2013-03-21 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4668308

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: The Bible on History Channel

GomesBolt - 2013-03-20 10:29 PM 

Generally not good news???

Mary is told she'll be the mother of the Son of God. Not good news for an unmarried Jewish girl, but she knew it was good news.

Joseph was reassured by an angel that Mary was with child by the Holy Spirit. "That's good news, I thought she got it on with that dude from the smoothee stand."

Zachariah is told that after all these years he'll have a son and he will be great (John the Baptist). That's good news for an old dude and his wife who haven't had kids.

If anything, most of the time it's good news. But it involves people having to trust God in an extreme way and that's why he sent an angel instead of just giving them a hint.

"Good news" is a matter of perspective. "Hey, I know you are an unmarried girl who according to the social rules needs to be a virgin at marriage lest you be stoned to death, but guess what - you're pregnant! He's going to save us all" Mary:" You mean he will get the Romans off our lands?" "Well, no, actually, he is going to die a horriblely painful and humiliating death at their hands at a relatively young age. But in a couple hundred years, people will start to REALLY be thinking about it. And then the main base of operations will be moved from Jerusalem to Rome - you know, where the people who are oppressing you now are based. Oh, and for a long time, everyone will hate the jews. No, I mean even more than they do now."

Yep, "good news".

2013-03-21 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4668498

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

gearboy - Yep, "good news".

The cry, "I bring you good news!" was understood to mean that the news was from the king.
That's how the people then would have understood it.
It was a phrased used by every king, temporal or otherwise. 

Christ is the king who established the Kingdom of Heaven.

Yes, good news indeed.  

Edited by dontracy 2013-03-21 9:43 AM
2013-03-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4668717

User image

Pro
dontracy - 2013-03-21 10:42 AM

The cry, "I bring you good news!" was understood to mean that the news was from the king.

Yes, good news indeed.  

Again - "good news" for whom? The king's idea of good news (or the boss's, for that matter) does not always mean "good news" for the serf and employees. "Good news everybody! We have decided to raise an army/restructure your department/build a freeway in your backyard!"

As a member of the tribes of Israel, you'll forgive me for not seeing the "kingdom of christ" as necessarily "good news" for my peoples. Inquisitions, pogroms, holocaust...not so much "good news" for us.Surprised

2013-03-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4668728

User image

gearboy - 2013-03-21 10:48 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

Again - "good news" for whom? The king's idea of good news (or the boss's, for that matter) does not always mean "good news" for the serf and employees. "Good news everybody! We have decided to raise an army/restructure your department/build a freeway in your backyard!"

As a member of the tribes of Israel, you'll forgive me for not seeing the "kingdom of christ" as necessarily "good news" for my peoples. Inquisitions, pogroms, holocaust...not so much "good news" for us.Surprised

Another way of putting it, someone announcing, "I bring you good news!" was saying that they were bringing word from the king.  It was a way to get people's attention so that they understood that the news was from the king.

2013-03-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4668746

User image

Champion
SoCal
dontracy - 2013-03-21 7:59 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

Another way of putting it, someone announcing, "I bring you good news!" was saying that they were bringing word from the king.  It was a way to get people's attention so that they understood that the news was from the king.

The term 40 days and 40 nights was a literary term used in other texts of the time to mean a long time like somone might use forever and a day now but people still believe it to be an actual 40 days and 40 nights. Just like how many people take all the text as facts when in fact a lot of it has terminology and slang of the day.

2013-03-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4668746

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
dontracy - 2013-03-21 9:59 AM 

What king?  We don't have a king!

Edited by sesh 2013-03-21 10:21 AM

2013-03-21 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4668774

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Big Appa - 2013-03-21 10:15 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

The term 40 days and 40 nights was a literary term used in other texts of the time to mean a long time like somone might use forever and a day now but people still believe it to be an actual 40 days and 40 nights. Just like how many people take all the text as facts when in fact a lot of it has terminology and slang of the day.

Interesting, I have never heard that before. Where did you get this from?

2013-03-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4668787

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
sesh - 2013-03-21 10:21 AM
dontracy - 2013-03-21 9:59 AM 

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. 

2013-03-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4668787

User image

sesh - 2

We Christians know we have a king, but this is a king like no other. He comes as a poor tiny baby, and dies the death of a criminal. In the end though, he establishes his kingdom and then triumphs over death itself.

I bring you the gospel, I bring you good news, death is no more!

2013-03-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4668825

User image

Champion
SoCal
jford2309 - 2013-03-21 8:36 AM
Big Appa - 2013-03-21 10:15 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

Interesting, I have never heard that before. Where did you get this from?

History channel on stories of the bible but here is a page that explains it.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/08/the-biblical-expression-40-days-and-40-nights-just-means-a-really-long-time/

2013-03-21 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4668728

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
gearboy - 2013-03-21 9:48 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

Inquisitions- Guilty.  The Catholic Church was wrong in doing that. 

Pogroms- Not Christians who did that.

Holocaust- Nazi leadership (and in-particular those directing the holocaust) were practicers of the occult. 

On the other hand, The United States and Britain in 1947 supported the creation of a Jewish State (Israel) which returned your homeland after 1877 years of being exiled.  Both of those governments were run at that time by pretty devout Christians who understand that you don't mess with God's people and those who bless Israel shall be blessed.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-03-21 11:46 AM

2013-03-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4668972

User image

Pro

GomesBolt - 2013-03-21 12:44 PM

The term is used both specifically to refer to the russian pogroms, but also as a general term describing similar attacks elsewhere. And the russians were at least nominally christian. I had originally written "passion plays", but I changed it. The passion plays had the effect of putting the blame for Jesus's death squarely on the jews, giving people a common enemy (i.e. my people) to focus on. It is, in a de facto way, the result of proclaiming a christian kingdom on earth - one where the enemy of christ must be destroyed. And who on earth is more of an enemy than the people who killed your leader?

Holocaust- Nazi leadership (and in-particular those directing the holocaust) were practicers of the occult. 

On the other hand, The United States and Britain in 1947 supported the creation of a Jewish State (Israel) which returned your homeland after 1877 years of being exiled.  Both of those governments were run at that time by pretty devout Christians who understand that you don't mess with God's people and those who bless Israel shall be blessed.

The Nazis took advantage of the antisemitism that was rampant in Europe as a result of the point I made above. So not directed by the church, but also not condemned. As for America's role, I read recently some things about Roosevelt's role as the leader of the US that makes him/us rather culpable for a number of those 6 million deaths. And there are a lot of "devout Christians" that have a generally negative view of my peoples. My parents (so, not that long ago) lost out on jobs because they were jews and not christians - not as bad as being tortured or killed, but not very "christian" of people to pass over potential employees based on religious beliefs...

I'm going to step out of this thread at this point - my original post was of a more snarky nature, and I am starting now to get actually riled up. 

2013-03-27 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4668972

Extreme Veteran
GomesBolt - 2013-03-21 12:44 PM
gearboy - 2013-03-21 9:48 AM

Yes, good news indeed.  

You seriously need to read more. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Bible on History Channel Rss Feed  

of 2