Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Bible on History Channel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-03-19 7:59 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: The Bible on History Channel
The premiere of this series was the most watched Cable TV show this year and was just behind "The Walking Dead" this Sunday so obviously some of you are watching it.

My take it is that it is really good, but they really go out of their way to add action scenes with crazy sword-wielding. I wondered how you could keep action scenes going into the Jesus story and they managed to do it.

That said, I think it's good because it tells some of the key stories that people don't know. It leaves out several stories as well that would be crucial to understanding (Joseph and Pharaoh, Gideon, Ruth, Solomon, a whole show on Paul which they don't look like they'll do) but I also understand the producers had to fight to tell the story of Jesus in the first place. The producers seem to have fought a lot of influences to film the show in the first place.

Anyone else have some thoughts on the show to share?

2013-03-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4665686

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: The Bible on History Channel
I haven't watched any yet, but we are recording the series.  You didn't put spoiler alert in the title - someone will be upset.
2013-03-19 8:48 AM

User image

Expert

They say the devil looks like Obama

What's up with that?

2013-03-19 8:54 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Me and my family make it a point to sit down and watch it together. It has led to some great conversation between my wife and I and out kids. I understand they can not ad everything in the Bible to the show, but there were some chapters I would like to have seen visually!

Overall, I think it is great and something we look forward to every week!

2013-03-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4665761

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
KateTri1 - 2013-03-19 9:48 AM

I always thought it was the other way around...

2013-03-19 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4665761

User image

KateTri1 - 2013-03-19 8:48 AM

What's up with that?

Coincidence.  Just because I think Joseph Ratzinger bore a slight resemblance to Emperor Palpatine doesn't mean Benedict XVI was a Sith Lord.

Although, if President Obama sports a black hoodie thirty years from now, he'll probably look just like that actor.  Especially with the disgusted look on his face.

Edited by Hook'em 2013-03-19 9:21 AM

2013-03-19 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4665807

User image

Hook'em - 2013-03-19 9:17 AM
KateTri1 - 2013-03-19 8:48 AM

What's up with that?

Coincidence.  Just because I think Joseph Ratzinger bore a slight resemblance to Emperor Palpatine doesn't mean Benedict XVI was a Sith Lord.

Although, if President Obama sports a black hoodie thirty years from now, he'll probably look just like that actor.  Especially with the disgusted look on his face.

I watched that episode and didn't think that at all.  I thought it was going to rile some feathers if they used a black man so it was interesting that they used a man whose skin was silver-colored. The producers said they picked this guy because he's a very notable Moroccan actor who has played roles in several biblical dramas and has played Satan before Obama was ever elected.  It's an explanation.  I don't think it follows with Burnett's political leanings to make a statement against Obama. 

The Angels in the red cloaks are always kinda strange to me. If you notice, in the bible anytime an angel appears the first thing they say is "Don't be afraid."  I'm guessing that's because Angels are pretty scary looking, probably not handsome dudes in red cloaks wearing armor and probably not naked babies with harps.

Race in a show like this is a tricky thing. Pharaoh was by all accounts in history of darker skin.  Hagar (Ishmael's Father, Sarah's handmaiden) was also Egyptian.  But you can't present all bad characters one way and all good ones another way lest you detract from the point of the story.  

Samson was of the Tribe of Dan, so probably not black, but I liked the way they used the actor and his mother in that episode.

That said, I think the casting in the show has been very good.  Jesus is really tall which follows some of the accounts.  Peter seems a little on the light side to me.  Every depiction I've ever seen of him has been a rather large man (Jesus' nickname for him was Rocky because he was built like a rock, he was at times dumb like a rock, his real name was Simon).

As you look at it, they managed to put a lot of great unknown actors but who have memorable faces into good spots to tell the story.  Abraham, David, Saul, Joshua were all very good.  I think Moses was probably one of the weaker actors.  

2013-03-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4665749

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

Hook'em - 2013-03-19 9:42 AM I haven't watched any yet, but we are recording the series.  You didn't put spoiler alert in the title - someone will be upset.

Can there really be spoilers in a mini series based on the most published book of all time?

2013-03-19 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4665985

User image

Elite
Boise
Sous - 2013-03-19 9:53 AM

Hook'em - 2013-03-19 9:42 AM I haven't watched any yet, but we are recording the series.  You didn't put spoiler alert in the title - someone will be upset.

Can there really be spoilers in a mini series based on the most published book of all time?

Spoiler Alert!!

Jesus is actually the son of God!!!

Water. Bam. Wine.

2013-03-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4666013

User image

JoshR - 2013-03-19 11:02 AM
Sous - 2013-03-19 9:53 AM

Spoiler Alert!!

Jesus is actually the son of God!!!

Water. Bam. Wine.

That makes me think of Jack Black as Jesus:

"Oh no, we only have 2 fish and 5 loaves... Or Do We?!?!? Pow!"

Opportunity missed on the casting call...

2013-03-19 11:29 AM

User image

Regular

I have been watching and I really enjoy it. However, I would have preferred
they made the "Bible" the new series and "Vikings" as the min-series.

Both are well done. I just dont have that much intrest in Vikings.

2013-03-19 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4665875

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
GomesBolt - 2013-03-19 11:00 AM 

The Angels in the red cloaks are always kinda strange to me. If you notice, in the bible anytime an angel appears the first thing they say is "Don't be afraid."  I'm guessing that's because Angels are pretty scary looking, probably not handsome dudes in red cloaks wearing armor and probably not naked babies with harps.

Yeah, a handsome guy in a red cloak and armor or naked babies with harps appearing out of nowhere aren't scary at all...

Coincidentally, today at lunch I overheard a couple of people discussing this show.

2013-03-19 11:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I think this show is quite well done; not being a very religious person (i.e. not at all) I am more interested in it for "story" sake. As an anthro geek, I find it pretty interesting in a cultural study type of manner too.

I also like the show "Vikings", but more as a guilty pleasure....Laughing

2013-03-20 9:44 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

My wife's been watching it "religiously" (ba dum pum).

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it, but I have caught some interesting scenes.  The ninja angels were the bomb.  I definitely want to be one of those when I get to heaven.

2013-03-20 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4667412

Master
Memphis, TN
tuwood - 2013-03-20 9:44 AM

My wife's been watching it "religiously" (ba dum pum).

I haven't been paying a lot of attention to it, but I have caught some interesting scenes.  The ninja angels were the bomb.  I definitely want to be one of those when I get to heaven.

Jet Li as an Angel 

2013-03-20 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Spoiler alert:

Jesus rises from the dead!!

2013-03-20 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4666318

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
mrbbrad - 2013-03-19 2:24 PM

Yeah, a handsome guy in a red cloak and armor or naked babies with harps appearing out of nowhere aren't scary at all...

Coincidentally, today at lunch I overheard a couple of people discussing this show.

I'm not watching the show, but to the point of angels being frightening figures - I think there are several reasons to warn someone "Don't be afraid". First is the issue of someone showing up out of nowhere - that's no different than being in your living room and someone unexpected coming out of the kitchen when you thought you were alone.

Second, they are generally showing up with a message from God - and usually it's not great news. You're kicked out of Eden, I'm going to flood the world, you need to kill your only child. If the company you work for had a guy whose job was to go around telling people they are fired, wouldn't you be sacred if he showed up at your cubicle?

Finally everyone seems to forget that the angels and demons are one and the same - that demons are just angels that sided with the most beloved angel who wanted to challenge God, and got banished. So if they are the same creatures, just having been on different sides, I would imagine that they are all rather frightening to look upon. They are creatures of great power, and as the only things that can gaze upon the face of God, must be a mite awe-inspiring in their own right. Sort of like how your friend might have a pet tiger - it might be "tame" and harmless, but I am still not going to be putting any part of my body in reach of its claws or mouth, thankyouverymuch.

2013-03-20 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dothan

My family is enjoying the show, and I pray it is exposing more people to the Christian faith!

2013-03-20 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
I'm glad it's not on TLC. They'd all live in trailers, be little people and have 21 kids.
2013-03-20 7:46 PM
in reply to: #4667868

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
gearboy - 2013-03-20 2:44 PM

I'm not watching the show, but to the point of angels being frightening figures - I think there are several reasons to warn someone "Don't be afraid". First is the issue of someone showing up out of nowhere - that's no different than being in your living room and someone unexpected coming out of the kitchen when you thought you were alone.

Second, they are generally showing up with a message from God - and usually it's not great news. You're kicked out of Eden, I'm going to flood the world, you need to kill your only child. If the company you work for had a guy whose job was to go around telling people they are fired, wouldn't you be sacred if he showed up at your cubicle?

Finally everyone seems to forget that the angels and demons are one and the same - that demons are just angels that sided with the most beloved angel who wanted to challenge God, and got banished. So if they are the same creatures, just having been on different sides, I would imagine that they are all rather frightening to look upon. They are creatures of great power, and as the only things that can gaze upon the face of God, must be a mite awe-inspiring in their own right. Sort of like how your friend might have a pet tiger - it might be "tame" and harmless, but I am still not going to be putting any part of my body in reach of its claws or mouth, thankyouverymuch.

You know, it's really hard to find flaw in your argument.  lol

2013-03-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4667868

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
gearboy - 2013-03-20 3:44 PM

My first sermon in a congregation fell on St. Michael and all Angels. I talked about the "do not be afraid" with angels, and their intense scary presence. How almost all the imagery we use for angels now is post-Biblical, and based on recent art. Ad probably the worst thing ever is a precious moments angel. I'll just say it got reactions.

2013-03-20 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4668139

User image

pitt83 - 2013-03-20 5:55 PM I'm glad it's not on TLC. They'd all live in trailers, be little people and have 21 kids.

21 kids isn't very many for the old testament - there was much begattin' going on.

2013-03-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4668264

User image

Hook'em - 2013-03-20 8:38 PM

pitt83 - 2013-03-20 5:55 PM I'm glad it's not on TLC. They'd all live in trailers, be little people and have 21 kids.

21 kids isn't very many for the old testament - there was much begattin' going on.

Good one...

2013-03-20 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4668263

User image

TheClaaaw - 2013-03-20 8:35 PM
gearboy - 2013-03-20 3:44 PM

My first sermon in a congregation fell on St. Michael and all Angels. I talked about the "do not be afraid" with angels, and their intense scary presence. How almost all the imagery we use for angels now is post-Biblical, and based on recent art. Ad probably the worst thing ever is a precious moments angel. I'll just say it got reactions.

You know, I've given it some thought and I thing Brad is right. They could've been dudes in armor and red cloaks. After all, they kind of look like Romans which would've been a very frightening sight to an Israelite in those days.

I think the most powerful image so far was that of toddler Jesus riding by looking at the crucifixions and Mary trying to cover his eyes and he kind of just pulls away to look again. After all, he was aware of his destiny even as baby Jesus. Could you imagine how hard of a job that would've been to raise a kid that already knew it all.

2013-03-20 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4668215

User image

tuwood - 2013-03-20 7:46 PM
gearboy - 2013-03-20 2:44 PM

You know, it's really hard to find flaw in your argument.  lol

Generally not good news???

Mary is told she'll be the mother of the Son of God. Not good news for an unmarried Jewish girl, but she knew it was good news.

Joseph was reassured by an angel that Mary was with child by the Holy Spirit. "That's good news, I thought she got it on with that dude from the smoothee stand."

Zachariah is told that after all these years he'll have a son and he will be great (John the Baptist). That's good news for an old dude and his wife who haven't had kids.

If anything, most of the time it's good news. But it involves people having to trust God in an extreme way and that's why he sent an angel instead of just giving them a hint.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » The Bible on History Channel Rss Feed  

of 2