General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orca vs Ironman Wetsuits Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-12 11:06 AM

Subject: Orca vs Ironman Wetsuits
Hey all, I am in the market for my first wetsuit. I have been told to purchase the Orca by some friends, however there are half a dozen options and different price ranges. I am a beginner but feel that I should be buying a suit the would allow for some upward progession for improvement. Sports Basement and a decent selection, and am leaning towards the Evo for price and versitility.

http://www.sportsbasement.com/jump.jsp?iShadCat=1744&itemID=8748&it...

I also found a place on ebay with an older model of Orca's high end PFLEX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180006176396&ssp...

for the extra $50.00 it seemas like a no brainer. Does anybody have some useful feedback on these suits or possibly a recommendation on another suit for an entry level with aspirations? Thanks so much. Dutch

2006-07-12 6:56 PM
in reply to: #480189

Subject: RE: Orca vs Ironman Wetsuits
come on aren't there any knowledgable tri-wetsuit people out there that might have an opinion????
2006-07-13 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Wetsuits are all about fit... (wow, never thought I'd say anything was about the fit rather than the bling...)

Independent testing has shown that there is limited speed differences provided by the bling bits (forearm panels etc), however more expensive wetsuits tend to fit better. They use higher quality neoprene and spend more time tailoring it in the right places. However, if you then go and get completely the wrong size or wrong "cut" for you then you've lost all of those benefits.

I had my heart set on the P-Flex (current model that makes you look like an "Incredible") but when I tried it on it was totally the wrong fit for me, so finished up with the Ironman Stealth which has been perfect for me.

So? Either get thee down to a shop where you can try things on, or buy it from somewhere you can send it back if its the wrong size.

The other brand you should try is DeSoto, heard nothing but good things.
2006-07-13 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
The P-Flex is a great deal. But as others have stated, it doesn't matter how nice the suit is if it doesn't fit you correctly. Your best bet would be to try some on and figure out what fits best, then look for the best deal for that particular suit. Although I tend to prefer to buy from my local shop if they spend time assisting me.
2006-07-13 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
I am tall and relatively thin, female, and I have an Ironman that fits really well. One of my girlfriends is short and more stocky (not fat, it's all muscle) and she has an Orca that she loves. We both researched like crazy and we both are thrilled with our purchases. I have no idea if that is helpful or just a waste of space :-).
2006-07-14 12:14 PM

Thanks everyone, I am off to sports basement to find the best fit.

Aloha

2006-07-15 12:21 PM

User image

New user

I purchased an ORCA APEX and have loved it. I went cheap on the bike and the shoes but I figured the swim was the one event where there was a possibility of drowning so I went high end. Maybe it is flawed logic but I do love the suit and if you take care of it, will last for many seasons.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Orca vs Ironman Wetsuits Rss Feed