General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke River Swim - 3 Mile (2 mile) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nanticoke River Swim - 3 Mile (2 mile) - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bivalve, Maryland
United States
Nanticoke RIver Swim & Triathlon
59F / 15C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 7s
Overall Rank = 87/92
Age Group = 65-69
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Early breakfast 6Am egg sausage bagel w/ peanut butter and honey, OJ and water.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay warm
Swim
  • 1h 31m 7s
  • 2897 meters
  • 03m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Coast guard was tempted to but a small craft warning out that would have canceled swim. Wing over 15 knots fro NE strong rising tide, 2+ft swells with some white caps. Original race was to be two laps but decision was made to do only one while swimmers were out. First leg was with the tide but directly into the wind, ok. Second leg was with tide and wind at 90 deg from opposite directions, tide from my left wave from right took a long lime with a lot of course correction but still making progress and keeping up with other swimmers despite doing a lot of breaststroke, also drank a lot of bay water as the waves were on the same side I breath. Third leg was back to the jetties waves now on my left. Here is were the problems began from the second buoy to and into the jetties I got a series of leg cramps the required me to turn on my back to rest. As I progressed the cramps got worst and more frequent. I actual walked? backwards the last 200 yards to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Have a drink and some beans or gel 10-15 minutes before start, this may have been what contributed to my cramping in the third leg. Also the large amount of breaststroke I did because of the poor conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

They gave be a space blanket to help warm up after the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water conditions, chop wind and tide and maybe temperature.

Last updated: 2012-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:31:07 | 2897 meters | 03m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 87/92
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleveless wetsuit
Course: 1/2mile out to 1 mile triangle course and back. Because of conditions the start of the swims were delayed until after the triathletes did their shorter swims within the two jetties about 35 minutes. This was almost 1:30 after I has my last drink and a bag of beans.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-06 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Newport News
Subject: Nanticoke River Swim - 3 Mile (2 mile)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke River Swim - 3 Mile (2 mile) Rss Feed