United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Wake at 5:00, made a Kale smoothie and drove down to Clemson. Picked up Race Packet, got marked and set up my transition. Visited the little triathlete's room to get rid of some excess weight :)
Event warmup:

Mile run with Jamie followed by a few hundred yard swim to test the water. Decided to wear a wetsuit in this race.
Swim
  • 13m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Madhouse! Feet and arms everywhere! I really did take this too hard. I think I got caught up in the excitement. I was pretty tired the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax at the beginning of the swim. Take it easy until I get into a groove and then pick it up as I feel better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

As I exited the water, I could tell I was dead tired. Couldn't run very fast at all to transition. Didn't lose my goggles and earplugs this time though! Got my wetsuit off easily. However, the racks they have at Setup Events didn't make it easy for me to get my bike out of the rack. It pretty much got stuck and cost me a few seconds as I wriggled it out underneath. Wish they had the racks like REV3 has. No need to mess around with any of that.

Practice unracking from rack before the race so I know EXACTLY what I need to do.
Bike
  • 31m 51s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt really good on this bike. Averaged ALMOST 21 mph and didn't feel too bad. Passed a lot of folks and even was able to pass some guys later who previously passed me earlier on the bike course.

I felt pretty good here, not much I would do differently.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Racked bike easily since my neighbor's bike wasn't there anymore, so I could angle it in.

Not much. Just a standard uneventful T2
Run
  • 25m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Well... This is where the race just killed me. I was GASSED. My HR was sky high and my legs were sore. Started getting a cramp at mile 1 and just couldn't go as fast as I normally can go. This is all my fault too. I shouldn't have done that FTP bike test on Wednesday. I had no idea I wouldn't be recovered from it by Saturday. Anyhoo, I went from 3rd or 4th place to 6th place on this leg of the race. Pretty disappointed. Oh well! Won't make that mistake ever again :) If that's what really caused it. If not, I need to figure out what else did.

No FTP tests the week of a race! Even if it's not a race that fits directly into my IM training plan! I know we weren't tapering, but going all out like that really hurt my run. I felt it on my Friday afternoon training session too. Horrible!
Post race
Warm down:

Coke, talked with friends, (There were a lot of people I knew at this race) ate some food and packed up. Went to Chipotle with my fiancee and Jamie. Then we warmed down with a 5hr 22min, 75 mile ride to Keowee Toxaway :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

FTP Test

Event comments:

I liked this race and this course. Next time I will be ready for it!

Last updated: 2013-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:08 | 820 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/19
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: 750m lake swim. Big square course. Swim about 250 to the first buoy, 90 degree turn and 350 to the next buoy, 90 degree turn and 250 to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:51 | 11 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/19
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: One looper through the outskirts of Clemson and the backroads in the next town over (Seneca). Big uphill toward the beginning, then some rolling hills and then a super fast downhill.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with a KILLER hill close to the turn around.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-12 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: Clemson Triathlon

2013-05-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4738478

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Clemson Triathlon
Given your week, I think this was a very good performance.  Can't imagine doing that long ride you did afterwards.  Crazy.
2013-05-12 5:46 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Tough racing back to back weeks....especially when you train hard the week in between. Still a solid result.
2013-05-12 6:57 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm with Suzy...I can't fathom the ride afterwards.  Props to you for a solid finish even with the fatigue in the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clemson Triathlon Rss Feed