Georgia Tech Alumni Association
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 53s
Overall Rank = 685/1220
Age Group = 60-69
Age Group Rank = 12/24
Pre-race routine:

I ate a piece of cheese toast, drank some OJ and coffee. It was coolish, 49 deg when I got up. I would have worn jogging pants and a long sleeve t-shirt if I had brought them. I was worried mostly about standing around before the race starts.
Event warmup:

None. I just stood around realizing that most people do a race with a group of friends.
Run
  • 31m 55s
  • 3.14 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I have not been running for a while so I just started out slow, then eased up a bit. I chugged along feeling no pain thinking surely I could hang on for 3 miles. What is 3 miles, a decent warmup? Anyway, I was running without a watch so at the first mile I heard 10:31, 32, 33. I thought that sound about right. I saw Janice at about 1.5 miles. She was standing on 4th street across the street from the drunk SAE guy. I was keeping up with the back group ok so I just maintained pace. As I ran down Techwood from the the Teke House to Glenn Dorm, I thought about the time I walked it, just after the cast was cut off my leg in 1972 about this time of year. It was the first time without crutches in 6 months. It was easier today. When I got on Tech Parkway, I saw a guy who looked to be in the 60-65 age group. He was slowing down looking for somebody. I made sure to pass him and then another geezer looking guy. You never know how many people showed up for the geriatric division. You may get a podium spot Anyway, I finished strong, Janice was at the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

I really should have trained some.
Post race
Warm down:

We had to walk past the water and food to get to the car so I picked up a water and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am old and slow.

Event comments:

A trip down memory lane.
Updated with official race results. I actually finished with the 10th best chip time but I started near the back.

Last updated: 2013-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:55 | 03.14 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/1220
Performance:
Course: The course starts at the AE building where my PhD advisor's office and my office was for a few years. Then up Ferst near the Combustion Lab where I spent most of my doctorate time. Then heads around Ferst Avenue in front of the ME building which was my official major department for my PhD. Then the course runs on down 5th Street to the Emerson Cherry Building which was the NE building when I was getting my masters. My office that year was in a building across the street which has been torn down. This building was known as the Snake House because it formerly held the reptile research labs. We were assured that most of the snakes had been found when they moved out. The route then turns on to State Street going past past the Physics Building where I got my undergraduate degree. The route continues on around the lawn in front of the new Undergraduate Learning Commons. That is a new idea. Back in my day, we had to study by huddled in noisy, smelly dorm rooms. The course winds down 4th Street past the fraternity row. There was drunk guy in front of the SAE house. Some things never change. Then turn on Fowler and back to 5th street. The route goes up to 5th to the corner of Techwood where the TKE house stands. I lived there for a few years. Down Techwood past Glenn Dorm where I also lived for a few years to North Avenue. Right on North, past the Bobby Dodd Stadium, past the AE building again to the Tech Parkway which is a joke of a road that goes nowhere. The route takes Means Street to cut back over to tFerst and back down Ferst to the Start/Finish line. A trip down memory lane.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-13 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Pi Mile Road Race 2013

2013-04-13 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4698818

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Pi Mile Road Race 2013

"I should have trained some" what, it's like I wrote this report

Love the course description ... the memory lane ... the race name. Well done, T-Geeze; here's your {MELON SQUEEZE}.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pi Mile Road Race 2013 Rss Feed