General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Mini Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Mini Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 59s
Overall Rank = 5/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

I live in Tucson and drive up to Phoenix for the triathlons. This was no exception. I found a cheap hotel close to the airport and drove about 30 minutes to the JCC. It was cold, I mean COLD. The wind was strong and it didn't help that the air temp was almost freezing.

I was one of the first people there and I got a great spot. The in-out was the same and some late comers got stuck way towards the back. No fun. After I set up I went and drank coffe. I was so cold I almost couldn't function.
Event warmup:

I walked/jogged around and jumped in place a lot. I was really cold, and I didn't want to just sit in my car in case I missed an anouncement. About 15 minutes before transition was about to close some guy had come and shoved his bike in a 1 foot space on the rack I was on. The ones of us who got there early were considerate of each other and had made just enough room so the early risers would be rewarded as such. So this guy come sand shoves his bike in there, knocking over other people's stuff. We couldn't find who it was so one of the guys went and talked to the race director. They brought out another stand that was even better located than the first one. Three of us carefully moved some of the bikes, like the guy on the very end, we didn't think it would be right for his to get stuck in the middle when he obviously woke up early enough to get the end on the very first rack. So we moved his to the new end, and put all his stuff how he had it. We did the same for the other bikes too, we all kept our spot, we just moved down, of course except for the guy who just shoved his bike in there. A few other people saw the new better spots too and in about 5 minutes the rack was packed again.

To top it all off, 5 minutes before transition closed 3 adults and their kid, who I recognized from other tris (they are all very good and win regularly) can and shoved 4 more bikes onto the rack, moving people's stuff so they could make room. I was very angry. I knew nothing would be done about it though because I know they know the race director. Very frustrating that they think they can do that just because they win a lot. They were laughing too at how other people set up their transition. Very disappointing to see that behavior in adults, very poor sportsmanship.
Swim
  • 05m 11s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was so warm. It felt good because I was very cold. I knew getting out of the pool was going to be aweful...and it was. I passed a couple people, and I liked that we started with our age group so I could see who was around me. I still haven't mastered the swimming part. I am a very good swimmer and somehow I always get done with the swim and I feel like I haven't put in any effort. I need to go faster, but not so fast that I am exhausted for the rest of the tri.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to join a master's group. Unfortunatly in Tucson there aren't too many options and they are all very far away from me.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Included in the bike time, but I estimated my T1 to be 1:00. The shock from getting out of the water into the cold air took my breath away. I thought about drying off but decided against it, and then I considered putting on my longsleeve shirt, but I decided last minute not to. It saved me a lot of transition time.

Practice more, and learn to do a flying mount.
Bike
  • 34m 18s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind. I can't even describe the wind. First it was cold. I heard later that even after the air temp warmed up to 45, with the windchill it was 34. The route was a big square and the first stretch heading North had a strong crosswind, I was afraid to ride areo because the gusts made me feel like I was going to get knocked over! The 2nd stretch was the longest with a wicked head wind. Normally I can easily maintain a 18-20mph pace, but on this stretch I was struggling to even maintain 15-16mph! The 3rd stretch was a bit better, it was another strong crosswind but the buildings kept it down a bit, still a struggle. The last stretch before doing the last 2 laps was better, there was still a little crosswind, but for the most part it was much better, it was also a false flat. If there was no wind I know I could have knocked 4 minutes off my time.

Not sure. Train in more wind?
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Included in bike time, but I think it was around 30 seconds.

Nothing, it went smooth.
Run
  • 19m 57s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I started the run I knew it would be bad, I must have done something on the bike because my hip was hurting, also, the wind was terrible. I felt like I wasn't going anywhere. It was miserable. On the plus side it was finally warming up to a managable level. After I rounded the light pole signaling the turn around I realized that it was a slight uphill on the way back. UGH! On my run back I could see some people in my age group coming. I tried picking up my pace a bit to make sure I stayed far enough ahead. For the final 10 meters I mustered the energy to sprint across the line. Running is my weakest, still. I have been running more but I don't seem to be improving like I would like. I know I can do better I just have to run more.

I was one of the slowest people on the run, and the girl in my age group who beat me was not with us in the pool. She must have registered late and started towards the back of the pack. I wish I would have pushed the run from the beginning and not waited until the last 1/2 mile. I think I could have made up the time and won 4th overall and my age group.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a little and then went and put my warm clothes on. It was still cold, but not nearly as bad as the morning. I went to look at the results when they were posted and I saw I was 5th overall, but I wasn't sure if that would hold up because of the 15 second gaps at the start.

I went and got a free massage at the booth. It was just what I needed.

My goal for the race was to go under an hour. If it weren't for the darn wind I would have easily made it. Next time I guess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, hip, and my poor running.

Event comments:

Overall, I like the tri-family races. My only complaint is that they call this a Mini (250 yrd, 9.5 miles, 2 miles) but they also call the Seville race a Mini (150 yrd, 10.4 miles, .5 mile) but the Maxi at Seville is 300 yrd, 15.4, 2 mile. I wish it was more consistant for the distances.

Last updated: 2013-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:11 | 250 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 9/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 25yrd pool serpentine swim. 15 second intervals.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:18 | 9.5 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 4/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Flat with a couple big pot holes.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:57 | 02 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 19/
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat (mostly) out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-02 3:22 PM

Subject: JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Mini Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » JCC Scottsdale Spring Sprint Triathlon - Mini Triathlon Rss Feed