General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Allergic Reaction? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-12 11:35 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Allergic Reaction?

Last night, in an effort to spend some time with my girlfriend's family, I postponed my easy run until after dinner, around 9:00 pm.  I planned to give myself a couple hours after dinner and head down to their basement to use their treadmill for a 30 minute run.

That all went according to plan; however, with about 10 minutes left in my run my lips started to feel tingly.  I chalked it up to something else in my mind for the remaining 10 minutes.  When I was done I sat down on the floor and began to notice my face felt really tight.  I grabbed some Benedryl and immediately popped two.  I went upstairs to look in the bathroom mirror and my nose and lips had swollen to about the level of clown face.  My entire body was bright red and had little bumps everwhere.  I began to freak out a bit.  Okay a lot.

I took a cold shower after the benedryl, I don't know why, maybe hoping to clean any allergens off of me.  It took about 45 minutes for my face swelling to go down and another 2 hours until my body was no longer red, blotchy and itchy.

The only three things I can imagine having caused this was Taco Pizza, Sushi and my first time using body glide for chafing on my legs.

Has anyone else ever experienced this torture?  Did I proceed with the correct treatment, just in case it happens again?  Any sleuths want to guess at the cuase? Any advice, suggestions, witty responses?

2013-04-12 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4697928

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Subject: RE: Allergic Reaction?

My bet is on the sushi.

2013-04-12 11:43 AM

User image

My office starts up in about 10 minutes, so maybe I'll see one more patient before I start!

Clearly it was an allergic reaction, for sure.  The timing, edema (swelling) and the rash all consistent with an allergic reaction.  Most likely something in the food, although always a chance no matter where you look you may not find the culprit.  

Antihistamines, H1 blockade (benadryl, claritin, allegra, reactin - all Canadian names, may be different in US) are first line options.  Addition benefit from prednisone and H2 blockage - Zantac and Pepcid, often used for reflux and GERD. 

What to do now?

1) Stop eating whatever you ate last night

2) Consider allergy testing to identify culpirt

3) Watch for recurrent, have benadryl handy

If all else fails, come online to BT and create a post!

Disclaimer, this is online so of course please be assessed appropriately by a physician in your area.  For all you know I'm just some crazy triathlete.  

Jason

2013-04-12 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4697941

User image

Champion
Jpro19 - 2013-04-12 12:43 PM

My office starts up in about 10 minutes, so maybe I'll see one more patient before I start!

Clearly it was an allergic reaction, for sure.  The timing, edema (swelling) and the rash all consistent with an allergic reaction.  Most likely something in the food, although always a chance no matter where you look you may not find the culprit.  

Antihistamines, H1 blockade (benadryl, claritin, allegra, reactin - all Canadian names, may be different in US) are first line options.  Addition benefit from prednisone and H2 blockage - Zantac and Pepcid, often used for reflux and GERD. 

What to do now?

1) Stop eating whatever you ate last night

2) Consider allergy testing to identify culpirt

3) Watch for recurrent, have benadryl handy

If all else fails, come online to BT and create a post!

Disclaimer, this is online so of course please be assessed appropriately by a physician in your area.  For all you know I'm just some crazy triathlete.  

Jason

This is not mutually exclusive to that being good advice!

2013-04-12 11:56 AM

User image

New user

Things never change, I can always trust someone on here will know what the heck is going on.

Who needs Doctors, Lawyers or Accountants when you have BT.

Thank you.

Edited by Hasher 2013-04-12 11:57 AM
2013-04-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4697940

User image

Regular
trinnas - 2013-04-12 11:41 AM

My bet is on the sushi.

+1

I had a very similar reaction to fish once (and only once...it was a bass that I had caught).

2013-04-12 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Madrid
I doubt seriously it has anything to do with the sushi. Its called food dependent exercise induced anaphylactic shock. You could eat the same exact foods and not exercise and highly probably not experience any reaction. You could even eat the same foods and exercise and may not experience a reaction. The irregularity of the reaction is what makes it nearly impossible to isolate. You would have to be getting tested during the reaction to be able to identify the allergic ingredient. I've experienced the same thing about a half dozen times. The good thing is as you describe it, it comes on gradually, not all at once. Stop what you're doing immediately. You should probably carry an antihistamine with you at all times possibly even an epi pen. Another tricky part to this is what constitutes exercise ? Sometimes it can be induced by as little as a walk after eating. Its not very common and not many people ever get to the point where they figure it out. If you google it you'll find some more info on it. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to go into greater detail about what I've learned. Bottom line though is I would strongly recommend not doing any exercise for at least 2 hours after eating anything. 
2013-04-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4698107

User image

Champion

gr33n - 2013-04-12 2:27 PM I doubt seriously it has anything to do with the sushi. Its called food dependent exercise induced anaphylactic shock. You could eat the same exact foods and not exercise and highly probably not experience any reaction. You could even eat the same foods and exercise and may not experience a reaction. The irregularity of the reaction is what makes it nearly impossible to isolate. You would have to be getting tested during the reaction to be able to identify the allergic ingredient. I've experienced the same thing about a half dozen times. The good thing is as you describe it, it comes on gradually, not all at once. Stop what you're doing immediately. You should probably carry an antihistamine with you at all times possibly even an epi pen. Another tricky part to this is what constitutes exercise ? Sometimes it can be induced by as little as a walk after eating. Its not very common and not many people ever get to the point where they figure it out. If you google it you'll find some more info on it. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to go into greater detail about what I've learned. Bottom line though is I would strongly recommend not doing any exercise for at least 2 hours after eating anything. 

Fascinating I didn't know that happened!  Thanks!

2013-04-12 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Its very bizarre to say the least. My guess would be its something in the pizza dough that triggered the reaction. The first time it happened to me I actually lost consciousness for about 20 minutes. To say it itches is the understatement of the year. It itches so bad you want to tear your skin off. 
2013-04-12 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4698153

User image

Champion

gr33n - 2013-04-12 2:45 PM Its very bizarre to say the least. My guess would be its something in the pizza dough that triggered the reaction. The first time it happened to me I actually lost consciousness for about 20 minutes. To say it itches is the understatement of the year. It itches so bad you want to tear your skin off. 

It's would be interesting to know the mechanism of action by which the exercise leads to an inflammatory response to an ingested antigen.

2013-04-12 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

2013-04-12 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4698107

User image

New user

gr33n - 2013-04-12 1:27 PM I doubt seriously it has anything to do with the sushi. Its called food dependent exercise induced anaphylactic shock. You could eat the same exact foods and not exercise and highly probably not experience any reaction. You could even eat the same foods and exercise and may not experience a reaction. The irregularity of the reaction is what makes it nearly impossible to isolate. You would have to be getting tested during the reaction to be able to identify the allergic ingredient. I've experienced the same thing about a half dozen times. The good thing is as you describe it, it comes on gradually, not all at once. Stop what you're doing immediately. You should probably carry an antihistamine with you at all times possibly even an epi pen. Another tricky part to this is what constitutes exercise ? Sometimes it can be induced by as little as a walk after eating. Its not very common and not many people ever get to the point where they figure it out. If you google it you'll find some more info on it. Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to go into greater detail about what I've learned. Bottom line though is I would strongly recommend not doing any exercise for at least 2 hours after eating anything. 

Thank you! In fact, this is the second time this has happened to me.  Another a long time ago, also after eating dinner.  Both of the food I consumed beforehand had been foods I'd eaten before, just not prior to exercise.  So that makes perfectly good sense.  I will definitely be carrying meds with me for the next few runs, and will discontinue working out after eating.  I will probably contact my allergy doctor as well, just to keep him informed.  I'm glad I posted here, and thank you to everyone who responded. 

2013-04-12 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4698165

User image

Regular
Madrid
trinnas - 2013-04-12 8:53 PM

gr33n - 2013-04-12 2:45 PM Its very bizarre to say the least. My guess would be its something in the pizza dough that triggered the reaction. The first time it happened to me I actually lost consciousness for about 20 minutes. To say it itches is the understatement of the year. It itches so bad you want to tear your skin off. 

It's would be interesting to know the mechanism of action by which the exercise leads to an inflammatory response to an ingested antigen.

Yeah that I couldn't tell you. It took me a while to figure it out. The first time I was taken by ambulance to a hospital. They couldn't find anything so chalked it up to exertion and let me go. The second time same deal. E.R. all sorts of tests from heart to brain scans- Nothing. Only after that did one of the doctors suggest it was an allergic reaction. Problem was it was unidentifiable. I actually stopped exercising for about 2 years thinking I might die if I did. Gradually I started to learn more about it and the solution was idiotically simple. Don't eat before exercising. The remaining few episodes I had were less severe and fortunately less frequent, that occurred as I mentioned earlier not after exercise but just simply walking for an extended period after eating. The other good thing that I have noticed is it tends to diminish with age. Anyhow I'm sure this is way more than anyone wants to know about this. Good luck with it and seriously to the OP if you want please fell free to contact me.

2013-04-12 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I have the same after-excercise allergy, but mine is to lentils. No food allergies ever prior to finding this out. Definitely go see a doc.
2013-04-12 3:01 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA

Out of fear, I will no longer exercise after eating.  I will just eat and eat and eat.  Oh wait, that's what I do now.  Nevermind.  

That is pretty interesting.  My initial thought would absolutely be allergic reaction to something you ate (and the likely culprit being the sushi).  Never heard of the issue of exercising after eating.  That could be a real bummer if it happened during a race!

Good luck to the OP -- hope it all works out.

2013-04-12 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I would see an allergist.  Allergies like this are nothing to play with.  My son has a severe peanut and tree nut allergy.  As well a shellfish and peas.  If it goes undetected and unknown with the severity of the allergy you could find yourself in a heap of trouble.  It may have not even been the food you ate but something it came in contact with or was processed around.  We carry an epi pen because of this.

Long story short...see a doctor.  It's that important.  Food allergies are no joke.  The allergist can lay you down and give you little prickly tests that will cause a reaction to determine any allergies you have and what they are to.  It's very effective testing.

Edited by Burd 2013-04-12 3:19 PM

2013-04-12 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4697940

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
trinnas - 2013-04-12 11:41 AM

My bet is on the sushi.

+2 or whatever...fish and shellfish are known to be potent allergens

Ha...and idk about that post-exercise crap but I'm no exercise physiologist or MD either so...but I must say a visit to an allergist is probably the best advice...and probably the safest.

2013-04-13 7:32 PM

User image

New user
Green Bay
Dude, you had angioedema and urticaria.  Sometimes it's allergy mediated and sometimes it's not.  Sometimes it's hereditary and sometimes not.  Benadryl is completely appropriate.  It's possible it could be from food, food allergies can give you cramping and diarrhea as well.  There's something else called chinese restaurant syndrome as well but yours sounds like angioedema/urticaria which is leaky capillaries underneath the skin.  It usually resolves spontaneously.  Hope you are feeling ok.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Allergic Reaction? Rss Feed