General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swiming issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-09 4:25 AM

User image

Auckland , New Zealand
Subject: Open water swiming issues

I've had a real issue with swimming at some events and couldn't really figure out why my swim times really drop off at times.

In the pool I can swim 2:00 100's and if I really push it 1:55.  In the wet suit I can swim 2:00/100's open water. But couple of events i dropped to 2:34 (cross harbour swim, really rough) and 2:13 for my 70.3( a bit choppy) when I was swimming well in the pool at that time.

What really showed was the last event , where I swam 28:54 (PB) for 1500, and I haven't really been in the pool for about 6 weeks , week before the event was swimming 2:07 in the pool.  The difference was the water was dead flat. It seems that as soon as the water gets even a little rough my times go south.

Any suggestions. It's driving me nuts.

2013-04-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4692578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Open water swiming issues
Less glide and a slightly higher stroke rate should help in choppy water. Do you feel like you can't maintain momentum in those conditions?
2013-04-09 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: RE: Open water swiming issues

I think you're comparing apples to figs here.  Pool times are completely different that open water times.  You have the push off the wall in the pool, plus smoother water, etc. 

And then comparing different courses with different conditions in the open water is another animal that is hard to quantify in itself. 

As long as you consistently see a downward drop in swim times overall, you're doing something right. 

I base mine on feel...how did I feel during the swim and after, moreso than time.

2013-04-09 4:50 PM

User image

Auckland , New Zealand
Subject: RE: Open water swimming issues

Thanks for the replies:

I tried the higher stroke rate for a couple of weeks and struggled to maintain any sort of rhythm and seem to end up with a dog paddle stroke. Everything that I've read says that good swimmers up their stroke rate in the open water , so I know that it is something that I need to work on.

In terms of feel in the water, when it's rough it's like my legs are going in a different direction to my upper body and I really stuggle to swim in a straight line so I spend a lot of time trying to balance myself in the water.  I get pushed around a lot by the water.

2013-04-09 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4693855

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Open water swimming issues
mike9521 - 2013-04-09 8:50 PM

In terms of feel in the water, when it's rough it's like my legs are going in a different direction to my upper body and I really stuggle to swim in a straight line so I spend a lot of time trying to balance myself in the water.  I get pushed around a lot by the water.

I do most of my swimming in the ocean and I get that feeling of my body getting going in all different directions too. Sometimes the swells are so big I get the front end and the back end of my body lifted higher than the rest. It's pretty neat, actually. I've stopped really worrying about the time in the open water. It's so different from swim to swim depending on the conditions.

Edited by Blanda 2013-04-09 6:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swiming issues Rss Feed