Overall Rank = 117/164
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/17
Run
  • 29m 9s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

First run felt pretty good, a bit fast maybe but overall didn't feel bad at all. The second climb was a bit of a bear but really enjoyed this one.
What would you do differently?:

Might try to hold back a little bit more, especially early on.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Pretty easy transition. Didn't try jumping on the bike or any of that, since I've never practiced it.

For this race, not much I really could do different.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 35s
  • 22.35 miles
  • 17.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt very good on the bike. Started slow, picked up speed after a few miles. Passed a bunch of people up until almost the end of the ride. There was a very fun downhill at mile 21 - followed quickly by a brutal climb, probably the hardest part of the course. Quick turn back into the park after the top of the hill and back into the transition area.

Stronger ride than I was expecting. Was planning for 90 minutes, and finished 12 minutes quicker.

While I drank plenty for the ride, I think I overdid it at the very end and it affected my second run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Didn't even try jumping off the bike (again, haven't practiced this skill yet) Somebody parked their bike on top of some of my stuff, so I had to wriggle around that a bit.

Realized on the run that I'd forgotten to remove my bike jersey, which I didn't need anymore as temps had climbed.

I thought I'd positioned my gear in a decent spot, however I still had a bike in the way when I got back.
Run
  • 35m 40s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

First thing I noticed was I still had my bike jersey on over top of my tech shirt, so I was warming up pretty quickly. Second was a bit of nausea as I was going down the first decent. These combined, I ended up walking during this part of the race, in particular the two steep climbs. By mile 2 the nausea went away and I was feeling a bit better, and after topping the last hill I felt like my legs were finally under me for a stronger effort to the finish.

Need to get better at running off of the bike. I think the little experience I had wasn't enough to have me comfortable on race day.
Post race
Event comments:

Two drink stations on the run, but have to self support on the bike.

Post race included awards presentations, as well as (free to athletes) pork bbg and a nice spread of food to go with it.

Last updated: 2013-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:09 | 03.2 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 134/164
Performance: Good
Lap 1 - 8:41 Lap 2 - 9:15 Lap 3 - 9:27 Lap 4 - 2:10 Avg HR - 176bpm
Course: Starts heads off to a long steep downhill, followed quickly by a steep climb just before mile 1, levels out to a gradual decent until mile 2.5, with another steep climb at 2.5, and then level until the finish. Road conditions were pretty good in the park. My Garmin measured the course .1 longer than a 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:18:35 | 22.35 miles | 17.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 93/164
Performance: Good
HR averaged 174 bpm
Wind: Some
Course: Moderate downhill out of the plantation, and then country roads around Surry County. Roads were in mostly good condition, I think I only saw one or two potholes the entire time. Brutal climb just before the end (for a flatlander like me anyway)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average