Cooper Fitness Center at Craig Ranch
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 27m 43s
Overall Rank = 41/52
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Race was reasonably close, so I got up, had a couple of English muffins and then watched the weather - it was cold and looked like it might rain....

I went simple on transition set up - was wearing what I was going to bike in - wind breaker and insulated turtleneck and nylon sweat pants - cuz it was cold and might be damp. I put bike shoes in plastic grocery bag and running shoes, hat, etc in another. Everything else was hanging on the aerobars. Stripped down to tri shorts, grabbed goggles and headed for the heated gym for the pre-race meeting
Event warmup:

Does chattering teeth and jumping up and down count? If not, then nothing...
Swim
  • 00m
  • 383 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

about 25 swimmers into the race, they pulled everyone out of the pool due to lightening in the area. About a minute after they made the announcement a huge clap of thunder kinda hurried the last of those that got in the pool back into the gym.... we went into wait and see mode. After about 30 or 45 minutes afterwards the scrapped the swim and said that we were would make it a duathalon.
What would you do differently?:

maybe get in the water?
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 kinda happened anyway... they told everyone they could go into transition to get some clothes to stay warm in... I was just about first out the door and first back into the gym... I calling it 1st in my age group... :)
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

We waited for the downpour to stop for another 30 minutes. The organizers came back over the PA and announced that there was too much standing water on the course and the roads were not going to be safe due to the turns on the course... so they cancelled the ride... looks like we got us a good ol' fashioned 5k folks....

Maybe get and turn the cranks....
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I kinda did my own T2 - I ran out and grabbed my bike and took it back to my car before the run... I was trying to dodge rain drops - does that count?
Run
  • 27m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

They lined the 50 of us up that were still around (I was thinking I would easily score a podium spot since I didn't see but a couple of other possible clydes - its kinda fun to guess age on the big guys and weight on the age groupers to figure out how to watch the field.)

Mass start and the group went out fast.. I fought the urge to go fast at first, figuring that I would just try to keep increasing my pace every mile. There was a kinda big guy in front of me with a 58 on his calf - hmmm could be competition for my over 40 clyde self... I tried to make sure I kept it close to him and stayed 15-20 yds behind him for most of the race. On the first of two little uphill sections, I blew my motor and slowed down to a walk for a 50 yds and watched him pull away. On the second up hill, he did the same, so I was able to close back to within a dozen yards. The last half mile or so was down hill, so I just focused on stretching our my stride and let gravity help me. I slowly closed the distance. Around the final turn, he was still a few feet in front of me so I tried to put on a final kick and passed him with about 50 yds to go...

Nothing at all... I was within 30 seconds of my 5k PR on a hillier course and without a lot of run training! I'll take it....
Post race
Warm down:

Bent over double trying to breathe.... walked around a bit waited to see posted results - looks like my thought of placing in the clyde division due to so many people leaving was for naught - they just placed everyone in age groups....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to keep on training.... still got beat by a 13 y/o girl.... they are the bane of my racing...

Event comments:

Hard to rate the race due to the weather issues. Very nice facility and they seemed pretty organized. I will try another of their races this summer or fall, as they have three different ones on this course and it is close to home!

Last updated: 2013-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 383 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/52
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Kinda a double out and back through a neighborhood and an undeveloped area
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-03-26 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: Cooper Sprint Triathlon

2013-03-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4674621

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Cooper Sprint Triathlon
You're a better man than I!  When it became just a 5K, I called it a day to save myself for Sunday's half marathon.  It definitely stinks when Mother Nature doesn't cooperate, but there's not much you can do.
2013-03-26 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Great report! Stinks about the weather, but you kept your sense of humor!

And, really!  a 27 minute tri!!  Wow!   Just need to put the * near your results somewhere.....Wink

2013-03-26 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job Andy!  You took Lemons and made Lemonade. 
2013-03-26 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Nice job on the 5K Andy!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cooper Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed