General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Houston Racing Triathlon Club
Total Time = 1h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 126/367
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/23
Pre-race routine:

note: took forever for race results to be reported and there still aren't any bike or t2 splits. i'll add that in if they put it up or if i can find.

woke up with plenty of time so i don't have any reason to give for why i ended up late and literally had to set my transition area up in like 3 minutes with the volunteers shouting in that i needed to get out. my pre-race routine is more like a get-everything-ready-the-night-before routine. good for me this time, otherwise i may have not been able to get into the transition area. so..........none. had a good dinner the night before but arrived at the race having not eaten at all. i tried to stop at a mc'donalds for an english muffin or something but the line wasn't moving and i left.
Event warmup:

i did absolutely no warmup. kelly was there with me and my sister was in town and showed up with her three young sons. they were fascinated with the swim and since my seed time had me starting 308th, i had plenty of time to hang out with them and visit the bathroom a couple times.
Swim
  • 06m 25s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

this was really neat. took the opportunity to watch all the early swimmers. all the anxiety i get from swimming in open water was not even a thought and i was totally confident for the pool. my only bad moment was when i caught up with the person in front of me. i hit his toes twice, once on purpose and once by accident. he had caught up with the person in front of him and i ended up standing up and walking several steps to let them get away a bit. then when we got to the wall they both hung back and let me through. SWEET! i torpedoed under the rope and took off because of course you can't pass two people at once and then swim slow can you? i just put my head down and swam. i didn't catch anyone else until the end, i started swimming more slowly and taking 3 or 4 breaths at the ends of laps. no one was near me from behind so i was able to have what felt like lanes to myself.
What would you do differently?:

i would have given a faster swim time so i would start the race much sooner. i saw people seeded well well ahead of me side and breast stroking and not always because they were trying to stay off the feet of the one in front of them.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

when i got out of the pool i felt a bit winded but i started running anyway and was quite pleased that it worked. i just flew along with baby steps and the legs cooperated. felt cool cause when spectators see you trying hard they seem to whoop and hollar louder. ran down the wrong row and couldn't find my bike which pissed me off, wasted the whole advantage of running. i had to go all the way back around and find it. just grabbed the bike because my shoes were already clipped on (i practiced doing this friday afternoon and it worked really well) and booked it to the mounting area.

i will show up on time so i am better acquainted with the transition area.
Bike
  • 36m 56s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.49 mile/hr
Comments:

i had fun on the bike. i was trying my new putting my shoes on while i ride trick and i think it worked out awsome. i'd thought it through while practicing a few days ago. i would get on and then all wobbly try to put them on. realized then that there wasn't any rush, that as long as i was moving forward i was saving time so i got all the way up to speed and then simply reached down and pulled them on then. i repeated this for the race and it worked out. i caught lots of people and was never passed by one. i did have this one incident with a dog. this course was mostly down a long straight country road. i looked up and there was this medium large dog trotting along the road about 40-50 yards up and he was on a shallow diagonal path that looked like it was gonna put him in right under my wheel and i was not feeling like crashing. my mind was saying "that f*#%er is gonna run out here and finally hear you then flip out and make some weird move and make you crash" and i wasn't having it so i shouted "MOOOOOOOOOVE"!!!!!! that damned dog looked over his shoulder and started hauling ass. he ran across so fast, tail tucked under so far that he could probably see it and into the tall grass on my right and slid under the low wire of a fence. never enen barked. i was happy that i avoided death or at the least a Bobby Julich time trial moment and that i hadn't even had to slow down. i kept it skint back with my pedal to the metal. the dismount was beautiful, only problem was there were two guys that i caught up with right near the end and were in my way. here i was riding in the last 15 yards on one pedal and already stepped over the side and having to navigate too. it was fun though and it felt like it looked really cool (you know how important THAT is).

also, my rear wheel came up about 6-8 inches as soon as i got off but it didn't create a problem. i need to practice that at speed and figure how to make that not happen, i have seen guys fall at the end when their bike flips over while doing that dismount so it must be some common brake thing.

same as before, i would have given a faster swim split. staring so late and with what i now know was a pretty back of pack swim seeding had me pretty far removed from most of the faster guys. i would have liked to do some dueling out there on the road cause i know that would have made me faster. as it is though i think i gave it a pretty good effort, keeping in my mind that the run was coming up and not wanting to risk a blow up.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

found my rack on pretty much the first try but for next race i may count them or something. i was a bit lost because there were no bikes there and that threw me off because there were lots of bikes before but then i realized there were no bikes because everyone was still riding. this was the exact opposite of my first race, when i finished swimming and got to my bike it was easy to find because it was the only one left.

uhhhhhh, send a faster swim split.
Run
  • 29m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

i started off ok and tried to find a pace that suited my legs which were complaining. i am not good on the run and will have to put in some big miles to try and change that. walked a few times, far fewer than in my first race but i still walked and i am not happy about that. i didn't have to walk but i did and i am gonna have to dig deeply into myself and find the strength to just keep going.

find the part of me that gives up and kill it.
Post race
Warm down:

the ice cold towel handed to me at the finish line was AWSOME!! that was the best. my warm down was a walk to the keg where i got a cup of beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my run. it was definately the limiting factor for me today, unlike my first race where i had difficulty in the swim AND the run.

Event comments:

i think HRTC put on a very good race. i will definately do this race again next year.

spent a little time and figured out my rank in each event individually. basically i am HORRIBLE in the run. there is massive room for improvement. there, i said it, now i have to do something about it.

Last updated: 2006-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:25 | 328 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 163/367
Performance: Good
Suit: LG tri shorts
Course: there were six lanes set up, it was up and back, cross under the rope and do it again six times. so....six lanes, two laps each and i loved it.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:56 | 12 miles | 19.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 67/367
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: i quite liked the course. it was out and back. the road was really smooth overall and i didn't pick up any rocks. due to a timing error they reported our times as a total of the bike/T2 time. i don't think i had a really terrible transition but i know my average was way better than 19.5.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:27 | 03 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/23
Overall: 209/367
Performance: Average
Course: the course was easy to follow, a great job by HRTC in putting together a really good couse.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 11:30 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

2006-07-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: #477717

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon
HOOOOOORAY Robert! Sounds like you had a great race! For you to come in in the middle of your age group like this at, what, your second (?) race... when just a few months ago you hadn't tried anything like this at al... just WOW!

And i have to admit, the coolness factor sounds very high. Some of us are just not gifted with a level of coordination to EVER dare the shoes-on-pedals thing, really. The standing dismount... well, maybe next year... you know? Good on you that you've mastered those all-important items already.

Congratulations on your race!
2006-07-10 12:45 PM

Master
Houston

Congratulations!!!!  Great day, great race and great group to hang with and be supported by.  The swim was really something to experience, far less stress than OWS, yet still problematic when you can't get around the person in front.  Oh well, it was fun anyway.  Again, great job!  Wish I could have seen your dismount, I have some serious dismount work to do before I will attempt anything close to that!!

2006-07-10 12:55 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse

find the part of me that gives up and kill it.

SUCK IT UP, BUTTERCUP!

You didn't explain what makes this race "Intergalactic".
2006-07-10 2:27 PM

User image

Houston, TX
first off thanks you guys for the support. i really had a fantastic time yesterday. it was a well put together race and i will do it again.

Jeanette and Celeste, i would be more than honored to show you guys and work with you on doing the running dismount. it takes a bit of practice and coordination but definately NOT HARD. i'm serious, i may be a bit of a daredevil but it took 3-4 practice runs up and down the street and i felt confident enough that it would work in the race. also would give us a reason to get together for a ride, eh?

as for Intergalactic............i have no idea why they call it that, probably something they came up with a long time ago and it stuck. and yes you are right, i just need to suck it up and do it. there is no excuse whatsoever and it sucks that my run time is the difference in finishing 126th instead of something significantly better. or, better put, if i could turn my 9:49 pace into a 7:49 pace, those 6 minutes saved would have meant 65th place instead of 126th.
2006-07-10 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Very nice race my friend!!!!!

Great to hang out with you and Kelly. You need to show me the bike start and stop, I have not even tried yet....

See ya at the next one!!!

2006-07-13 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

GREAT RACE Robert!!!!!!!!  You place nicely!  BE PROUD!!!  And, I ALSO want you to show me your mount/dismount trick!

Thanks for your support at the finish!

See you soon! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed