Total Time = 13h 49m
Overall Rank = 1371/2417
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 204/375
Pre-race routine:

woke up 330
ate the breakfast boost pop tart caffe latte 4scp pickle juice
poop x3

wander to conccourse bfast table - not much of what i wanted but coffee for jeane

ledft for Terrace - wnadering in dark but dropped of sp needs bags on the way

did transition bags first to check them and add a few items - garmin, endurolytes, lube
then to bike for bottles and set up pump up - saw a lot of friends on the way, Mike from EL was there so we hung together til swim start
went over to trop of helix - met up with our families which is nice before a long day, took my time and caught up with Clint Terri and a few others

decided to go down helix at 630 am - probably could have gone sooner bc I was rushed a little gettin into H2O
want to settle in more, but goggles di not help
Event warmup:

had to spend most of my 15 mins in the water getting goggles right andnot leaking - did not have much time to settle down, but found a great spot WAY inside which paid off for me except at turns
Swim
  • 1h 15m 53s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was non eventful

what I wanted - no /lil contact, except at corners and even able to go around 4 of them with no issue, 1 inside due to masses, and only went under 2 times

kept steady and inside the whole time- lil to no traffic. It is an Ironman Swim - bumping, crowds, swimming, swimming, swimming. I always say I'd rather swim 2 miles than run 2 miles. Still feel that way.

Overall, this was an average swim time for me. That was the plan, just average and survive without blowing up the heart rate.
What would you do differently?:

maybe swim more during the year - but was not concerned - took it easy and did well

Mission Accomplished
Transition 1
  • 11m 42s
Comments:

I ran out of the water and ready to go. My Stripper had issues and was trying to pry off heels instead of just pulling hard - had to tell her what to do - not a time issue, just funny. The few seconds are not going to hrut the day.

ran the whole helix, but did not fell stresed doing it

got inside and quickly found my bag
quick change, but had issue with repack due to bike gloves getting wrapped in suit - no issue still plenty of time and feeling good

Came out of the building and ready to go. I carried my shoes and ran in the socks. Once at my bike, I clipped on the shoes and then ran Darth to end of the chute. I was not used to being so far into the racks after IM2007 and 2009 But It was easier due to my bike was at the end of the rack

Overall, it flowed nicely, as planned, and then ready to hop on bike - Unfotunately, immediately the person in front of me stopped on a dime to fix something. I had to be evasive, but again no big issue,
or so I thought.

Nothing really, maybe tie it all together a bit faster, but in the end, this did not break me.
Bike
  • 6h 27m 12s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.36 mile/hr
Comments:

After I rolled down the helix I started to get shoes on- slight issue with left but rolled a few minutes and then slipped in. Ready to Go!

I just cruised down john nolen to the bike trail - no pushing, just looking ahead, Did not want to end the day early in the dense traffic heading out. One woman's day was ended in the tunnel going out, I do not want that to be me. As I was riding along, I noticed my HR was in the 140's - way too high for such an easy start. The plan was in the 130's, so I thought, stick to plan and keep it easy. The push can come later - So i decided to go easy for the stick and then check HR, then check at 40 miles and see if a push is warranted.

The stick was a smooth ride all the way to Verona, even into Verona and thru first loop was great - I felt good and was moving well as you see with first lap success. My goal was a 6hr ride and trying to avg about 18.5 mph. Overall it was not bad - the plan was working. I hit hills and just passed people like crazy and did not feel stressed - but HR elevated quickly to 160-170 and had to calm it down.

At Special Needs - the ride was going well and It was time to crank out a 2nd loop - My goal was still achievable.

BOOM face first into wind, sun came out, clouds dissipated - This does not bode well for me. I am affected by wind alot and the heat is my kryptonite.

My water consumption and food bottle for lap one worked. But on lap 2, I had to change. I was overheating quickly. So I began dumping 16oz on my head and drinking 16 oz between every aid station. I did pee at SP needs, only 4 min in SP Needs, so I was hydrated and moved well through the stop.

Lap 2 was definitely harder but had no real cramps just tightness and HR stayed up. In the end, the damage was done. It was a paln change - self management and survival - there was no plan of staying in 130's - it was survive. and finish.

After mile 90, I turned East and was heading home. The final 22 were easy - just flew home, the management of the day allowed for a fast return in the 20 mph range. Only the issue was I was in heat so long and so drained, I lost time on the miles 45-90, the 6hr goal was gone. BUT, I am going to finish the ride.

