Lorain, Ohio
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 33s
Overall Rank = 82/121
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Made a decision about 5 days ago to add this tri in as a practice event before the two main ones I was planning this summer. I woke up with a few butterflies, had some scrambled eggs, toast, and an orange. Loaded up the car and drove (about an hour) to the event. Since it was my first tri, I didn't quite know what to expect, but I tried to plan as best I could.
Event warmup:

Got to the event, set up transition, got marked. Gawked at all the other setups and had serious bike envy. Did a quick jog to the restroom and stretched, and walked down to the start. Everything was very organized and easy to figure out (very important for a newb!)

Note that splits are approximate since I did them on my watch - they are not posted on the website.
Swim
  • 06m 35s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since this was my first tri, seeing the first two waves go out was pretty cool. Cheered for my SO as he took off on the swim, then just tried to stay warm and loose while I waited (8 minutes) for my wave to start. I started to the inside of the group, waded/dove in, and started swimming ASAP. I got bumped, kicked a couple people, but all in good fun. They started relays with the women's wave, so a couple of guys blew through everyone.

Straight out to the first breakwall was pretty good but pretty crowded. Once I rounded the breakwall the water became choppier and tried to push you back towards the rocks. I just kept breathing and sighting towards the rocks to gauge my position. I passed quite a few people, including a few in the wave in front of me. I swam almost directly into the second breakwall (poor sighting), so I pushed off of an underwater rock. I kept trying to pass the person in front of me on the inside, but she kept swimming towards the rocks and cutting me off. I ended up breaststroking for a couple strokes and going outside of her and passing her. The turn back towards shore came faster than expected (just as I was settling in) and before I knew it I was done. Had to wade the last 20 meters or so because it was only knee-deep.

Overall, I was pleased because I wasn't too tired and I was 4th of my wave out of the water. The run back across the beach and up the hill to the transition area was harder than the swim itself!
What would you do differently?:

Start to the outside and cut the group off at the turn rather than having to make a sharp turn around the breakwall. Also, I wasn't paying good attention to my form, so I wasn't making the long, strong, slow strokes that I had planned.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Time includes the run across the beach and up the hill since I hit the split button on my watch a little too soon. I dunked my feet in a bucket, sat down, dried them off, pulled on shoes and socks. I put my helmet on, grabbed the bike, and ran out of the transition area. I tucked the gloves and race number in my shorts, not realizing that they were all totally unneccessary for the bike leg.

It all sounds much more organized than it really was - although I had a clear plan, I hadn't practiced it, and it showed. I was pretty slow in transition. I didn't hit the split button on my watch until I was on the bike and pedaling, about 20 or 30 seconds into the bike leg.

Not take gloves or race number, not sit down, get some Yankz.
Bike
  • 48m 21s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 17.74 mile/hr
Comments:

First off, I think I win the "dinosaur bike" award - mine was a (free) old road bike with toe clips and no computer from about 1982. It is also a couple sizes small, so my quads get a little sore if I ride long distances. But for a first tri, it did the job.

I headed out at what felt like (for this bike) a pretty good clip. It was flat and open, with a strong headwind. Soon I started getting passed by people on shiny new tri bikes with aerobars like I was standing still! I played cat-and-mouse with an older guy on a pretty sweet Felt S22 - he had skull and crossbone socks, which made me laugh. I would fly by him on hills, he would catch back up to me on the flat. Towards the end he drafted me for a bit and passed me on the final flat part, where I was spinning to ease up on my then-burning legs.

I was very worried about the run, since it's my weakest event, and since my quads were burning I thought I might be going too hard. But I felt comfortable, the scenery was nice, and although about 10 or 15 people passed me I thought I timed it just right.

Get a new bike :) or, at least, some clipless pedals.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

This was quick since I don't have bike shoes. Just racked the bike, dumped the helmet, grabbed race number, re-tied shoe, and headed out.

Get a race belt so I'm not fiddling with the number at the start of the run.
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is definitely my weakest event. Even though I had practiced some bricks, none of them had been very long, so coming off the bike my calves were pretty sore. I was fiddling with my race number just out of transition and ended up walking a few steps so I could get it pinned on right.

The first half mile was very difficult, mentally. The fun parts were over and I was up to my "bad" event, my calves hurt, the sun was hot, and I was telling myself over and over that I would not let myself walk. And after a half mile, I passed the first place woman - who was going to the FINISH LINE! Wow - she was absolutely cooking, and it was a little demoralizing. But before the first mile I actually passed someone, which lightened my mood considerably. After that I just focused on breathing, staying with the people in front of me, and stretching out my stride. The turnaround came quickly, I dumped some water on my head, and headed back out. The second half felt easier but longer than the first, and I passed 4 or 5 more people.

Stretch out and pick up the pace a little sooner. I was very concerned about having enough to finish. When I saw my SO near the finish line I had enough breath to joke around with him and laugh, so I could have pushed harder. Overall, it was very satisfying to feel so good at the end since I was expecting much, much worse.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some bananas, drank water, cheered for the rest of the finishers. Didn't stick around to find out the final results, since I didn't think I did so well...but I was pleased to find out I was 4th in my AG and 20th of 37 women!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The older, too-small bike with toe clips. Also, not being familiar with the course made me a little conservative on the bike and run, since I never knew if there was going to be some nasty hill coming up around the bend.

Event comments:

I had fun and want to do it again! I was surprised at how sore my muscles were within an hour of finishing, and how fatigued (and hungry!) I felt the rest of the day.

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:35 | 437 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/121
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point-to-point along the shore, between breakwalls and buoys. Water was much choppier once you got outside of the breakwall.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:21 | 14.3 miles | 17.74 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course, mostly flat and open, with a pretty strong headwind on the way out. On the way in it was more protected and shaded, with a couple rolling hills and turns.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:58 | 03.11 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, almost all flat, through town, with one hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes