Set Up Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 42s
Overall Rank = 58/265
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early in the morning to get going. Had a smoothie, banana, and cup of coffee while driving to race venue.
Event warmup:

Go into transition to get everything set up. Walked around and talked with some friend before getting on my bike and riding out for about 10 minutes at an easy pace with high cadence to get legs warm. Went for a 8 minute run before putting wetstuit on and heading to lake.
Swim
  • 13m 15s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went really well. The start was a little crazy. We waded out to chest deep water for the start. Once started it took about 25m to find some open space to get into a rythm. Once in a rytm everything feel perfectly into place. Felt like I was going pretty straight out. Did not draft on anyone but did catch a few packs in front of me. When I was coming back to shore and stood up I felt like my chest was being crushed. The wetsuit became very constricting and I was half way panicing to get it off my chest. Not used to swimming in wetsuits.
What would you do differently?:

Try to find someone to draft off of instead of pushing through myself. Learn the feeling of the wetsuit around my chest and try not to panic and spike heart rate getting out of water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Realized half way through swim leg that I had forgotten to take my GU before race. Reached in bag and right after stripping wetuit off to get GU. Ate GU while getting helmet and shoes on.

Remember to take GU before race.
Bike
  • 32m 54s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I never had to get out of the saddle to get up them, very few times even had to come out of aero to crank on the pedals. There was an awesome downhill at mile 9. Got low into aero and just pushed it down the hill. Was just shy of hitting 40 mph on the downhill and was fun as hell. Allowed my to just hammer it into the T2 transition knowing it was just a couple miles left.

Push a little harder on the hil climbs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Transition went really well. I was able to take a few breaths to calm down heart rate before heaidng out on run. Did put socks and shoes on. Grabbed, race belt and off I went.

Possibly learn to run without socks on sprint distances.
Run
  • 22m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went great. Exiting out of the transition I was working to get legs loosened up. It took about a half mile before I was able to get into a rythm. The overall pace plan was for 7:15/mile for the run. First mile went out at a 7:02. Was feeling good and passing a couple people. At mile 2 I looked ahead and saw a guy with a 32 on his calf. Knowing he was in my age group I fought to catch him before the steap climb leading to the turn around point. Passed him right at start of the climb and used the turn around to pull away from him. Mile 2 pace was 7:50 due to the climbs. Mile 3 started and I was using a college level racer as my rabbit, he was trying to play games by passing me fast then going slowing pace and back and forth. Decided to end that and used the gradual climb to pull away from him. Mile 3 pace was 7:19...finished with last 1/4 mile at a 6:20 pace.

Not much, maybe work on bike to run to get legs to loosen up sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. Walked around talking to friends I had not seen in a very long time and enjoyed the social aspect of racing.

Event comments:

Clemson Triathlon is definitely a good race. Very well put and on and very well organized. Definitley enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2013-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:15 | 820 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 46/265
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless 2XU
Course: Course was a triangular shape swim. Very well laid out with good siting bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:54 | 11 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 86/265
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a 1 loop around with rolling hills. Long descent at mile 9.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:38 | 03.11 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 81/265
Course: out and back loop. Gradual descent with sharp steep climb near the turn around onto of the lake damn. Gradual climp back up to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes