General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars on road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-21 6:45 PM

User image

Subject: Aero bars on road bike
I'll be attempting my first IM this year and only have a road bike, unfortunately I'm not in a position to buy a tri bike and was questioning if its worth putting aero bars onto my ride bike. If I do, do I need to readjust my road bike positioning ?

2013-03-21 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4669652

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Aero bars on road bike

I know many people that started off in triathlon this way, and I had aero bars on my road bike for a while.  It'll help you get into a more aero position and is more comfortable than racing in the drops.

I've got my Profile Design T2+ Cobra (carbon) aero bars on craigslist for a steal of a price, as I did eventually get a tri bike. PM me if you are interested.

2013-03-21 7:55 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

yes lots of people do this.

I did this early on as well, and liked the setup. Although I will say its a compromise, because the geometry of the road frame isn't that of a TT bike.

I used the Profile Design T2+ and they worked nicely.

you can approximate it with moving the seat forward, possibly getting a seat post called "fast Forward" by Profile Design. This will help get a better aero position.

You will be better off getting a fitting on this, but that's up to you.

2013-03-21 7:58 PM

New user

it is my first year of tris so i am using clip on aero bars. i use deda parabolic bars and love them! they are extremely adjustable so it is easy to get a really comfortable position.

i recommend you get a bike fitting after you get aero bars, the position is quite different. i had a fitting where my bars were dropped down about 15mm and the stem shortened by 10mm, my seat came forward about 50mm and up about 10mm. so it is a more 'compact' position than when i had it fitted for road riding.

before the fitting i couldn't get comfortable in the aero bars, i was too stretched out and needed my core to hold me in place. now i feel like i am resting my upper body when i am down on the bars.

2013-03-30 11:05 AM

User image

New user

I've put clip-on aero bars onto my road bike for my first Ironman later this year (Ironman Wales). I did get a bike fit but they didn't change too much although I wasn't to know that before I went in so I still think it's a good idea to get a fit done. I've been using them on the turbo trainer for the past month or two and I'm certainly getting used to them. 

I'd still buy a TT bike if I had the money though...Frown

http://chasethepotato.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/fit-for-purpose/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars on road bike Rss Feed