At the end, I was really ready to be done, but I had one of my best moments of day - seeing whole family at top of helix to greet me. Since the bike goal passed, I just stopped and talked for a few minutes - no rush, expld I will be in transition about 20 mins then gonna walk a while

BIKE SPLIT 1: 54 mi

54 mi (2:58:52)

18.11 mi/h

BIKE SPLIT 2: 94 mi

40 mi (2:34:23)

15.55 mi/h

BIKE SPLIT 3: 112 mi

18 mi (53:57)

20.02 mi/h

TOTAL BIKE

112 mi (6:27:12)

17.36 mi/h

train more - experiment on limited time with more intensity not the best
but had a good ride and it went relatively fast, but had to work for it

did mange heat rel well - drink and dump

but told myself if hot time goal is gone, just finish - cause at the end BOy or Girl?
Transition 2
  • 20m 5s
Comments:

after handing off the ride with shoes still on it, walked inside and did not run anywhere, just a walk, sat down, stretch, drink water, cool off a little, made sure everthing was ready and set, but not much to switch - shorts changed, lube (important), runners on, bike stuff packed, off i go

saw davey here, he was right behind me and looked ready to run
had some tight shoulders - got an ART guy to work it out - much better

filled up water bottles and off to walk the first mile

go faster if time was a concern but knoew I needed to chill and settle down before the run
Run
  • 5h 34m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

started to walk but felt a lump in the left foot
could not foot strike and just walked
saw family agian -- this time luke was asleep, talked for a short time and then went off hbbling and hoping the foot would get better,
stopped and stretch about a miole in - much better and could jog
got to Camp Randall - saw phil
foot still was off and something was in my shoe, stopped and realized I had and endurolytte pack in shoe - and ran 2 miles on it
walked to field and Clint caught up to me, we decided to hang together and make it thru a part of the marathon cause time was gone
now just finish - he was having cramping issues
just walked and talked to mile 15
run at times
commented on others,
really helped pass the first 3plus hours
Brian was with us for awhile too, lost him for about 6 miles but he caught us again
then with 11 to go, my HR was in the 120's again for an average so I thought I would try to run again, I wanted to get home and find out BOy or Girl?
Actually was moving well
ran most of each mile
data to follow
had a few times I had to slow down
walked observatory in thelite this time - looked like a death march up - so slow
power walked alot too
Ford Motivationla mile was broke - but there was dancing and did bust a move on second lap
kept running and really like the music areas - really pumped us up
best support 2 guys on bikes with radio blaring and supporting someone from Minnesota
helped my thru thelast 2 iles - neeed to get th song
rally helped, but at end of State up hil - the legs froae and had to walk
Finish line story and view -
got to wlak the chute for the first time - had adrenaline, but no legs, ti was AWESOME

YOu are an Ironman

ITs A BOY

RUN SPLIT 1: 8.9 mi

8.9 mi (1:54:38)

12:52/mi

RUN SPLIT 2: 13.2 mi

4.3 mi (57:51)

13:27/mi

RUN SPLIT 3: 21.95 mi

8.75 mi (1:48:24)

12:23/mi

RUN SPLIT 4: 26.2 mi

4.25 mi (53:15)

12:31/mi

TOTAL RUN

26.2 mi (5:34:08)

12:45/mi

Maybe try to run more in the first half marathon, but this run was more memorable because we did walk it. MOre fun, more friends, more time - not really an issue. It was not my goal of sub 5 hr, but really a good time that I do not feel bad about
Post race
Warm down:

Med Tent - I was slighlty dizzy, cramping, and still extremely hot. So this was not a warm down - but a cool off. I had Tracy (gofish) walk me to the med tent where I got 5 bags of ice and placed them on me for what seemed like 20 minutes or so. Eventually I was cold and felt better with some water and IMPerform. NOW, I was hungry. Sionce I had really no solids all day, I was starving ( also almost 8 pounds light) so I ate 2 subs, 2 pieces of pizza and the left over penne from Tracy's party. That was good. I also got all my gear fairly quick so we could go back to the room. I wanted to get a beer and hang out at the line, but the body needed to rest.

Last updated: 2011-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:53 | 4224 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/375
Overall: 0/2417
Performance: Average
Suit: full sleeve Helix
Course: 2 laps and a short stick
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average