.

70.3 in sub 5 in July

Doesn't have to be a PR but it has to be something that you can do and want to do...

2013-03-07 10:47 AM

User image

Master
I'm with you on the lack of motivation in the cold weather.  I've been trying to keep busy with other things such as hiking and yoga.  As long as you are doing something, the s/b/r bug should come back with the warmer temps.
2013-03-07 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Watch some competitions.  Volunteer at the next opportunity and feel the energy.  Go to your race, suck from not training, look at the results, and decide then if you want to do tris.
2013-03-07 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

I can understand a dip in motivation after completing the Ironman, after training and working for a long time, completing your goal your body and mental state are probably ready for a break.  How long since you completed the Ironman?

As for coming out as transgender, my first reaction was what on earth does that have to do with it, good on you an' all but how does that affect your training desire.....

but, let me ask, have you been able to make lifestyle/behavioral changes that previously you could not?  Have you changed your daily/weekly routines in any way because you can now be who you are?  But also on this side, I'm guessing it was a big emotional and mental event in your life, we have limited ability to dedicate emotional and mental resource.  Serious training takes both, it's ok to take a mental break from training to live life for a bit.

Motivation comes from many sources and in many forms, each person can find motivation in different ways.

Some of my "go to" motivational things:

> Showing my kids that hard work and dedication pay off

> Being physically and mentally able to do things others cannot for whatever reason, I don't take for granted my good fortune and use it to benefit others where possible.

> Knowing I am improving my chances of not being DFL in a race :-

> Selfishness - yep it's true, I am selfish at times in my training, it's ME time, I enjoy having my time with no-one else around and I will go and train to get that me time.

>follow on from Selfish - If I train hard and often I can justify the new running shoes/camelbak/bike wheels/ etc etc.

> If I train I can eat more of my wife's homemade chocolate and strawberry muffins :-) this is particularly motivational, let me tell you!!

If I'm finding it really hard to get my backside out of bed at 4 in the morning to go run, I'll think about how good I will feel and hour or so after I start when I'm back in the house, run done, making breakfast for the family to wake up to.  that's a good feeling that comes from getting my butt going early!

I don't get motivated by some coach screaming and yelling, never have, not even in my military days.  I don't find the chance of a podium finish motivation, I don't get motivated by the need to have the "summer body" some will  get motivated by these things I guess.

find your "thing".  What got you through your previous training?  The desire to complete the Ironman?  well, set a new goal.  Do a multi-day, do an Ultra.  Change the training up, go to spin classes, masters swim or something you have to sign up to and join a group.

I doubt your training "mojo" is gone, just temporarily misplaced. 

2013-03-07 12:01 PM

User image

I finished Ironman Lake Placid back in July 22nd and as for coming out it gave me a peace of mind because I've been using triathlon to spend my energies elsewhere so I didn't have to focus on a then uncomfortable issue at hand. Now I'm finding I need to find new motivation, to base it purely on passion rather than as a distraction. Right now I just want to complete races and do what it takes just simply to finish in my early season. I also did find that when the weather did get a bit warm to bike outside I was out there for well over an hour just enjoying myself so there is some good hope. So far my motivation is being a bit forced but on the good side of today i managed to do a 20 minute spin on the trainer at least.

2013-03-07 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Perhaps the energy spent coming out has left you feeling a bit exhausted? I remember when I (finally) came out as a dyke all I wanted to do was sleep for a week. It just drained me mentally. I gave up alot to be true to-a wonderful, kind boyfriend, my bio family, my security-whuich at times left me sad and angry. Some people are energized after they come out, I went the other way.

Be extra kind to yourself. Maybe buy a new piece of gear, download new music, train without a watch and no expectations for a bit.
2013-03-07 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4650375

User image

Perhaps, i got a lot going on not just with coming out but with school and work. I should just take it easy.Guess I'm just too mentally tired from everything to really care about working out. I should just go with the flow, relax and have some me time with training.
2013-03-07 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4650393

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

evb4mvp - 2013-03-07 1:31 PM Perhaps, i got a lot going on not just with coming out but with school and work. I should just take it easy.Guess I'm just too mentally tired from everything to really care about working out. I should just go with the flow, relax and have some me time with training.

This; or you could just HTFU and get your arse off the couch and out the door.  Sometimes giving yourself a kick in the butt is necessary.  Just sayin'

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivational help Rss Feed