World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 49m 16s
Overall Rank = 246/1300
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 42/180
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am for oatmeal and coffee.
Stetching, Bathroom, get dressed.
Left at 5am to meet the shuttle bus to T1
Event warmup:

Short swim in the warm up area
Swim
  • 1h 13m 23s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really enjoyed the swim at IMLC. There's enough room on the beach to spread the athletes and unlike other full IM's it didn't feel like a battle to get in the water.
There were lots of people to draft, but minimal contact after the first 100 meters.
Transition 1
  • 05m 50s
Comments:

This is a long uphill transition with a set of steep steps just before entering the area.
Performance once in T1 was pretty good. A volunteer helped strip my wetsuit and then I went through my list of putting on all my bike gear.
Bike
  • 6h 04m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.45 mile/hr
Comments:

While I of course would have liked to have raced a 5hr30min bike, I really wasn't disappointed. I was proud of my execution on the bike...nutrition and drinking was near perfect. I had to take 3 pit stops on the bike where in other IM's I barely stopped once.
During the ride I focused on staying easy, spinning up the hills (which is where I passed most people that didn't want to find an easier gear) working through OR coasting some of the descents, and focused on setting myself up for a good run.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I should have trained more for climbing. Training through the winter with almost 100% trainer rides I felt prepared, but guess I needed more.

Wear more sunscreen...my shoulders are fried!
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

T2 was setup well with plenty of volunteers.
I was no sooner off my bike and a nice lady was there to take it to the racks.
Bags were easy to find and there was plenty of help in the tent.

I was happy with my T2 time, but here's where the time went:
A volunteer grabbed my bag before I was finished putting bike gear in it, so I had to chase them down to not lose my gloves, socks, arm sleeves.

Quick pit stop in the bathroom.
Run
  • 4h 21m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

I still had legs in this run, but constant wave of overheating and staying cool enough forced the walk/run marathon.
I'm not really happy about the time here, I totally felt in shape for a 3:17 to 3:30 marathon (and after the first lap was running about 8:20 pace). I don't feel like I fell apart mentally, but once the heat makes you light headed and staggering for a few steps, it's time to slow down and regroup

Again...Sunscreen before leaving T2, but I didn't see any sunscreen, or anyone to help my put it on.

Despite the slow time, I don't have much that I would change. My nutrition, drinking and execution were good. Even with using all the cooling tricks in the book, I just wasn't able to keep my temperature down
Post race
Warm down:

It was about a 3 mile walk from the finish line back to my condo, so that's all the warm down there was.
I ate most of a pizza when I got back as well...delicious!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The headwinds and some of the climbing on the bike.
Overheating on the run.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race and Ironman Mexico did a great job putting on the Inaugural event.
This is easily the most difficult Ironman Course I've raced, but also enjoyed the most (only second to my PR in Western Australia).

Despite the toughness of the course this is definitely a race I would do again.

Last updated: 2012-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:23 | 3862 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 63/180
Overall: 261/1300
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular Course in a protected bay at Palmilla Cove. 500 out, left turn and 1500 meters down the coast, left turn with 300 towards the beach, left turn and 1500 to the finish line. The water isn't crystal clear, but there's good visibility and no sea life that can interrupt the swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:04:11 | 112 miles | 18.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/180
Overall: 251/1300
Performance: Average
35.3 miles - 1:40:29 - 21.08mph - Downhill to San Lucas from Palmilla, no wind. I just stayed easy and was literally spinning the whole time, using easier gears on the uphill as I knew there was a lot of climbing to come. 55.8 miles - no split (This was probably 3 hours) - Includes the climb on the toll road to the airport and a second circuit to San Lucas and back. There was a stiff head/cross wind with strong gusts making it hard to control the bike. The ride back from San Lucas was faster, but the second lap to the airport was a slow crawl for everyone there (Toll Road = Tail Wind Out, Head Wind Back). 20.9 miles - no split - Final circuit of the airport toll road. Everyone looked beat and ready to be off their bike. Several people pulled out before the second lap to the airport or didn't even start the run. The same head wind out/tail wind back was in play for the second lap.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 Lap Course. Leaving from Palmilla heading south to Cabo San Lucas. Return and ride the toll road to the aiport (a couple serious climbs both directions) The wind built throughout the morning making the second lap much more difficult. The head/cross winds made a tough course even more challenging. I thought I was well prepared for this course, but may have underestimated the constant rolling terrain and the climbs of the airport road. This is the most scenic Ironman bike course I've seen.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
04:21:53 | 26.2 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 42/180
Overall: 246/1300
Performance: Average
Course: 3 Lap course through downtown San Jose Del Cabo and a circuit to Puerta Los Cabos. Great course support with volunteers, locals, expats, and vacationers. The Puerta Los Cabos section was pretty quiet due to the bridge access to get there, but the rest of the course had lots of great spectator support. The course has full sun from 12PM to 4PM and then the shade starts to become more plentiful. The aid stations are plentiful and needed! There was never a shortage of anything I needed (water, coke, ice, etc).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes