United States
Meridian Athletic Association
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 138/156
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and drove to event (approx 1.5 hours). Had a cappuccino, a banana, and an english muffin with peanut butter on the way. Drank lots of water.
Event warmup:

Setup stuff in transition area and then went down to the water to swim some before the race. It helped a LOT! Some gentle stretching and I was ready to go.
Swim
  • 21m 18s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm very proud of myself here (patting myself on back). I finally figured out the OWS and I'm actually looking forward to the next tri. I spent some time in the last few weeks doing lake swims and getting into a good slow rhythm for distance, so I was able to start off slowly and then build the pace a little bit without getting into oxygen debt... that seems to be the key for me. Also, I didn't have a problem with navigation until the last leg. The first leg: straight to the buoy, the second leg: straight to the buoy, the last leg: I kept pulling to the left (not sure why).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm very happy with my OWS performance now... just read my past race results. I just gotta keep swimming lots.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

This time is from my own watch's lap timer. They didn't record the transition splits, so T1 was lumped in with the bike portion and T2 was lumped in with the run.

I still need to shave some time from T1, but I haven't practiced any, so what can expect? Maybe this month I'll practice strapping the shoes to the bike with rubber bands. It can't be that hard, right?
Bike
  • 1h 08m 7s
  • 21.5 miles
  • 18.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I only got out of the saddle twice and spent most of the ride on the aerobars. I was pretty happy with the ride but I feel like I left everything on the road... I was spent at the end of the ride and I should have conserved more for the run.

Pace myself and not blow it all out on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Not much to say here... got out of the bike shoes and slipped on the running shoes and race belt.

Nothing, really.
Run
  • 51m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, my running sucked. I started off with a little soreness from the bike, but I didn't feel that concerned about it. Until, that is, after hitting the second mile and realizing that I had started off with a 5k pace (for me, which is about 9:15-9:20). I was spent and it was hot. I spent the last 3 miles just trying to keep moving my legs, but they were getting heavier and heavier. By the time I crossed the finish line I was ready to fall over.

I'd think about the length of the event more and pace myself better. This was the longest tri so far for me, and I didn't respect those extra couple of miles here and there.
Post race
Warm down:

Almost fell down, almost threw up. Drank a Powerade (handed to me at the finish) and walked over to the transition area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just me.

Event comments:

This was a decent race but I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it's a nice intermediate distance (not quite Oly) and it was a fun, family-friendly event. On the other hand, beginner participation is dropping (according to the RD) so it's hard to get excited about finishing so close to last (and DFL in my AG) after giving so much on the course. Another annoying thing was the lack of T1/T2 split times, but I'm still new, so maybe that's not such a big deal. They also didn't use chip timing, so I was concerned about the people manually recording the times, but the times came very close to what I recorded, so I didn't object to the official results.

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:18 | 880 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 152/156
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Trisuit
Course: Clockwise squared-off horseshoe in Okatibbee Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:07 | 21.5 miles | 18.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 98/156
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat with some gentle hills and a couple steep, short climbs.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:25 | 05 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 141/156
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat course using some of the bike route.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 10:54 PM

User image

Montgomery, AL
Subject: Sunfish Summer Triathlon

2006-07-11 8:38 AM
in reply to: #478468

User image

War Eagle!!!!
Subject: RE: Sunfish Summer Triathlon

Good Job Mac!!

You were flying on the bike!!

I thought the bike course was good but the run course was a brutal combination of hills and sun.
I wonder why they picked 5 miles? It is not like it is a natural loop or anything, we could have turned around anywhere.

Anyway You did Good.

Darrell
2006-07-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #478468

User image

Montgomery, AL
Subject: RE: Sunfish Summer Triathlon
Thanks! You were awesome, too!

I just read your race report and posted there too. I thought the bike course was OK, but I did think a pretty fair stretch of it was too rough of a surface.

I can't really complain about finishing DFL in my age group, I was just a little disappointed. I'm still using every tri as a practice and learning experience. I probably won't be fast enough to actually compete for a long time.

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunfish Summer Triathlon Rss Feed