General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marble Falls, Texas
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 29/223
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/32
Event warmup:

swim about 5 minutes
Swim
  • 32m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well first thing putting on my suit I ripped it.
The swim started really well. Two guys just took off. Then there was a group of about 6-7 right behind. I was drafting really well in this group. This lasted out to the first turn and then around the second. Then it all went south. I stayed on the feet of the guy in front of me and stopped sighting because things where going great and figured I would just save my energy. Well when I did sight (about 250-300 yards) I could not even see the buoy. So I sighted a few more times and still couldn't see the thing. So I stopped and looked I was so far off I couldn't believe it. The other guy was still just swimming away. So I corrected my course and finished the best I could. This really got under my skin because my swimming had been going so well. It was so bad that my wife and mom (not the only ones) where pointing and saying look at those guys. Still not a bad time for me but if I would have stayed with that group I would have been close if not under 30.
What would you do differently?:

sight even if I think I'm on the feet of a good swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

everything went real smooth.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Well the bike started off great. I got right up to pace and HR was looking good. Then I heard a funny sound. Looked down just like I thought flat and on the back(NICE). So pulled off to the side and for a minute just stood there in disgust. Then it hit me this is a race! So I jumped to it (something I don't practice if I looked at my watch right it took about 7.5 minutes). I told myself the whole time I was changing the flat that I could not just take off and try to make up the time. But everyone that went by just made that harder and harder to listen to. So I jumped on the bike and took off. YEP didn't listen to left shoulder. At about mile 30 I finally talked myself into the fact that I was digging my own grave. I settled down and finished the ride at about the right pace. The last few miles I started getting my mind right for the run and what I knew was going to be tough because of the bike leg.

practice changing flats.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

went good. I was a little slow because of putting on sox ( still haven't found another pair of shoes I can run in without them).
Run
  • 2h 03m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run up a big hill. After that settled in nice and felt pretty good. Made a mistake of waiting on a port a potty should have just went on but didn't know how far the next one was. Other then that everything was good. I changed my pace do to the bike leg and was holding good. I actually thought I was going to make it then it hit me. The last 3 miles about killed me (and it was mostly down hill). I did not let myself walk but man it was tough. So my pace went out the window to a just don't walk and finish this thing. I rounded the last corner my nephew was waiting on me and he jogged in a little bit with me. He said uncle Jason what's wrong your never this slow! Lesson learned I hope but I doubt it.

Not kill my self on the bike after a flat.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 24/223
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: rectangle star on one corner and make 3 turns
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:42 | 56 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/32
Overall: 50/223
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with some pretty good hills
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:44 | 13.1 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/32
Overall: 40/223
Course: out and back mostly up hill out and down hill back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-29 7:09 PM

User image

Regular
Canton, TX
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course

2013-04-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4719884

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course
Nice job out there dude.  I know just what you mean about being frustrated by a flat. Happened to me at Kerrville last year.  It's rough, but you still had a really good race.  I need to learn how to swim like you though! Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Marble Falls - Half Iron Course Rss Feed