New Zealand
http://www.northlandtri.co.nz/
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 43s
Overall Rank = 25/56
Age Group = M Open
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

2 pieces of avocado on toast and a coffee for breakfast. On the road by 7. Arrived at the race site about 8am, in the pouring rain. Luckily the weather cleared reasonably soon after arrival. Watched the kids race, and the short course start before finally starting at 10am.
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim. Started to the side, but closer to the front than usual. For the first half of the first leg I was beside my friend Decke, but he then started to fall behind. Was in a small group of 3-4 swimmers for most of the course, so drafting was probably good. With the water so clear, navigation was easy. Only negative was a girl on the inside of me got lost on the final leg back in to the beach, and pushed me off course. I had to slow to go behind her to get back on track.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was very happy with today's swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

The low lake made for a 100m or so run to transition, so added a bit to the time. Wetsuit was half off before arriving at the bike. But I felt I was a bit lethargic here, didn't have my usual urgency getting the bike gear on.

More urgency.

Bike
  • 51m 10s
  • 21 kms
  • 24.63 km/hr
Comments:

I'm very happy with how my bike went today. It took 5 min or so to get into my work, but once settled I was able to maintain a nice hard effort on the flats, and spun my way up the hills. I had a good battle with Decke on the ride, he caught me 6km into the ride and we spent the rest of the ride changing places. He was faster in the hills, I was faster on the flats. The only negative is I was quite conservative going down the hills. I think this was partially because I am still down on confidence after the crash at Maraetai, and partially as I continue to get used to the handling of the new bike. Also, up the steepest climb I ran out of gears. This could be a problem in the northern crossing, so I will be getting a new cassette before then. In the last 2km of the ride I lost a little time to Decke, as I backed off to give my legs a pre run rest.

Over all I wouldn't change much. Other than being more aggressive down the hills, and having an extra gear for climbs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s

Better than T1. Gained a bit of time here.

Run
  • 55m 38s
  • 8.8 kms
  • 06m 19s  min/km
Comments:

As soon as I started the run, I knew that today wasn't going to be my day. I had nothing in my legs, and any little bit of running form was gone by the top of the first climb (which I, and most, walked anyway). I tried to make the best of it, and kept up a jog for the duration (other than walking the 2nd steep climb) but overall was disappointed with how things went. I overtook nobody on the run, and lost at least 6-7 places.

I'm not really sure what went wrong. I'm assuming that it's just a bit of fatigue I was feeling, I had no taper or anything for this race as it is not a goal race. I think a good taper would have improved my performance Also I'm not running enough. I've been doing 25-30km/week recently I should be up doing 35+ before I run well... I know this from previous experience.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

3 main things come to mind,

1. I'm to heavy. On a hilly course like this that really expresses itself.
2. No taper, it wasn't a goal race, but I did nothing to try and peak in the slightest. If I had focused more on this race in the last 2 weeks I would have had a better day.
3. Run more. 35-40km/week an I will run better. I need to spend the next few weeks building up my run volume again.

Event comments:

This is the hardest triathlon course I have done, but nice relaxed atmosphere which I do enjoy. I'll be back again and get that 2 hour mark next year.

Last updated: 2013-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 750 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/56
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Northland's been having a drought. So unsurprisingly the lake was lower than in previous years. Started with an ankle deep splash out to the deep water, about 300m straight out to buoy 1, 150m accross, and then 300m back to the beach. This lake is beautiful clean, clear water. Honestly, it's like swimming in a pool it's so clear. You can see the bottom almost the whole way around.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:10 | 21 kms | 24.63 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 21km out and back. Quite hilly, 300m climbing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:38 | 08.8 kms | 06m 19s  min/km
Performance: Below average
Course: Senic run around the lake. Very steep hill to start the run, then an off road trail run around the lake for about 5km. Finishes with a run along the road back to transition
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-07 4:21 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: Carters Kumara Triathlon

2013-04-08 1:04 AM
in reply to: #4689823

User image

Auckland , New Zealand
Subject: RE: Carters Kumara Triathlon

Great effort, I will have to do that event next year.

I recon easing off the training before an event really helps a lot, I didn't realise how beaten up I get from training and it seems to really take the edge off for a race.

Good luck for your next one, you doing mission bay ?

2013-04-13 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4690787

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Carters Kumara Triathlon

I'd definitely recommend it, it's a great event. They also run a sprint in mangawhai which i missed this year which is worth the drive up. 

Yup I'll be doing the sprint at mission bay, I've slipped a bit since Ironman Auckland, and I'm not really feeling I'm in good enough shape to do justice to an olympic. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carters Kumara Triathlon Rss Feed