BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-05-16 1:06 AM
in reply to: #4727229

Subject: RE: MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN

so, my first ever sprint triathlon (or triathlon of any sort) is 3 days away and .  .

I have woken up with a sore throat and running nose.  this is after months of not even a sniffle Frown

any suggestions to minimise the impact of the cold over the next few days / on the day of the race would be greatly appreciated.  

2013-05-16 5:40 AM
in reply to: #4744553

User image

Terry,

That's awesome... have fun on Sunday!  I'll bet that they don't get many signups on Wed before a Sun HIM

2013-05-16 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Welcome back Denise!  Also, welcome to new members Lee and Andrew

Lee - You've worked hard to get this point, now is the time to enjoy.  I know you're stressing out but it sounds like you have a good plan.  Time to relax.  It will get easier as you get more experience.  Also be aware things can go wrong during the race so be prepared to adjust on the fly.  A minor cold should not be an issue.  Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

Andrew - Nutrition is a key component of training and racing.  For shorter races - sprints and Olympic/International - notmuch is needed.  Sports drink on the bike maybe a gel pre-race and towards the end of the bike.  Some like a gel during the run on Olympics but it's probably overkill.  HIM and IM nutrition becomes much more important.  I'll spend some time on those distances later.

Terry - Wow, a WTC event and you can still get in the week before.  That doesn't happen around my area very often.  Have fun on Sunday.  

I will say to all on nutrition - it's a good idea to learn to eat on the bike during training rides.  Try some solids like candy bars, bananas, energy bars, even sandwiches.  Learn to eat while riding, from getting the item out of your jersey/bento box to unwrapping to eating, to storing wrapper.  Do all of this while moving.  We can eat while at a stop but to mimic race conditions you want to learn how to save time while continuing to move.  

2013-05-16 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran

Terry - wow! Now that's a spur of the moment decision!

Welcome Lee and Andrew!! Lee, try to use these next few days to just rest and hydrate.

Denise -  How fast did you go out after the bike? Dehydration might be an issue, too. I try to keep the first part of the run as slow as I can just to get my hamstrings and calves warmed up. I tend to have tight calves coming off the bike.

If a bunch of people are doing the OWS as a group, I would say to go for it. That's pretty expensive, actually, but I really enjoy doing stuff like that as a group. My anxiety gets the better of me when I am doing pretty much any open water stuff alone (should have seen me on my paddle board, all nervous!). So if you do it with a bunch of people, it is safer and more fun.

On that same topic, I just had a group OWS with a few people from my swim class last Monday. It was great. We went to a lake and it was very nice and great for my confidence level. I kept the pace steady, focused on a long reach and full stroke until my hand was all the way down to my thigh. We did several laps around this lake for about an hour, with lots of breaks treading water.

So my second sprint tri is this Sunday. I have not been on my bike once since the last tri on the 20th of April. That's a month. I am super excited about the swim and the run, but what is up with me and the bike!? Why am I avoiding it like this!?

2013-05-17 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4745223

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Terry - Wow, a WTC event and you can still get in the week before.  That doesn't happen around my area very often.  Have fun on Sunday. 

The planets have aligned for me this week.... on Tuesday a friend sold me his slightly used FSA SL-K crankset.  On Wednesday HIM Florida was still open. Yesterday I received an email officially congratulating me and welcoming me as a Hawk-Racing  sponsored athlete. (Hawk-Racing, for ALL your racing needs)

Mike It was a sign... I had originally planned on this race last year, but when Rocketman Florida opened up, I opted for that one.  I have another HIM on June 1. But....I told myself, that if this WTC race was still open by Wednesday, it must be a sign that I was supposed to enter. 

About three weeks ago St. Anthony's triathlon had about 5,000 participants, two weeks ago, Rocketman had about 2,000. in two more weeks in West Palm Beach Motivation Man occurs attracting about 2,000 participants. There are some really quality events within a two month period here. The IM Florida in November sells out in literally two minutes, but the 70.3 is relatively new and has a lot of competition with other races.

Ken - I agree, I will have fun with this race...... I'll use the swim as a warm up to swim in the middle of the pack to prep for the Pan Am Masters in a few weeks, I will use the bike to get used to my new 53/39T crank..... and the run will be with some hills... I'll use that to prepare for the NYC race. (don't be fooled, I have no idea about what all the tech language means........ it just sounds pretty coolCool)

Melissa- I think all of my decisions are spur of the moment, some just have more time to simmer than others

Lee - I agree with mike... relax and enjoy the experience.....

My "A" races are still to come.... The NYC in July and my last HIM in Oct/Nov.

2013-05-20 4:48 AM
in reply to: Lee Geraghty

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Lee... How was the race???

2013-05-20 5:03 AM
in reply to: tmoons

Despite a puncture wrecking the cycle leg - I enjoyed the day.

The sun was out (which is the first time this month in England).

My swim was great - 400m swim plus a 300m run to transition in just over 8 minutes (times TBC). I was first into transition from my wave and second on the road (I do need to learn to get on the bike whilst running!)

9km into the bike I had overtaken some of the earlier starters (and retook someone who went flying by me and then had exploded on a hill), then I had a puncture. I walked 3km to the next marshal point (as I there was no fixing the puncture) I was then given a new inner tube (but the tyre was only at half pressure due to pump issues). Due to my swim seeding I was now the last person out on the course. I arrived back, blasting my legs to make up time, I was encouraged to do the run (even though there was second to last person was 2.5km into their run) and managed to finish the event.

I am so looking forward to next Monday (May 27th Leicester) to my next event - I feel a lot more confident about my equipment / fitness.
Once that event is completed, I have a month before the event (June 30th - Oakham), so I can get some serious run training in and get out and enjoy my bike.

many thanks for all the support to date.

in terms of training for the 5km run - any tips? so far I have been alternating between 10km run sessions (on the road) and speed interval training on the treadmill (1 minute at 17kmh 1 minute at 5kmh) for 25 minutes.

L

2013-05-21 5:38 AM
in reply to: Landmammal

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Ken You are correct.... there were not very many signups at that late date... I was one of the last numbers assigned. My overall HIM time dropped. I learned a lot about when my body begins to do or feel certain ways at different times and miles (40 mile on the bike/the first three miles, and mile 8 of the run).... so I can prepare for that in future races.... it was definitely a very very hot and humid race.

I picked up a few minutes on the swim: it was a funky "M" shaped fiasco. The lake we swam in was not large enough for an out and back. There was a sing that said "No Swimming" and "Beware of Alligators" near the start location on the boat ramp....... motivation? dedication? hmmmmm why do we do this??? I definitely got used to swimming with many people, stayed pretty much where I wanted to be, I thought I would finished a bit faster on that... but i had to leave room for improvement ... ;-)

The bike was a very hilly course with many rolling hills. It may not have been the best day to use the new crankset for the first time, because using a bigger gear to push up the hills was, at times, painful. However...... once set in motion, that big gear cranked and my top end speed was really good. I dropped more time from my bike with an average speed of 15 mph. So, that's an improvement...

The run was a three loop course, beginning with a large hill 1/4 mile into the loop. It was something I had the pleasure of walking up three times. I met some really nice people along the way. I stopped at every water station and filled my hat and back shirt pockets up with ice to keep my temperature down.

It was about 90/32c degrees and no shade. there was a headwind along the middle portion of the bike course and the water was very nice temperature, not wetsuit legal. My hydration plan worked well. Drink every ten minutes, take my little electrolyte tabs every 45 minutes, eat a gel every 30-40 minutes and banana when I began and when I finished the bike course.

I will say this... The people of Haines City were wonderful. Many came out with hoses for the runners, sat out in their yards and applauded and were really nice to us.
2013-05-21 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Hey guys! Sorry I've been off line for so long. It's been the end of school so I've been very busy but finished up yesterday so off for the summer. It is usually a very happy time for me but hard to be very jubilant when watching all my fellow Oklahomans suffering in Moore.

I will try and catch up on all the posts I've missed in the last 2 weeks.
2013-05-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Emile, I'm glad you're ok. I was wondering how you and your family were doing. My lap top and tablet are on the mend , so I'm limited to my work PC at the office to post for the time being.
2013-05-22 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Welcome Lee and Andrew!

Ken - How is the swimming going? Have you got to the 500meters straight so you can join the masters group?

Melissa- How is your swim training going for your 2.4mi ows?

Terry - Love the new avatar!

I got up this morning and got in 1800meters in the pool and then ran for 28min when I got home. I recently purchased a ipod that is waterproof for swimming. Let me tell you it is awesome! It actually makes swimming tolerable.

2013-05-22 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
By the way what is everybody thinking about the site upgrade? So far I'm not liking it real well but hopefully it will grow on me.
2013-05-22 11:49 AM

User image

I'm swimming MWF and started last week. So, I've done 5 workouts so far. I'm getting a little further and a little more comfortable each time but sort of run out of steam and start having bad form after about 16 laps (800 yards). I'm not even trying to do them continuously yet, taking little breathers at the both ends. I think after a few more sessions I'll progress to some continuous laps and hopefully in a few weeks will be able to to pass the test to join the master group.. but I really have no idea how fast progress is going to be. I'm also reading the swimsmooth book and referring back to it quite a bit. I'm currently working on making sure my arms don't cross over and keeping my hand position correct. Also starting to get into a rythmn every once in a while with the breathing and catching the bow wave. I still suck in mouthfuls of water alot though.

I'm finding that I can only swim for about 30-40 minutes then it seems I might be doing more harm than good (form wise).

This got me to thinking... what is the typical amount of time that everyone usually spends in a swimming workout? 30-40 minutes seems really short and I think its hampering my progress so I hope I can increase this as I *hopefully* improve my technique and swim fitness.

I like the way my body feels after a swimming workout. Its much different than running, biking, or lifting weights and kind of hard to describe but is a pleasant, tired sort of feeling
2013-05-22 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Ken - Sounds like you are doing great! On your question about length of time in the pool. I like going for about an hour. Although if pressed for time I can get a good workout in 30min. I remember you stating on our old thread that you drag your legs. I have the same problem. Several of things that have helped me are 1. after each breath press your head back down into the water where only a little bit of the back of your head is exposed. 2. try leaving 1 of your eyes under water when taking a breath 3. mix in short sets with a pull buoy. The pull buoy has helped my swimming more than anything. It lets me feel what good body position in the water is suppose to feel like. I will do 10-20 x 50m with pull buoy almost everytime I go to the pool but I do all my longer sets 100m and up without the buoy. Take all my advice with a grain of salt because I'm not a good swimmer. But by concentrating on those things I told you and getting to the pool regularly I went from being winded by 25m to swimming 1.2miles in 7 months.
2013-05-22 12:41 PM

User image

Emile, thanks... I appreciate your advice! Its great to hear from someone who used to be where I'm at now and helps me get an idea of how long to expect for progress to occur

On your other question, I like the *look* of the new site but having a hard time getting used to using it. I think the training log is better. I haven't tried it yet from my phone, hopefully it works as well as the old one which I thought worked pretty well.
2013-05-23 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
hey guys... i uploaded some photos from this past weekend Ironman Florida 70.3.

I dropped one hour from my last Ironman time......seven months ago. I know where to lose more.... talk to everyone more once my laptop gets up and running.

2013-05-23 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Terry - Awesome pics! I really like the one with the side view on your bike. I'm ready to hear the details of the race.
2013-05-23 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I got in a short brick today 45min on the bike followed by 14min run. Also, got in 20min of strength training. I've decided to try and do 2 x 20min strength sessions a week and concentrate on strengthening areas that have been injury prone mainly lower leg/foot and shoulder. Hopefully this will help me stay injury free for the rest of the year.

How is everybody's training going this week?
2013-05-23 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
The new format: organized but distracting to me. I will get used to the change, but right now I don't love it.

Lee: Congrats on a strong finish despite the puncture!! It sounds like you are very ready for Monday's race - good luck!!

Emile: So sorry to hear about the devastating tornadoes - things must be very emotional there now with families trying to piece their lives together. It's so hard to even read about, especially when so many children are affected. What a terrifying thing to happen.

I like your idea to add the strength training in. It's surely a good idea to focus on those injury-prone areas.

KenL: Good progress on the swims! I find that moving to 3 swim workouts a week has helped me so much. That, and adding drills into every workout, too. Maybe you could try working in a few 100 yds drills or even 50 of drills when you feel yourself reaching that point when your form is suffering. Our coaches are also always reminding us to include a few lengths of easy pace, and count the strokes on those lengths. Basically, reducing your strokes per length is a great way to be able to add distance without tiring yourself out.

Terry: Congratulations to you on those incredible improvements on the HIM! Wow, that is some phenomenal improvement despite the brutal heat. Good idea to pack ice in your pockets. Now, where do you plan on focusing for your next race, since you mentioned cutting off even more time? Love the avatar pic, too!

My tri last Sunday (a sprint) was fantastic. I improved over 2 minutes on a 600 yd swim, putting me 29th overall in the women in swimming and making that my strongest leg! Wow, I was excited about that! The bike was good but not great. It seemed to take me half of the 12 mile course to feel warmed up. The run was uneventful, pretty good but not great. It was all good enough to give me a time that was just 18 seconds slower than my PR (last summer) and 3rd place in my AG. So I was happy, and very motivated to get better on my bike!!
2013-05-24 11:20 AM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Melissa - Awesome improvement on the swim. 2min on one leg of a sprint is huge! Congrats on the 3rd place finish!

Ken - I agree with Melissa the 3 swim workouts a week will help a lot. I'm just about to add a third swim a week myself. Also, I like her advice on adding some 50's or 100's. I think slowly adding the extra length will help in your progress. You might add the 50 or 100 at the beginning of your workout when you are still feeling strong and then when you start tiring out drop down to 25's.

I got up this morning and got in 1800 meters at the pool and when I got home a did a short run. This afternoon I have a 60min ride with 4x5min intervals in Z4 scheduled. Although between now and my ride I need to clean house and do some laundry. When I'm off in the summers I try and do all the cleaning and cooking since my wife isn't a teacher and still has to work.

I hope everybody is having a great day!
2013-05-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: melanfi

hi,

yes I am looking forward to Monday.
I have had two very good rides this week and attended a swimming session (ran by Leicester Triathlon club).

the swim session was excellent - 1 hour technique + time trial and 1 hour endurance.
I managed 6.31 for 400m and could maybe have gone quicker, as I was quite relaxed and did not want to push it (as it was my first night!).

I also learnt

(i) how much easier it is to follow someone. We did 18 x 100m (at 1min 50), but by following others in the lance, this was OK.

(ii) breathing during an open water swim is going to be tricky (we practiced looking forward occasionally to sight, and this disrupted by usual 4 strokes per breath.
(iii) a mass sprint (which we tried at the end) is pretty scary, with far too many elbows and kness!!

roll on Monday!!

L

2013-05-24 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Lee - Sounds like a good swim seminar. Your a pretty strong swimmer. I wish I could post a 400meter time like that and that was your easy pace.
2013-05-25 2:17 AM

re "easy pace" i suspect being relaxed and not pushing too early helped lots.
I have recorded a 6.25 before and was completely shattered.

I think coming out of the swim on Monday @ 6.30 pace would be perfect, i.e. thinking clearly, not too tired, rather than pushing it too hard and maybe costing myself more time due to a mistake on transition.

L
2013-05-25 3:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
New format: Still figuring out where everything is. It's easier to upload data from the Garmin.

Hey, Melissa.... I agree - two minutes off a sprint swim time is an amazing performance.
I'm glad everyone is doing well and training hard.

Melissa, the times keep falling for my HIM primarily because of the bike splits. I have spent many hours and miles in the saddle and it seems to be paying off. The long rides are beginning to translate into better times. One of my goals is to get to 20mph/32kph for the distance and I'm only at about 15 mph/24kph. I believe the bike times will become even better for the remaining races this year.

Along with that, the run times will be better, i just need to suck it up a bit more on that end. The last race was difficult for me on the run because there were several hills and there are no hills where i live or run. I will have to add the Intracoastal waterway and run over the bridges for that training. So, for the recent past race I floundered up the hills, walking mostly. There were no issues with the knee. After the last knee issues I spent a lot of time in the gym doing strength training, and will continue to do that up until Wednesday before this next weekends race. Swimming is the other area to improve. I intend to knock off another 20-30 minutes from my times. I just need to spend more time doing speed work in the pool, the endurance is definitely there.

After next weekend, I will have completed 3 HIM races within a month. (May 5 - June 1) It wasn't in the original annual plan, But I'm glad it worked out that way. After two, I am completely exhausted, both physically and mentally. It takes about three days to get over the ache of the race and another day off before I can get running again. And even with that, it's more of a maintenance run than a training run. My diet is off.... All I want to do is sleep and I constantly yawn..... I think its changing the way I'll approach training, but can't say exactly how yet, other than to be more relaxed about the whole thing. After next week I have a July 14 Olympic Distance race then almost two months off.

I had to send in a photo of myself to the USMS for my credentials for the upcoming Pan American Masters Swim Competition. I am competing in the 1km distance event. It's an open water sprint. So, after the June 1, HIM, Ive got about 12 days to prepare for the OWS race. That ought to begin the better time in the swim event focus.

Well, the lap top is repaired..... the tablet, not so much....... why is it that everything happens AFTER the warranty expires??? I'm beginning to consider blaming everything on Monsanto from now on.....

2013-05-25 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Terry - I'm the worlds worst at listening to my body so I'm not sure I should even be giving you this advice because I never listen to it myself. But your body may be trying to tell you something if you are feeling that tired all the time. You have really been pushing it lately with all of your races and your body may be telling you that you need a break. Last year about a month out from my 70.3 I started feeling the same way and ignored it and kept training hard the next thing I know I'm having a lot of heart palpations which scared the living day lights out of me. Ended up missing 2 weeks of training because I had to go to a heart specialist and get put through all kinds of tests. Everything came back normal but I really think one of the main reasons I started having the palpations was my body was revolting telling me it needed a break.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 25