General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 05m 26s
Overall Rank = 3150/8639
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 285/516
Pre-race routine:

The race started at 6:30, so I was up at 4:30 to eat breakfast take a wake-up shower and watch the weather. All week the news was saying it was going to rain so I prepared for rain but hoped for the best. I live about 15 minutes away from downtown do I was out the door by 5:30 so I could find parking.
Event warmup:

The Start and Finish line are about a mile apart so I decided to park closer to the finish line so I would have less of a walk after I was done. So my warm-up consisted of walking about 2 miles to the start line, jogging to the bag drop then working my way into the mass of 30k people for the start of the race. This was my first HM so I didn’t really know what to expect. My girlfriend has ran a few HM's and ran the Flying Pig last year so it was nice to have her there to show me the ropes.
Run
  • 2h 05m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

As I have mentioned above this was my first HM. I went into the race with a goal of finishing under 2 hours, but would still be happy with anything under 2:10. Most of my runs I was usually carrying at 8:45-9:00 minute mile so I thought the 2 hour goal was pretty realistic. For the start of the race we were in the middle of the pack, so the first 2-3 miles was basically finding someone around your speed and just running behind them instead of weaving in out of people. Those first 2-3 miles of the run are right next to the Ohio river with the bridge we will eventually be crossing in the background. With all the predictions of rain for the race, we were lucky enough to have mother nature give us a beautiful sunrise over the river and about 100k screaming fans. For those who don’t know about the Flying Pig, it has become a huge party here in Cincinnati, and has moved up in the ranks as being one of the most spectator friendly marathons out there.
I ran with my G/F for the first 5 miles, we were running at a 9:20 pace (a bit slower than I wanted) but none the less it was great to share this experience with her. In preparation for the race I was drinking lots of water, so by the 3rd mile I had to pee. With no porta potties in sight (they start at about mile 5) I found a nice tree next to a bridge and took a nice bathroom break. I told my G/F to keep going as I would catch up to her. I caught up to her at about mile 4 ½ and told her that at mile 5 I was going to go ahead of her. Mile 5 is right through the heart of downtown so imagine running down the street with thousands of people screaming and yelling.. It was a great high before the low of the race.
The Pig is also known as one of the hilliest courses out there. Miles 6-9 are all uphill with no breaks, flats, or downhill’s. Leading into mile 6 I grabbed a half of a banana but took 2 bites then tossed it as it just didn’t taste good.. Knowing the next 3 miles were going to be pretty tough I tried taking a few bites of a power bar, but like the banana it didn’t taste all that good.. Oh well, I grabbed some Gatorade at the water station instead. About mile 8 I knew the last mile of hills was the worst, by this time I was getting pretty hungry and my stomach wasn’t feeling too hot… Mile 9 is where the half and full split, so you can imagine how crazy it was and how many people were there..
I never knew, nor realized how much spectators can pump you up and dig deeper. With the kick from the thousands of people cheering I pushed through the last bit of hills knowing the last 4 miles were either flat or down hill. I really pushed my pace the last 3 miles knowing I would have to run close at a 7:30 mile to break the 2 hour mark, but I figured what the hell and went for it. The last 3 miles flew by an I made up some decent ground. Coming down the finishing shoot I knew I wasn’t going to break 2:00 hours but I couldn’t have been more excited about my first HM.
Having completed the HM it gives me the confidence in knowing a full isnt out of reach and i am setting my sights on the Columbus full in October.

What would you do differently?:

Seeing that is was my first race, I really wanted to enjoy it and take in the sights and sounds. Running the first 5 miles with my GF were great but my next race I will run at my own pace instead of hers.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water then waited for my GF and my sister. I was a lot of fun talking with all of the other finishers.

Event comments:

The race was great and the volunteers were even better.. A HUGE thanks to everyone who was involved in making the race happen.

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/516
Overall: 0/8639
Performance: Good
Course: Miles 1-5 are pretty steady. Had to cross 3 bridges so the short steep shots burn you legs a bit. Miles 6-9 are all uphill, and 9-13 is basically down hill or flat
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

2013-05-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4729089

Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

Congrats on a good race.  

I agree the crowds downtown and at the split are just incredible and you can see a noticeable increase in my speed from those sections.   The crowd support is great and makes it such a fun race and help push you to go harder than you thought you could.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed