General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Katy, Texas
United States
Houston Racing Triathlon Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 33/35
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am. Got dressed and headed to the kitchen to start looking for some food. Jeanette (Nette213) stayed over so she wouldn't have a long drive in on race morning. We ate some peanut butter toast and I had a banana. I drank some Propel water. I prepared my two bottles of Accelerade for the race. Jeanette and I loaded up our bags, the kids, Randy and ourselves and the bikes - and off we went at 5am.
Event warmup:

My warm up consisted of standing out in the heat and setting up my transition area. Actually after transition was set up, Joe (Freeswimmingfish) was getting in some laps and encouraged me to warm up. I got in a lap and got out to let others do the same. Then later after waiting a while, Bonnie (Mrs Fish), Jeanette, my brother(Abe)and I
went and swam some in a non-racing area before Bonnie was about to start. It helped me. It was really nice hanging out with friends and family while I was waiting to start the race.
Swim
  • 09m 5s
  • 300 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went pretty well. I passed two and was passed by two or maybe three. I felt good and didn't get out of breath. I concentrated hard on remaining calm and relaxed (as much as possible) which really helped. I did better than I originally thought I could do. I turned in a time of 12:00 for the pool swim so I was happy with 9:05. There were a couple of times that the folks in front of me were slowing me down and I had to stop and stand up. Other than that, it went well.
What would you do differently?:

Turn in a more accurate time!
Transition 1
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I was a little winded coming out of the pool so I did a slow jog from the pool to the transition area. I knew right where my bike was and had no problems finding my spot. I threw my goggles and cap down, sat down, dried off my feet, put on my gloves, socks, shoes and helmet. I grabbed my bike and walked somewhat carefully in my shoes (I'm not used to them yet). I crossed the mounting line and had trouble getting my cleat into the clip. I took my time since I didn't want to FALL! This was only my second time to ride with my new clip pedals. So I was nervous. Once I got my first foot clipped in, I pushed off and the other one clipped in pretty easily.

Practice running in my cleats and clipping in.
Bike
  • 53m 1s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't have much energy during my ride. I was struggling to maintain even a slow speed of around 14mph. I was passed up by a couple of people at the beginning of my ride (one of them being my friend, Jamie, from my gym). Then I made my first turn...the scenery was really nice. I think I was focusing more on that than cycling. I saw some horses and one was really pretty...he had his head over the fence and was intently watching the cyclists. I couldn't help myself...I had say "Hi" to him. He (or she) had really beautiful crystal blue eyes. After that encounter, I saw a guy on the side of the road fixing the chain on the mountain bike. (He was the only person I passed! LOL) I was feeling good about myself! LOL
I was passed by some more cyclist and then low and behold - the mountain bike guy passed me too! I tried so hard to keep up with him. I stayed behind him for most of the ride...getting close and then he would speed up again everytime someone passed us. I never was able to pass him...but I stayed not far behind. I tried to stay hydrated during the ride and only drank one of my bottles of Accelerade.

I am going to lengthen my ride distances to increase my stamina and speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T-2 time was included in the bike time.

I don't know...since I don't know how long I took! I think it went okay. I CAREFULLY dismounted before the line and ran into the transition area. I racked my bike and changed shoes. I removed my gloves and helmet. I put on my cap and took off.
Run
  • 48m 13s
  • 3 miles
  • 16m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Time included T-2 and cycling time.
My low back didn't bother me too bad on the swim or bike but it really was bothering me during the run. I walked alot of the run. Towards the last mile of the run...I started getting abdominal cramps on my left side.
I was tired and wasn't feeling good and I STRUGGLED with the run. When I began approaching the finish line...I heard my friends and family yelling for me...I saw Jeanette and JL cheering me on...then I heard Joe really yelling...I mustered up the last bit of energy I had and ran in across the finish line. (Thanks Joe and Bonnie!) My daughters and Randy were cheering me on at the finish line!!! I did it!!! The ice cold towel was nice at the finish. Robert (tag) came and congratulated me on the finish. Then I headed to get some food. My brother came over and we congratulated each other. I ate and talked to friends and family. Then, we noticed that the transition racks were being dismantled, so we headed to get our stuff before our bikes were set on the ground.

Run...run...run. No more elliptical training since the knee is better.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate food with the cold towel on my neck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still weigh too much.

Event comments:

I will do it again next year! I need to beat my 2006 time!

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:05 | 300 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Danskin Trisuit
Course: Pool swim snaking across the lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:01 | 12 miles | 13.58 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back down country roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:13 | 03 miles | 16m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-13 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

2006-07-14 12:21 AM
in reply to: #482233

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon

You did great!!!

Congratulations on another well run race!!!

2006-07-14 7:51 AM

Master
Houston

Great job Lisa, you have a lot of heart and determination!!  Thanks, again for your hospitality, it was a great help not having to drive from home to get to the race. 

I am looking forward to Cinco Ranch, it will be our 4th race together!

2006-07-14 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Great job Lisa! Sounds like youkept your head on tight through the whole race and did just what you needed to do, which is awesome. Soooo much of this thing is mental.

Keep tri'ing girl... and watch out 2007!
2006-07-14 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job!  I'm so glad you weren't in any pain!
2006-07-15 10:08 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Nicely Done!

2006-07-15 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Great Job! 
2006-07-18 11:14 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Great race, you are improving with every race, nothing beats race experience.

Glad to hear that your knee is fine again.

Getting the cramps with a mile to go, only shows that you where racing hard and almost had the perfect pace. Maybe you where struggling, but you can be very proud of what you did, you had to fight for it and you won

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jeff & Brede's Intergalactic Triathlon Rss Feed