39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 39s
Overall Rank = 7/62
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

It was COOOOLD!!
Pre-race was nothing but setting up transition and then getting into the pool area to stay warm.
Swim
  • 09m 57s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race was a few minutes late in getting started, but not horrendously so. I managed to seed myself pretty well, for once. I was only passed once, and about 150 yards later, I re-passed the guy (I think he burned himself up passing me).

Swim time listed is Swim + T1, and I wouldn't be shocked if I took 2.5-3 minutes in T1 slowly putting on all the extra gear.
What would you do differently?:

I simply just need to get into the pool more and train.
This was my first swim since my HIM a full month ago and I could feel it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow T1. It was a short trot from the pool to transition as it was set up right outside the pool area. I took my time and didn't rush too much because I knew that I was giving up all kinds of time to put on extra gear for warmth. Put on skull cap, gloves, a jacket... then slid on the shoes and helmet and trotted out to the mount line. Helmet fought me a little in getting it situated right over top the skull cap, too three attempts to put it on correctly. I didn't run to the line (not far enough to do more than a trot) and I didn't jump on. Stopped and swung the leg over.... at that point, the two seconds I might have saved jumping on seemed meaningless.

Could have maybe sped myself up a bit, but not too much. Had the helmet gone on correctly the first time, it would have saved some time. I did practice putting it on over the skull cap a few times the night before and it was easy in practice.
Bike
  • 37m 35s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

No two ways about it - this bike ride was COLD. The skin on my legs and feet were BRIGHT red when I got to T2.
I passed one guy who had dropped a chain, then about a half mile later he blew past me like I was standing still. I was never passed again, but I passed a lot of the people ahead of me.
I do not think that I consistently pushed myself as much as I should have, but I had totally screwed up the Auto Multisport Mode on the Garmin (again), so I had no idea what my heart rate was, what my cadence or speed was, etc... so, I was simply racing by RPE and I lapsed mentally a few times and didn't push as hard as I could have..... I think I stayed in the "comfortable" zone too much.

I'd like to have gotten my Garmin working right so that I had data on cadence and speed available to me while I was riding.
I need to work on my climbing - a LOT. I'm bigger, so I know that I'm going to be slower on hills, but I need to get stronger in going up them.
I also need to work on staying in the race mentally.... I kinds lapsed a couple of times and didn't constantly push as hard as I should have. I think that having data might have helped me recognize that... maybe?
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Approached the dismount line too slowly... almost stopped 25 meters short of it, lol! Soft pedalled up to it and dismounted. Quick and easy... racked the bike, dropped the helmet and changed the shoes and ran on outta there.

Be more mindful of the dismount line (which was past the mount line) and roll up to it better.
Some day, I'll practice taking my shoes off while still on the bike, too.
Run
  • 20m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This just kinda felt like a hard training run. I had no idea of pace or anything, so I was just going on feel. I might have had a little more in the tank and could have maybe tried to open the stride some more, but I was only passed once on the run and it was by a kid who ended up running a 16:05... so, he was going to pass me no matter what.

Maybe push harder and open the legs up a bit. Again, maybe not screw up the Garmin.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung around the finish to see my friend Glenn finish his first triathlon, then headed off to warmth. Sat in the hot tub in the diving pool area for about a half hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me.

Event comments:

This is a small event - roughly 100-110 people total participated.
It is a well run event, but it could really use some support in the form of more people signing up for it. If they could get 200-250 for this, it'd be awesome.

Last updated: 2013-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:57 | 400 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 19/62
Performance: Average
Time is Swim + T1
Suit: Orca Core Shorts & Top
Course: 400yard swim in a 25 SCY pool, 8 lanes. Serpentine, down and back in each lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:35 | 12.43 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 7/62
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back J-Shaped course with lots of rollers and a couple of small climbs.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:56 | 03.11 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 8/62
Performance: Good
Course: This was a cool, but weird out and back spiral course. On the way out, it continued to spiral inward on the campus and the turnaround was the innermost part of the spiral, then you ran back out to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes