General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-15 9:42 PM

Veteran
Subject: First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips
I have been so frightened to try this, but faced my fears and did the Swim for the Dolphins one mile ocean swim in Wildwood, NJ. I think I was last, but I was just happy to finish. I got through the waves okay, although slowly, but couldn't get any good form in the up and down roller coaster ride. I was very slow as I wasn't efficient with my stroke. Then I felt like I was swimming diagonally towards the flags as the waves were pushing me to the shore (I think).
Plus it was very hard to sight as the flags were at 1/4 mile and it was hazy. Also, when I was coming into the shore, it was hard to swim as the undertow was strong.
I'd like to try one again (my biggest fear was getting stung by a jellyfish which many did), but need some tips to be more successful. I am just delighted to have finished intact.
You should have seen the smile on my face!
Tips, please!

2006-07-16 2:22 AM
in reply to: #483686

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips

Practice.  OW is a different animal, and it sounds like you did really well for your first one.  See if you can find a group that goes, or sign up for a class and just swim more often in the ocean.  It will get easier over time.

BTW, if there is a strong current, you WILL end up swimming diagonally, so that sounds about right.  There are some things you can do, like swim towards a higher point and then the current will carry you down towards the buoy, etc.

As far as sighting when it's hard to see - one thing you may be able to do is the find the flag, then look beyond it to sight on something bigger/more stable. This works the best when you are coming into shore.  Other stuff - sight on the safety kayak, or you can also just follow the rest of the mad swimmers (sight on the froth of swim caps ahead of you...)

Good job!

2006-07-16 10:31 AM
in reply to: #483686

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Subject: RE: First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips
We had a club open water swim outing yesterday and we practiced sighting.....the coach send us off to a buoy about 5-600 yds, out. To make his point he also send a fast swimmer off as a decoy in a slightly different direction. Half the swimmers followed her, everybody sighted off each other and all ended up in the weeds. This is not uncommon in races either, have seen hundreds of swimmers go of course. The more swimmers there are, the more people think we must be on course.

Most of us tend to sight off each other because it is easy to do and that is not good. Trick is to sight against something to the side off you, the sun, the beach, trees somethibng you keep equidistant to so you swim straight. It needs to be on the side you breathe. You want to avoid sighting in front of you as you have to pull your head out of the water and basically come to a stop....breaks your momentum and other swimmers will swim in to you from behind.

Congrats on the swim, sounds like you felt very challenged but also accomplished!

Edited by us50090 2006-07-16 10:32 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Ocean Swim Race-Finished, but need tips Rss Feed