Trivium Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 41s
Overall Rank = 10/21
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

I had originally registered to run the Wrightsville Beach Marathon this weekend, but started to have some hip flexor/groin pain about 5 weeks out. It persisted, and I decided to take a break from running to let it heal. This resulted in my missing my 19 and 20 mile training runs, which would have been essential to finish in the time I wanted. I was spending a lot of time on the bike though, and made the decision to scrap the marathon plans and register for a du instead. I found this race in Greensboro, and thought is sounded fun and challenging.

On race day, I slept in. The race start wasn't until 10AM, and I woke up feeling great. I ate the normal prerace breakfast andmloaded the car. We drove to Grandover, and I got my packet and started getting ready.
Event warmup:

15 min ride on the trainer in the big ring. Easy effort just to loosen up the legs.
Run
  • 20m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt great. I hit right wear I wanted to time-wise. Fastest 5K in over a year.
What would you do differently?:

I warmed up a little early, and my legs felt slightly heavy. Maybe just keep my warm up closer to the start.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

No complaints here. I'm not used to a run-bike T1, so it was different, but speed was fine. I need to work more on mounting though.

Just work on mounting a little more.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 53s
  • 30.75 miles
  • 20.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit the bike hard, and immediately started passing people. I may have gone out too hard, because a few of them passed me back. I ride pretty well on the up hills. That's typically wear I catch people, but for some odd reason they always get away from me on the downhills and flats. This happened a couple times in the race, with the same guy. I hit the downhills hard. I don't hold back, but he was riding a TT bike and I'm on a road bike still, so maybe that's the issue. Felt good on both laps, and came into T2 feeling strong.

Train more on the bike. Work more on flat ground speed and descending. Keep saving money for a TT bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Worst T2 of my life. I pulled my feet out as I approached transition, and got one of my feet caught on the tounge of the shoe. It almost stopped me completely, and I'm lucky I didn't fall over. I made it to the dismount line, and a shoe popped off. I had to turn around and pick it up before entering transition. I was so pissed. I put my bike down as quick as possible, dropped my helmet pulled on my shoes and ran out of transition fuming.

I purchased new pedals and shoes months ago, but I have been lazy and not put them on yet. They are Tri specific shoes, which would have probably prevented the T2 disaster that occurred. This is also the first race of the season, so I'm a little rusty. Practice, practice, practice.
Run
  • 49m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off strong, but faded around mile 3. The second lap was brutal. Really slow pace. Unacceptable for wear my run should be.

Run! I had to take time off from the run while I healed, and it definitely made a difference. Time to get back out there and run.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Sat with Emily and my parents, who had come to the race. Drank and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough of a run base due to the injury. I was a noob at Duathlon. I also put in a pretty full week before the race, training-wise. I'm sure I was tired. This was a tune-up race. Now I know where I'm lacking, and will make the appropriate adjustments.

Event comments:

Good race. Could be better, but it's in it's first year. There was nothing to keep people around, so those of us racing the long-course came in to an almost empty parking lot. I may try to race the whole series next year.

Last updated: 2013-02-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:07 | 03.11 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 8/21
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course through a subdivision behind the Grandover offices.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:31:53 | 30.75 miles | 20.08 mile/hr
Overall: 10/21
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two laps of a lollipop course on country roads near Grandover. Lots of hills, and some rough pavement. One long section of rough pavement where I couldn't ride in aero.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:19 | 06.21 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 11/21
Performance: Below average
Course: Lollipop with two loops of the pop. Hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes