General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Not a bad exit strategy..." Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-31 5:07 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: "Not a bad exit strategy..."
There's a terrific article in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated, called "Mud, Sweat, and Beers." It focuses on the rise in popularity of endurance sports in America, including triathlon. There's also some extensive commentary from Competitor magazine co-founder Bob Babbitt, who ran last year's Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon dressed as Elvis, along with the article's author, Austin Murphy. I particularly enjoyed the last couple of paragraphs of the article:

(Bob) Babbitt is the Zelig and Bill Veeck of endurance sports, beloved by thousands, so it was no surprise to see him exchanging affectionate greetings with Kendall Webb last Aug. 26. Both men were competing in the Surf Town Triathlon and Duathlon in Imperial Beach, Calif. Webb, a remarkably fit 80-year-old, finished first in his age group in the duathlon, took a few steps past the line, collapsed and died.

"Not a bad exit strategy, if you think about it," Babbitt said at the hotel bar in Vegas, gazing into his second pint with his pompadour pitched precariously forward, like a rodent contemplating a leap into the cocktail mix. "You won your age group, you're smiling, sweaty, happy, high-fiving people as you cross the line, then boom! "

We raised a glass to Kendall Webb and agreed that if his was the fate awaiting us, well, then, we were O.K. with that.

2013-05-31 5:11 PM
in reply to: sdswriter

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: "Not a bad exit strategy..."
I'm hoping its after I win the 80-89 age group and not the 30-34 that I compete in now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Not a bad exit strategy..." Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First run after surgery today...not bad!

Started by skipg
Views: 1018 Posts: 5

2008-09-29 7:48 PM KathyG

Careful out on the road...this is BAD,BAD,BAD

Started by Z-dog
Views: 2922 Posts: 22

2008-05-12 1:19 PM eberulf

D'oh - not good - I'm a bad person Pages: 1 2

Started by kevmk81
Views: 1992 Posts: 29

2008-01-02 12:33 PM smilford

60 degree water - not so bad

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1025 Posts: 9

2007-05-22 2:30 PM kenail

60 miles today - not bad for a middle aged fat guy

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1430 Posts: 12

2006-04-02 7:50 PM Rogillio
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
The doctor says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I’m not taking this very well. Can I recover from this? Where should I go from here?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Just because it makes you want to cheer, here are some more video clips.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!