Eau Claire Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 50s
Overall Rank = 478/1026
Age Group = 31-40
Age Group Rank = 82/201
Pre-race routine:

Oh man. I was SICK from Wednesday to Saturday. Like call into work, cant get out of bed, no working out, no energy, sick. If this race would have been on Saturday, I wouldn't have done it, but i was feeling better Sat night so I decided I'd do it. I KNEW it was going to be slow but I didn't think it's be as painful as it was. ugh...
Event warmup:

none. Stood around in the parking lot chit chatting with friends before the start. Made my way to the starting line just before some girl *with the most AMAZING voice EVER sang the national anthem - best one i've ever heard at a race - wow!) Stood in line for a few minutes near the 4 hour marathon pacers then started.
Run
  • 2h 01m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I did my first mile around 8:30. It was WORK and should have felt like a good, strong pace. Then the miles got slower from there. By mile 2 i KNEW it was going to be a long day. I decided to walk through all the water stops. I just kinda kept trudging along, but it never, ever felt good. It always felt like WORK and i felt like i had no energy. I have to constantly fight the urge to walk and had to talk myself into believing it was almost over. It was dissapointing to get passed by so many people and to not perform well in my home town race, BUT i prob shouldn't have done this race at all considering how sick i was. It was a super nice day out though - it would have been perfect pr weather. and it was a very good lesson in embracing the suck, because i was in the hurt locker the whole way. Slowest HM ever.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 231/201
Overall: 478/1026
Performance: Bad
Course: From the website: This scenic route has the same start and finish as the full marathon and marathon relay races. The route utilizes our city streets and area bike trails, with multiple river crossings. Like the marathon, the second half of the race is essentially flat or downhill until the up-and-over finish back into Carson Park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes