of 44

2013-10-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by SSMinnow

I would like to see Rinny, but I also like Caroline Steffen quite a bit.  Torn.  Don't care much about the men's race, but would like to see Potts or O'Donnell in the Top 3.

Steffen is due to have a good finishing kick. i dig her abs, so go Caroline..I'd love my girl Linsay, but dout that.
Wuertele would be kind of neat to have a Canadian. Never count pun Mary Beth ever with her wonky shoulder

Seems like Sebastian K's year, but would like to see Alexander return to form one more time. It would drive Macca mad!

Edited by TrevorC 2013-10-10 7:49 PM

2013-10-11 9:58 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

The weekend is almost here!  Do you have a race coming up?  Spill it.

Also, if you haven't sent any inspires in awhile, send a few out this weekend.  Let's tell those people we haven't heard from that we miss them.

2013-10-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

New user
Hi all! I haven't checked in in awhile either. Looks like everyone's been rockin' it! My tri training has kind of fallen by the wayside. I'm still getting 1 pool swim in per week, but haven't done an open water swim in awhile. Haven't been on the bike in awhile either. My Nike SF half is next weekend, so I've been concentrating more on the run. Got in a decent 12 miler today, so at least I know I can get it done. My sprint is the following weekend. I never intended to really "race" it, it's more of a finishing thing with me (being my first,) so I think it's good I don't really have any expectations. Would have loved to get in another open water swim or more longer bike rides, but it is what it is.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend!
2013-10-12 5:39 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Go Rinny!!!!
2013-10-12 7:27 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great race this year, just watched Rinnie blast past Rachel Joyce; Luke McKenzie is still in second but doing great. Very exciting!

I've got dual British/Australian nationality so that gives me lots of athletes to support
2013-10-13 4:00 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by copa2251
Originally posted by SSMinnowLet's talk World Championships!  Any predictions?

I'd love to see Crowie win it again, he's such a dedicated athlete and all round nice guy. I think we might see a European winner though this year.

We've got a few local athletes taking part including Pete Jacobs and Caroline Steffen so I'll be rooting for them. The partner of one of the local tri coaches, a lady called Jessica Fleming, is racing this year. She's a pretty amazing athlete having come 3rd at Ironman Australia this year beating the pro's despite being an AG'er and mum of 2 kids (at my kids school). She did 9:50:46 at IMOZ!!! I'd love to see her do well.

Pete Jacobs won the local IM 70.3 with an amazing time of 3:39:59 so he's on form (Jess Fleming came 3rd with 4:27), hard to imagine being that speedy...
Jessica Fleming did a 9:39:46!!!!!!
How good was that run by Rinnie???

2013-10-13 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by SSMinnowLet's talk World Championships!  Any predictions?

I'd love to see Crowie win it again, he's such a dedicated athlete and all round nice guy. I think we might see a European winner though this year.

We've got a few local athletes taking part including Pete Jacobs and Caroline Steffen so I'll be rooting for them. The partner of one of the local tri coaches, a lady called Jessica Fleming, is racing this year. She's a pretty amazing athlete having come 3rd at Ironman Australia this year beating the pro's despite being an AG'er and mum of 2 kids (at my kids school). She did 9:50:46 at IMOZ!!! I'd love to see her do well.

Pete Jacobs won the local IM 70.3 with an amazing time of 3:39:59 so he's on form (Jess Fleming came 3rd with 4:27), hard to imagine being that speedy...

Jessica Fleming did a 9:39:46!!!!!!
How good was that run by Rinnie???

Only two men ran faster...her run was incredible!

2013-10-13 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

Obviously just me and Dan watching it!

2013-10-14 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Obviously just me and Dan watching it!

Carfrae was amazing, no lead is safe when she can run a 2:50.
Good to see Corbin in the top 10 as well.
Honestly, I enjoyed the womens race more, as I don't really know much about Freddie from Belgium.

I couldn'tbelieve how many people were literally collapsing at the finish line. Saw one guy look like he was shot. Just dropped.
Our two girls from here were 10:15 and 15:02. The 15hr girl was a lottery winner. She said the bike got really hard on the 2nd half. The wind was picking up I guess. She finished in 15hrs, and was 15th in line for finisher gear!
2013-10-14 5:47 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I watched every possible minute of the World Championships, including on my pc while Paul drove us to a concert in Milwaukee.  I saw the mens finish and Rinny's pass and really wanted to see her cross the line. Absolutely frickin' amazing.

I had a couple of people I knew doing it too.  My 51 year old girlfriend went 11:51 for a 25th in her AG and another 65 year old male friend DNFed at 16m on the run.  Amazing to get there, even more amazing to cross that line.

Every time I see that race it motivates me in some way.  

2013-10-15 5:52 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Expert
Noosa

I did my treadmill interval run tonight next to Belinda Granger! She was really excited by Rinny's race but completely stoked by Luke Mackenzie's performance. It's fun to talk about the race with someone who knows these people so well!

2013-10-16 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

It's the middle of the week......and it's time to tell us about your weekend plans.  Who's racing?

The other topic I'd like us to explore this week is coaching.  Have you ever used a coach, or thought about using a coach?  What factors did you take into consideration?  What would you look for in a coach?  Where would you look?  What would it cost?  If you've had a coach in the past, what went well, and what didn't?

2013-10-16 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Just getting back into the grove. I am doing the Scarecrow century with some friends not really a race but will probably be my longest ride. I signed up for the 70 mile option but friends may want to do the 100. I am not sure how it will go as I only have less than 50 in the saddle since Augusta.

I thought about a coach but seemed pricey to me. I did have several coaches in the fleet feet program that i paid a one time fee of 200 for and the plan. I like that ideal. However in aa group setting not to much one on one time. One coach gave me the best advice by telling me to gear up because I was bouncing to much. That helped me get more power and faster. They also gave us a really good plan and they had special session for mis things like sighting and nutrition.

2013-10-16 10:43 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

What are some good HIM in the early season? I want to do one early and late next year. I would like to stay near Alabama

2013-10-16 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jfought

It's the middle of the week......and it's time to tell us about your weekend plans.  Who's racing?

The other topic I'd like us to explore this week is coaching.  Have you ever used a coach, or thought about using a coach?  What factors did you take into consideration?  What would you look for in a coach?  Where would you look?  What would it cost?  If you've had a coach in the past, what went well, and what didn't?

I've been a coached athlete for many years.  I started with a running coach when I got serious about BQing.  I switched to a triathlon coach after that goal was met and I became serious about doing an IM.   I like structure so having someone lay out a daily plan for me is awesome. If I don't have it, I tend to do too much and focus on the things I like best.  That doesn't happen with a coach.  If you are someone who likes to be spontaneous with your workouts, I wouldn't recommend this route.  

Over the years, I've become smarter in selecting a coach.  I now look for someone who has a lot of experience in the areas I am concentrating on, does this for a living (versus a side job), and has a personality that I find appealing.  Given the close relationship I have with this individual it is crucial to me that we get along on a personal level.  I screened for it and asked lots of questions in our initial meetings. I made sure he knew my goals up front and asked whether he felt he could help deliver them.   I will say it isn't all wine and roses, there are times I would like to strangle my current coach (much like the man), but that's part of it too.

Good coaches can be pricey so you want to make sure you make the right decision.

If you want more info on how I went about it, just let me know.

PS.  I'm doing a 10k this weekend.  After weeks off post IM, I am in no shape to do it, but I plan to turn on my Garmin, hide it and suffer.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-10-16 10:59 AM
2013-10-16 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here.   I like the idea of having a coach, but an not ready to cough up the money for it quite yet -- new bike first.  If I did go with coaching, it would have to be virtual, i.e., via internet because even if there are good coaches near me, I think I would lose too much in translation. 

2013-10-16 10:43 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa

No racing yet, I'd be interested in a coach but it's too expensive to get past my wife! I just use a good training plan and adapt as needed.

2013-10-17 8:26 PM

User image

New user
I just gotta get back in the groove. I signed up for a coach through this site, only $35 per month, but not what I expected. They said you would get a customized plan and mine was the standard IM plan. Felt like they had too much on their plate(too many people to coach) to be of value. Just standard comments on your training. The one good thing about it was that I knew he looked at my training and I felt I had to be accountable. So in that sense it was good. I would probably pay more next time to have a one on one with a coach.
2013-10-18 9:26 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Hi, guys!

Home from my tour of the east coast - so much fun.

Need to find my bike, and get on it.  More importantly, need to run a bit before I hit Vegas in, oh, FIVE weeks for a half?!?!?

2013-10-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion

Back from my little local, hilly Halloween 10K.  I had a blast.  Turned on the GPS and never looked at it.  Went as hard as the drumsticks would allow working the hills really well which has been a focus for me since coming back from three weeks off post IM.  No PR, but not a bad day!  

2013-10-20 2:16 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Back from my little local, hilly Halloween 10K.  I had a blast.  Turned on the GPS and never looked at it.  Went as hard as the drumsticks would allow working the hills really well which has been a focus for me since coming back from three weeks off post IM.  No PR, but not a bad day!  

Well done Suzy, sounds like you had a great race!

Welcome back Linda, I saw some of your pics on FB, lots of wineries!!!

I met up with the local tri club for the first time today, I've been a member for 2 years but never gone along. Anyway they were doing the Noosa tri course bike/swim brick so I thought I'd increase the time on the bike by doing 30 mins before they got started. Meant I was on the bike at 4:50am, a new early start record for me!

2013-10-20 11:31 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

4:50 a.m.?  Wow.  I would need to make some lifestyle changes to pull that one off.   Maybe next year.  The weather here is turning so I ended up inside on the trainer on Saturday.  I was able to tolerate 1:50 which is a good sign as I am planning to spend a lot of time riding inside this winter.    Nice to see some action in the mentor blog.

Nice run Suzy!  

Good to see Linda cranking out some run and bike miles this weekend!!

2013-10-22 8:54 AM

User image

New user
I did the Nike Women's Half in SF this last weekend. Had a group of about 10 girls up there, but ran the whole thing one of them. Neither of us felt like we were in great shape, so we were treating it like a training run. I also had my husband's voice in my head telling me to take it easy since I have my first sprint tri next weekend. I felt like we were taking it fairly easy, but at the halfway point she noticed we were on pace for a sub-2 half. I'm always amazed at how weak my mental toughness is. I immediately felt tired. lol. But we kept trucking along... steep hills and all. I didn't think there was any way we'd get in under 2:00, but gave it our all at the end. I was pleasantly surprised we only missed it by 22 seconds!

On another note, they had SF firefighters dressed up in tuxes giving out the necklaces and taking pictures with the runners. There was one at the finish line giving high fives right before the timing mat. He cut me off to give someone a high five as I was sprinting in and almost took me out! Then in turn, I almost took someone else out. Can't wait to see those finish line pictures.
2013-10-22 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Hey all,

I have been doing little but have done some training since Augusta. I went and did 85 on the bike last weekend(my longest ride yet) and hill reapeats before that. Last night decided to try and get 45 mins in and I was feeling good and made it to a 10K PR. I have yet to get back in the pool I need to but no motivation. I got my stuff with me to go at lunch but I have no ear plugs and hate getting water in my ears. How do yall get motivation to get back in the pool

2013-10-22 9:44 PM

User image

New user
Great Job Jill, awesome time, I cant even imagine going that fast for 13 miles. Firefighters in tuxes....nice...only thing better would be firefighters out of tuxes.. Good luck next weekend, you will kill it!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44