Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-10-23 5:40 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

Nice half Jill, it's amazing how just dropping the intensity down a notch can still give you a good time but feels so much more fun!

Mike - I think you deserve a bit of a rest, use swimming as a nice easy workout and buy a few more swim toys. Just get in and relax, do lots of easy laps and play around. When you've got another tri on the horizon start adding some race pace intervals.

BUT, still write down a workout and stick to it otherwise easy becomes lazy!

2013-10-23 5:48 AM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Expert
Noosa
Finally on page 38!!!!! I was thinking about quitting the MG but then I realized that I really do care about how you're all getting on and talking about any old crap that comes up...
How are things going with the trail running Jayne? How's the cross season going Dino??? How's IM training going Trev? Are you ever going to get on a bike again Kayla??? Let us know
2013-10-23 6:36 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Jill--Great job on the half.  I bet if you were to do Vegas in a few weeks that sub 2 would be yours!

Mike--my motivation to get back in the pool is easy, I'll be even worse than I am if I don't!  Have you thought about REV 3 Knoxville for your first HIM of the season?  Mid May, tough course, but fun!

David--I've thought of quitting too.  The group has really lost its motivation and that makes me sad.

2013-10-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Sad. Yes.

2013-10-23 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

I'm hoping that the changes BT is making will make posting easier again - I miss it, too.

Crazy hectic around here - Zach's having MRIs and such - hip problems have shut down XC season, hard for a senior.  Torn labrum or stress fracture of the hip seem to be the prevailing thought.

I'll work harder to stay online with y'all - this is such an amazing group.

2013-10-23 9:18 PM

User image

New user
Thanks, everyone! I had a great time and we're already talking about doing it next year.

Suzy, don't think that hasn't crossed my mind! Last weekend has really motivated me to hit the running harder. I just need to get through this weekend first. I'm starting to get really nervous. Somehow I've put it out of my mind until the half was over. The weather looks beautiful this weekend, though, and I just heard the water temperature is 67 degrees. That sounds really cold to me, but Chet has assured it is a good wetsuit temperature! I think he'll say anything to me at this point, though...

2013-10-23 9:20 PM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Not too late for Vegas......

67 is WARM.  You've got this!!!

2013-10-23 9:31 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

New user
Originally posted by velcromom

Thanks, Linda!!!
2013-10-24 10:08 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion

Originally posted by velcromom

I agree with Linda.  I suggest you get in the H20, burp the suit and do a short warm up to get used to the temps.  While 67 isn't bad, it still takes your breathe away!  Keep Vegas in mind.  I know we'll see you either way.

Linda, what the heck is up with Zach?  How did it happen?

We are off to Minocqua today.  There is snow on the ground and it is snowing today. Crap, crud.  I hate winter. 

2013-10-24 11:34 AM

User image

Master

OK, OK, a little birdy came and chirped in my log to drop on in here. Sadly my log is pathetic this week as I've been slammed with a cold. My first true cold in years, and it truly sucks. I've decided today is the peak in the severity of symptoms and tomorrow will be better!!

Hmmmm, riding my bike?? Not sure. I give thought to it, certainly!! And have thought about some shorter triathlons next season. We'll see. When I think about how structured life needs to be do to multisport, it feel overwhelmed and like it becomes more chore and less fun. My life litmus test at the moment is that if something isn't fun I'm not going to bother. So I ask myself often, "Am I having fun?" And honestly, doing intervals on the trainer and sets in the pool don't sound fun right now. But we'll see... never say never!!!

Otherwise things are all fine here. I'm just chugging along logging run miles and sometimes trying to run faster. Did a 10K w/Birdy and RP a couple of weeks back and pulled out a 1:00 PR in spite of the lack of training. I'm having minor surgery on my ankle in November, so I know I'll lose a couple of weeks of running due to that. I figured it'll be a nice break for my body and I'll ramp up slowly in December and see where the year takes me come January!! Meanwhile, I also spend a $#!^-ton of time shuttling my kids to their activities, but it's a labor of love so I'm not complaining.

Carry on!! I'm reading even if I'm not posting. I'll try to be better about posting.

2013-10-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

My log is out of whack also. I just havent felt like putting on with GarminConnect and Strava thought that would be enough. I will start posting again next month.

I guess the MG goes pretty dull in the off season. I felt like the group was very different the second half of the year as well. I guess people have been busy with life

2013-10-24 9:09 PM

User image

New user
I am motivated!!! Just got back on my bike this week. Thought my proctologist was going to have to make a house call to remove my fat A%% off the couch!! I think it is just down time as several of us had big events and are going through the let down process. I set up a new training plan to keep me motivated. Going to sign up for half marathon in January and probably signing up for Lake Stevens for next year. Hopefully those will keep me going. I hope no-one leaves, this is a great group, just a busy one!

Jill, 67 IS warm. 59-60 is cold....you will do great!!
2013-10-24 10:45 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Nadscats

I am motivated!!! Just got back on my bike this week. Thought my proctologist was going to have to make a house call to remove my fat A%% off the couch!! I think it is just down time as several of us had big events and are going through the let down process. I set up a new training plan to keep me motivated. Going to sign up for half marathon in January and probably signing up for Lake Stevens for next year. Hopefully those will keep me going. I hope no-one leaves, this is a great group, just a busy one!

Jill, 67 IS warm. 59-60 is cold....you will do great!!

That made me laugh, Nadine. Nice job getting back out there!

I hope you guys are right about the water. I have no frame of reference, it just sounds cold! I will definitely warm up in the water before the race, and Chet even suggested I check it out at packet pickup tomorrow. We shall see... I'll keep you posted!
2013-10-25 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I put this decision off as long as I could, but I am not going to enter Alcatraz next summer. Not racing will really simplify a family vacation and allow me to take advantage of a couple of other opportunities next year. It's still on my wish list, but the opportunity cost is just too high this time around. I'm bummed, but I know it's the correct decision right now.

2013-10-25 7:35 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

New user
Hi David, you gotta do what is best for you. Take the year, enjoy the family, Alcatraz will always be there.
2013-10-26 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by tdl1972I put this decision off as long as I could, but I am not going to enter Alcatraz next summer. Not racing will really simplify a family vacation and allow me to take advantage of a couple of other opportunities next year. It's still on my wish list, but the opportunity cost is just too high this time around. I'm bummed, but I know it's the correct decision right now.

Best to do these things when the time is right rather than creating stress. How many days till IMFL???!

2013-10-26 7:06 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa

I had my latest night out in years last night! A friend from university was visiting from the UK so I went over to another Uni friends house after work (7pm finish last night...) then we all hit the town and I ended up walking home at 2:30am! I had to get up after 4 hours sleep and ride my bike back to Noosa to fetch the car. Never again,,,,

2013-10-26 7:29 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tdl1972 I put this decision off as long as I could, but I am not going to enter Alcatraz next summer. Not racing will really simplify a family vacation and allow me to take advantage of a couple of other opportunities next year. It's still on my wish list, but the opportunity cost is just too high this time around. I'm bummed, but I know it's the correct decision right now.

I personally know how hard it is to make a decision like that.  I waffled back and forth on IM WI for '14 but in the end decided I wanted a real summer to do other things.  We're doing a vacation too and I plan to do whatever I want whenever I want to do it on the race front.  Feels pretty good too.

2013-10-26 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Originally posted by copa2251

Originally posted by tdl1972I put this decision off as long as I could, but I am not going to enter Alcatraz next summer. Not racing will really simplify a family vacation and allow me to take advantage of a couple of other opportunities next year. It's still on my wish list, but the opportunity cost is just too high this time around. I'm bummed, but I know it's the correct decision right now.

Best to do these things when the time is right rather than creating stress. How many days till IMFL???!

Assuming I make it out of the water, I'll be on the bike this time next week.

2013-10-26 3:31 PM

User image

Champion

Three cheers for Jill!!!! She had a great race!

2013-10-26 6:28 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Great to see more action in the mg thread. The reality is that the more people participate, the more people people participate. Anyway, I arrived in Texas yesterday and will be doing a half marathon relay with my sister tomorrow. Her husband and youngest son are also doing the relay. I am hoping that the weather forecast is wrong and the rain holds off for a few hours.Love the new profile pic Suzy!

2013-10-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Originally posted by copa2251 Finally on page 38!!!!! I was thinking about quitting the MG but then I realized that I really do care about how you're all getting on and talking about any old crap that comes up...
How are things going with the trail running Jayne? How's the cross season going Dino??? How's IM training going Trev? Are you ever going to get on a bike again Kayla??? Let us know

Honestly still stalking, just don't post much.  I am really not a "triathlete" anymore so I feel really strange offering any advice on anything other than cycling and bike racing "cycling" is much different and requires much different training than "triathlon" cycling.  I don't use the new BT logs since I now log everything on training peaks.   Wow, lots of excuses here, so I will try to be better.  But I don't see any tri's in my near future.   

Cross season has been tough but fun.  I have held my own in this Masters category, there is no faster group except Pros.  I am currently sitting in 5th overall in the series.  We will see if I can stay there since 10 days ago I got this chest cold that I just cannot seem to kick.  Been to the Doc and they have seen it going around and really can't do anything for it except let it run it's course.  Worse race of the season for me today, just had no legs or jump out of the corners or up the hills and finished out of the top 20 (21st) for the first time all year.  Been hacking ever since with my cold and "crossers cough" which a lot of folks getting from breathing really deep in cold weather for an extended period of time.  Need to get back with a real hard training focus to finish the season.......

Keep posting, we can't let SWBKRUN die.  It has been a BT cornerstone.      

Edited by badgerintx 2013-10-26 8:55 PM
2013-10-26 10:20 PM

User image

New user
Thanks, Suzy!

I had a great time this morning and still can't believe I actually did it. The water temperature ended up being 64 degrees. I got in the water ahead of time, like you guys suggested and it really helped. It gave me a little confidence watching the olympic distance start their swim, too. They were all spread out and it looked like everyone had plenty of room. Then the sprint started... I don't know if all sprints are like this, but it was unreal. It was a time trial start, but right off the bat there were just people bunched up everywhere and no one was really swimming. Everyone was keeping their heads up and doggie paddling... including me! I felt like I had to keep my head up to keep from running into people and I felt all panicked and out of breath the whole time. 6 months of swim training went right out the window. One of my friends was a volunteer on a paddle board and she said the whole sprint swim looked like that and she had several girls hanging onto her board for a break.

The rest of the race was great. I LOVED the bike. That ended up being my favorite part. Saw my husband and the kids as I was coming into T2, so that gave me a little boost. The run was hilly, but I was so excited that I was close to the end I didn't care. Thought that I would be around 2 hours, but my finish time was 1:43, so I'll take it! Totally sucky swim, but there's no where to go but up, right?
2013-10-27 12:17 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by JillBThanks, Suzy!I had a great time this morning and still can't believe I actually did it. The water temperature ended up being 64 degrees. I got in the water ahead of time, like you guys suggested and it really helped. It gave me a little confidence watching the olympic distance start their swim, too. They were all spread out and it looked like everyone had plenty of room. Then the sprint started... I don't know if all sprints are like this, but it was unreal. It was a time trial start, but right off the bat there were just people bunched up everywhere and no one was really swimming. Everyone was keeping their heads up and doggie paddling... including me! I felt like I had to keep my head up to keep from running into people and I felt all panicked and out of breath the whole time. 6 months of swim training went right out the window. One of my friends was a volunteer on a paddle board and she said the whole sprint swim looked like that and she had several girls hanging onto her board for a break.The rest of the race was great. I LOVED the bike. That ended up being my favorite part. Saw my husband and the kids as I was coming into T2, so that gave me a little boost. The run was hilly, but I was so excited that I was close to the end I didn't care. Thought that I would be around 2 hours, but my finish time was 1:43, so I'll take it! Totally sucky swim, but there's no where to go but up, right?

Well done Jill, sounds like a great first tri, I think the swims get easier the more you do. I was ocean swimming before I started tris so I'm pretty comfortable being swum over, just relax and flow through the crowd. When's the next one?

2013-10-27 12:21 AM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by badgerintx

Originally posted by copa2251 Finally on page 38!!!!! I was thinking about quitting the MG but then I realized that I really do care about how you're all getting on and talking about any old crap that comes up...

Honestly still stalking, just don't post much.  I am really not a "triathlete" anymore so I feel really strange offering any advice on anything other than cycling and bike racing "cycling" is much different and requires much different training than "triathlon" cycling.  I don't use the new BT logs since I now log everything on training peaks.   Wow, lots of excuses here, so I will try to be better.  But I don't see any tri's in my near future.   

Cross season has been tough but fun.  I have held my own in this Masters category, there is no faster group except Pros.  I am currently sitting in 5th overall in the series.  We will see if I can stay there since 10 days ago I got this chest cold that I just cannot seem to kick.  Been to the Doc and they have seen it going around and really can't do anything for it except let it run it's course.  Worse race of the season for me today, just had no legs or jump out of the corners or up the hills and finished out of the top 20 (21st) for the first time all year.  Been hacking ever since with my cold and "crossers cough" which a lot of folks getting from breathing really deep in cold weather for an extended period of time.  Need to get back with a real hard training focus to finish the season.......

Keep posting, we can't let SWBKRUN die.  It has been a BT cornerstone.      

Got to watch that "crossers cough" Dino, another group who get that are cross country skiers but it's been found to be exercise induced asthma. The cold causes airway changes that trigger bronchoconstriction.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44