Mater Dei School
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 18m 47s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 19-30
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Worst race experience I've had. The weather was terrible, pouring rain and thunderstorms, but thats uncontrollable.

What I'm most disappointed with was an announcement at 7:55am declaring a later start at 8:30 (instead of 8:00), and suggesting everyone grab a dry spot. I went to my car. The next thing I know, I see runners heading down one of the side streets. Despite the announcement, they started the race at 8:05, without any further announcing. Rach and I started about 6 minutes after everyone and spent the entire time dodging walkers and slow runners. Pissed.

Secondly, the race distance itself was a quarter of a mile (at least!) short of a 5k. Someone picked up only 2.5 mi on their garmin. Mine was 2.87, but still, crazy short.

Both of these mistakes are unacceptable. I appreciated the option of refunding my money afterwards, which I declined as I was happy to have my money go to the school, but it just kinda pissed me off, as I drove in from KC for a very shitty race experience.

I don't recommend this race and won't be back in the future.
Event warmup:

1 mi warmup with rach.
Run
  • 18m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out way too hard, averaged a 5:45/mi pace after the first mile after being so pissed about the race start, quickly realized I wasn't about to decend from there....
What would you do differently?:

Smart pacing, but that had more to do with the race start itself. I was pretty happy with my pace, though, despite the thunderstorm rain and my overall fitness for March.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain, poor pacing,

Event comments:

You get what you pay for...

Cheap race in Topeka benefiting my grade school. Had to do it. Very thankful to the volunteers standing out in the POURING rain and the organized pancake breakfast afterwards. But very poorly ran race, very unorganized, and the course itself was .25 miles short of a 5k, which is unacceptable. I understand that this is a small and somewhat uncompetitive race, but I was expecting at least a correct distance. Very disappointed, I won't be back to do this, and will not recommend it to others...

Last updated: 2013-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:47 | 03.11 miles | 06m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
NOT an applicable 5k distance....
Course: Around the capitol in Topeka
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: