General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-08 1:57 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon : Official Thread

So, I'm signed up for this race and unfortunately I'm just now looking into hotels and of course, everything nearby the race start/finish is sold out, so I have to look a bit further away.

So, my question is: does anybody know what race day parking is like down there?  Would I have a problem staying 15 miles away (or, at the airport hotel) and then driving in race morning?  I'd imagine that it should be fine, but if anyone has any info or details on where to park down there, how early I should plan to get down there to find a spot, etc..  that'd be awesome.  Thanks!!

2013-04-09 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4691797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon : Official Thread

Hey Chris!

Parking on race day is actually not too bad because they open up a lot of the parking garages and other parking areas like they would for a Reds or Bengals game. As long as you don't mind paying outrageous prices (10-20$) you will have no problem finding parking and there are even shuttles for some of the parking areas that are further away. We would recommend that you leave yourself about 90 minutes. Remember we'll have a Team RWB Tent to hang out at prior to the race as well so even if you have some spare time you can meet up with all of us, drop your gear at the team tent etc. Dean (Dayton/Cinci Chapter Captain) said your best bet would be to try and find one of the hotels over by the airport over on the Kentucky side (generally there is less traffic coming from that direction -just FYI) since you can't get a room downtown or in Newport across the river. Looking forward to seeing/meeting you!

2013-04-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4692696

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Awesome, thanks!!

Looking forward to it.... although, I just looked at the course profile for the first time yesterday, and the elevation gain is looking a little daunting  It should be fun!

Looking forward to meeting all of ya!

2013-04-16 10:03 AM

My wife and I are also running the Flying Pig Half.  This will be my second time running this race, I ran the first time in 2010, and my wife's first time on this race.  We went out and ran the hill and most of the rest of the course last weekend.  My experience has been that the hill isn't as bad as it looks so long as you don't push too hard.  During the race I just kept moving along up the hill and it was over sooner than I expected.  Though it is a hill if you push too hard going up I can see how you could blow up on it.

One thing that I will warn you about is the downhill portion.  I absolutely love running downhill so the first time I did this course I pushed pretty hard on that down hill.  Well there is just enough flat and very slight uphill portions of the course after the downhill that if you push too hard you will feel it coming in to the finish.  At least that was my experience.

As far as parking I like to park farther away from the race site in downtown and walk 10-15 minutes.  I do the thanksgiving race most years which has 17000 runners and it can get a little hectic with traffic and parking.  WIth fewer runners the pig is a little better but I'm sure there will be some traffic you'll just need to be patient.  This year we have the option of parking at my wife's work for free up on 7th street so we may walk a little further 15-20 minutes and save our selves the hassle.  

2013-04-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4692696

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
twinklebug - 2013-04-09 8:48 AM

Hey Chris!

Parking on race day is actually not too bad because they open up a lot of the parking garages and other parking areas like they would for a Reds or Bengals game. As long as you don't mind paying outrageous prices (10-20$) you will have no problem finding parking and there are even shuttles for some of the parking areas that are further away. We would recommend that you leave yourself about 90 minutes. Remember we'll have a Team RWB Tent to hang out at prior to the race as well so even if you have some spare time you can meet up with all of us, drop your gear at the team tent etc. Dean (Dayton/Cinci Chapter Captain) said your best bet would be to try and find one of the hotels over by the airport over on the Kentucky side (generally there is less traffic coming from that direction -just FYI) since you can't get a room downtown or in Newport across the river. Looking forward to seeing/meeting you!

Cincy person here and will be running in the Half.. I look forward to swinging by your team tent to meet a fellow BTer!

2013-04-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4702650

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I don't know why, perhaps because it's a Road Trip as well as a race, but I'm getting pretty stoked about this one.

Looking forward to seeing everyone, and excited to be part of a large RWB turnout!

2013-04-29 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
We'll see you there, Chris!  We're staying at my in-laws in Mason, so we'll have a bit of a drive...  see you there!
2013-04-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4719158

User image

Elite
Cleveland

sungirl919 - 2013-04-29 1:07 PM We'll see you there, Chris!  We're staying at my in-laws in Mason, so we'll have a bit of a drive...  see you there!

Groovy!  I'm staying at the Airport Hilton.  Driving down early afternoon on Saturday so that I can do packet pickup and all that.

2013-05-01 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
I am also in for Flying Pig, although only the half.  In preparation for Ironman CDA in June.  Gonna test the legs and see what I can do for a half.  I have been working with a great group including an "unofficial" coach that has a goal set for me.  If I can meet it I will be really stoked.  Crushed the 5K he set me up for last weekend, so looking to do the same in Cinci!
2013-05-01 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Just checked the weather, looks like there is a 40% chance of rain. All of the New's stations are call for rain in the morning.
2013-05-01 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4722071

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Ugh, I hope that they're wrong.  Soggy shoes suck.

Plan for extra body glide on the toes, I guess

2013-05-03 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4722298

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I hate to say it, but I've had to cancel my trip, so I won't be running this weekend

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed