BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-02 12:00 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - CLOSED

-- THIS GROUP IS CLOSED DUE TO A LACK OF INTEREST...

GROUP FOCUS: International and Half Ironman - Lets set some benchmarks, and track our improvements!

This will be a fun interactive group to be part of. We will set our own goals, and work towards them.

NAME: Aust1227, Austin  

STORY: I started with Triathlon while in College back in the 1990s.. When I graduated I took a ten year break from endurance sports. I dabbled with golf, tennis, brewing, poker, beach volleyball, and more.. Now, I am back to my first love, endurance sports!

I live in Florida. I love training. I love my life. And I love racing.

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim 4X a week over lunch, and train with my wife every day after work. I currently strive for 13 workouts a week and log between 11-16 hours. I err on the side of "easy" workouts. Rest and recovery are the MOST important part of my training regime. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I ran a couple half marathons this winter (PR 1:24:09).. Blew up at Rock and Roll New Orleans Marathon (3:11), and had a great "training race" Half Iron in Ocala (4:34). 

2013 RACES:  Gulf Coast Triathlon in May (BEST RACE EVER.. TRY IT!!), and REV 3 Maine in August.. I will attempt an Iron race in October (Great Floridian)

WEIGHTLOSS: I hover between 167-170. I have lost 35 pounds in the last two years.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am goal oriented and like to focus on the positive aspects of training and self improvement.

Edited by Aust1227 2013-05-14 4:54 PM

2013-05-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4724233

Subject: RE: Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - OPEN

Hi Austin,

Trying to join/decide between a few groups.  How many are you accepting into your group?  I may prefer a smaller group.

I'm interested in joining a mentor group for the knowledge gains, some accountabillity, and community aspect. Finished first half in March, HITS OCALA, in 6:30. Florida 70.3 is coming soon (2 weeks) and anticipate it beign a bit slower due to heat and a bit a training fall off due to work schedule. "Raced" a OLY in April and improved by 12 minutes from previous year's time---so the HIM training was paying off at for the OLY distances as well.

Anyhow, let me know if still open and what is expected requried (logs, etc.). I currently use Garmin Connect.

Thanks!
-Leon

2013-05-06 11:57 AM

Hey there! I am brand new to this whole thing. I tried an indoor tri at the local YMCA in February and loved it. It is goal I have set not just for myself, but for my husband to see me complete before the big bad "C" word finally gets him.

My initial goal is to complete an olympic level tri. I have already completed a 10k, a 25 mile bike ride, and a short swim. After I complete an olympic tri I plan to complete a half marathon and work towards HIM and finally an Iron man (possibly in 2015).

I am currently doing 2 a days. Mondays I do my brick in the morning with a boot camp at night, tuesday I cycle and then swim (to work on form) in the morning and evenings I do a long run, wednesday morning I do interval runs and weight lifting in the morning and evenings I do a gym cardio class, thursdays I swim a longer swim (20-30 minutes) and then do short cardio in the am and evenings I do a short tempo run and work abs and weights, fridays I go back to brick in the mornings and evening I have off. Saturdays I may do as I feel... either a long run or a long bike ride followed by a swim or run. Sundays are rest days.

2013-05-07 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4726297

User image

New user

Thanks for writing! It was a crazy weekend for Renee and I as we did our last minute prep for Gulf Coast this weekend.

I would prefer to keep the group small! 4 of 5 people would be about perfect. Hope you decide to stick around and join us.

I was at HITS too, did you enjoy the race? IMFL70.3 is a big event. A ton of energy and enthusiasm.

2013-05-07 6:02 PM

New user

Sorrento

Hey there:  I am going to be competing in my first half distance tri this weekend at Gulf Coast.  Yes, I am nervous about the swim, but am excited about the bike.  Would love to join in your group.   

I come from a background of volleyball, basketball, and track and field - Competed in the heptathalon so all of my distances were short and over fairly quick.  The whole endurance thing is very challenging but I have lost 25 lbs over the past year and a half getting ready for this race.  It definitely takes time and discipline, but working with Austin has been a truly great and he keeps me focused and motivated to keep going. 

Look forward to the training group!!!

Renee'

2013-05-07 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4729424

User image

New user

Welcome!! Congrats on starting towards something inspiring.

I assume the "C" word rhymes w/ dancer? If so, I am sad for you both. I look forward to working with you to get to your goals.

Two a days already. That is impressive. Do you work too? How many hours are you working out a week? Do you come from an athletic background?

2013-05-08 10:23 AM

Hey Austin, My name is Shawn. I am brand bew to the whole triatlete thing. I have always been acitve with sports and workout programs but am ready to ramp it up and compete in my first 1/2 tri in the near future. If you have the space available i would love the mentoring and encouragent.
2013-05-08 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4733017

User image

New user

Come on in!

where are you starting from?  weight? Goals? Current training regime?  Equipment?

What race have you signed up for?

2013-05-10 1:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Surely would like to join if it's a small group as you've mentioned. Keeping track for response(s)... Wink
2013-05-13 3:45 AM

New user
Singapore

Hi Austin/everyone. Below my story. Can I join you guys ?

NAME: smartine, Max

STORY: Started my triathlon training schedule on January 1st this year with the goal of completing a HIM distance race. I have a decent background in running and cycling. Only took my first swimming lesson in December last year. It still shows. I am pretty disciplined in my training. Most of my workouts take place in the morning. Work tends to get in the way of evening sessions. Climate is a big factor here, with average temperature year round of 32 degrees Celsius/90 degrees Fahrenheit.

STATUS: girlfriend living in Europe but moving to Singapore mid June

CURRENT TRAINING: swim 3x, run 2x and bike 2x per week. Will make core training and stretching part of my half ironman training schedule.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: did a 10k race in 43:10 in March and my first sprint triathlon last month (750m swim in 18:40, 20km bike in 33:10 and 5km run in 22:56).

2013 RACES: 
Bintan Olympic distance triathlon on May 18;
Bintan half ironman distance on August 31;
HIM Taiwan on November 2;
The goal for the August one is to finish. In Taiwan to race.

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost 26 pounds over the past year. Currently weighing 176lbs with a body fat percentage of about 12-13%. Happy with my current weight and focusing on consuming sufficient energy to fuel my training. Will at a later stage cut down further to a body fat percentage of 8%

2013-05-15 2:36 AM

New user
Singapore
Subject: RE: Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - CLOSED

Awkward silence... Laughing

I have been looking at the calendar for the rest of the year and am not sure how to proceed after this weekend's olympic distance triathlon. The two remaining goals for the year are both half ironman distance. Dates are respectively August 31 and November 2. I am planning on taking two weeks off training after this weekend, which leaves 13 weeks and 9 weeks respectively of training time before each event.

My goal for the August one is just to finish comfortably. Would you use a two seperate plans with each their base/build/peak cycles or treat the 22 week period as one cycle ?

2013-05-16 12:44 AM
in reply to: #4742975

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - CLOSED
smartine - 2013-05-15 9:36 AM

Awkward silence... Laughing

I have been looking at the calendar for the rest of the year and am not sure how to proceed after this weekend's olympic distance triathlon. The two remaining goals for the year are both half ironman distance. Dates are respectively August 31 and November 2. I am planning on taking two weeks off training after this weekend, which leaves 13 weeks and 9 weeks respectively of training time before each event.

My goal for the August one is just to finish comfortably. Would you use a two seperate plans with each their base/build/peak cycles or treat the 22 week period as one cycle ?

I am in similar situation.

I would take this season as an experience based, the goal is on getting experience in these races. For sure I would treat it as two cycles. On the first HIM you'll see how your plan worked out considering your race. You can change something additionally for the second one.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Austin's Training Group - Lets improve together! HIM - CLOSED Rss Feed